Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - GPS
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Hi All,

For anyone interested ,one of the tracks from the GPS upcoming debut album is now available to hear on IOMA's myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/insideoutamerica

The track available is 'Written on the Wind' -

Enjoy !!

Tanya
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Shocked That solo totally floored me. Pure brilliance, some of the best stuff I've heard in a good while. Glad to see Guthrie's talents utilized effectively and given a long time to shine. The purchase of this album is a no brainer
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrifyingly good solo! duh ... Wink Laughing and the TONE! absolutely astonishing guitar sound in that solo. that signature "woody" sound of GG.

too bad the rest of the song sucked (as well as the samples on the GPS web site). i'm serious. john payne is probably great at what he does. but personally i find a washing machine a more interesting listening experience than this kind of music.

yes, it's a no brainer to buy the album. and i really WANT to like it. but i have a bad feeling. let's hope i'm wrong.

with ALL RESPECT to the fact that there are many kinds of music, and many different tastes ... it's just how i feel (please don't be upset Tanya; i'm not much of a ASIA fan either ...)

Tanya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumis,
Sorry you don't like the song - I'm not upset - much .... just sitting here crying into my cider .... just joking !!

I know most of the guys on here have no love for Asia - I was told a few months ago while bemoaning the demise of my favourite line up Smile

GPS is different , rock music yes but this time Guthrie's not replacing anyone - he is an integral part of the band ,there will be nine other great solos on this 10 track album that you haven't heard yet .... give it a chance ,please !

With the best will in the world it's got to be hard to select 30 seconds from tracks that are 5 or 6 minutes long that will give people a good idea of the music produced - try not to judge the album on those .
There are more soundbytes here : http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000GPI39E/028-2313563-5725348?v=glance&n=290380

I do understand and agree that there's room for all types of music in this world.Despite being a rocker I went to see the Fellowship at Churchill's in Southend on Easter Sunday - not really my thing but it was a pleasant afternoon and it was good to see Guthrie again after the Asia debacle !

I really hope that you can find it in your heart to buy the CD and support GPS.

Tanya
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
I really hope that you can find it in your heart to buy the CD and support GPS.

i will, i most definitely will ... and i'm not giving my personal verdict before i've thoroughly listened to the album. i have no reason to doubt the "craftsmanship" of the album (that would be stupid), and i'm sure there's great stuff on it -- how could there not be?!

looking forward to get my hands on it, even though i can't honestly say other than that "written in the wind" appeared very cheesy to me (apart from the solo Wink ).
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tanya, thanks for the link. That was truly awesome, but we don't expect any less from Guthrie now. Wink Kidding aside, I think all the Guthrie fans will buy this album even if the music isn't quite their cup of tea. I can't say I've been a big Asia fan but I can appreciate what it is. GPS does seem to veer out more into the "progressive" area and it's good to hear Guthrie putting more of his sonic stamp into the whole thing. There's a melodramatic undercurrent in these songs and melodies that some people just won't dig, but hey, that's just how it is. As you said, a lot of rock fans aren't really going to be hip to the Fellowship stuff, so it works both ways.

But that's the thing about Guthrie - he can cover so many musical styles and genres in such a manner that the fan base can get fractured along those stylistic lines. The only other guitar instrumental artist that I can think of from the top of my head who can cover so many territories and fracture the fan base is Pat Metheny. I don't know if fracture is the right word. I'm just saying that most of his mainstream PMG fan base won't be all that into his hardcore trad jazz or avant-garde kind of projects.

I think we'll see something similar with Guthrie in the future. Guthrie's Erotic Cakes fans won't be all that into the Fellowship and vice versa. I've already met plenty of people who are into one and aren't too crazy about the other. The same goes for GPS and other projects that Guthrie will delve into - like techno or bottleneck blues or Indian raga or fingerstyle jazz or whatever else you can think of. That's bound to happen with an artist as musically diverse as Guthrie is. Personally, I don't care what he plays as long as he just plays! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened to it a few times now, the solo is incredible, great tone, wow, great playing...

I was a bit like Sumis on the very first listen, a bit underwhelmed with the song itself, and I was literally willing Guthrie to LET LOOSE for the first few minutes before the solo. I was like C'MON MAN JUST BLOW!! Very Happy

After repeated listenings though it's growing on me, it's not bad, and obviously I'll be buying the album. I mean could I live with myself if there was a Guthrie album out there within easy reach that I didn't posses? Could I sleep at night without it in my grubby little wings??? I think not!!! Laughing
carnflab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genius
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
that signature "woody" sound of GG.

Woody Guthrie, y'say?

I must agree with the opinion that the songwriting isn't exactly stellar, but Guthrie's solo on this track is - as expected - brilliant.
Resi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for 80's hair metal (not the extremely flashy kind though, the kind with the good musicianship included), and this kind of reminds me of that stuff, me like.
shredizalive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that has to be one of the WORST songs I've ever heard.....

Sorry, but that was painful and so cheesy, I was looking for Handi-Wipes.

As for the solo, it's the only saving grace of the song, but nothing too amazing, compared to what's on 'Erotic Cakes'.

But I can't slag the talent of this group and I'm sure there will be plenty of good things on the record because InsideOut rarely releases sub-par material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: