Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - EROTIC CAKES AVALIBLE NOW, FRIDAY 11th AUGUST 2006
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EROTIC CAKES AVALIBLE NOW, FRIDAY 11th AUGUST 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hecanrock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cd as soon as I read on here that it was available.

I think it's easy to get an overinflated sense of how popular Guthrie actually is.

He is obviously discussed on this forum as well as maybe occasionally on other guitar forums.

His fanbase is only really very small still on a global scale. Anyone who has read Guitar Techniques will obviously be a fan. But that's about as far as it reaches.

As much as people might like to think it, he really doesn't have many non-guitar geek fans (even though I've played him to my non musician friends).

I'm sure they will announce the release of the album in the front section of Guitar Techniques next month (in which case there better be an easy way for people to buy it by then or people could easily forget about it).

Buying it through paypal isn't the most convenient method for the majority of people and doesn't look very professional from guthrie's POV.
Selling throught the iTunes music store or amazon would obviously be better.

I really think the release should have been held back until it was confirmed that it was beinig sold on amazon or iTunes. I also think it would have been good for Guthrie's site to have been up and running at the time of release, that way the album could have been sold through his site.

If people do a Google search for him, the top entry is his website, but it's not running. I know there is a link to the cornford records site but it's not particularly obvious. Web users are very easily deterred from looking for things.

Until the album is widely available I don't think it is likely it will sell more than a few hundred copies. Even then I'm not sure it will sell hugely, which is a shame because we all know how talented guthrie is.

Vai and Satch sell lots of albums for instrumental guitarists but not lots of albums by a standard pop act's measure. Vai and Satch have a huge fanbase that has been built up over the last 20 years.

I recently met Eric Sardinas at a workshop and he said that no one on favoured nations, except vai makes any significant amount of money. I'll bet that none of them sell that many and they have Vai's backing and promotion etc.

Anyway, despite all I've said I will still struggle to promote Guthrie and push his album. Howver I really think digital downloads are the key to selling lots and spreading the music, since there's not shipping delivery and it's instant.

Either way I can't wait to recieve my copy!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that Bumblefoots forum has some 600 registered users and this forum some 2100. BBF has released albums for more than ten years. Sure, he's kind of unknown, but after GNR its still 600 users ...

Where the hell did all the users on GG-forum come from?

jordan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecanrock wrote:
I also think it would have been good for Guthrie's site to have been up and running at the time of release, that way the album could have been sold through his site. If people do a Google search for him, the top entry is his website, but it's not running.

I have to agree 100%. I've been on this forum and been waiting for this album for a long time, but when I've pimped the CD on other forums you can just imagine users googling GG and coming up with his (effectively) blank home page. I mean, it can't be THAT hard to put something up there? Who even owns it? I'm sure Ed would offer his video clips up, or anything like that.

That said, I am really looking forward to hearing the album. I'm also surprised by the amount it's sold....surely there are loads of members on this forum who haven't logged in lately? Hopefully (well, predictably Wink ) it will get an awesome review in Guitar Techniques/Guitarist/Total Guitar over in the UK and that should prompt a few copies to get shifted.

Another question, maybe for Mr C.....is GG going to tour this album as a solo act at all? I have to say I'm surprised by the timing given that GPS appear to be heading out on the road soon. If GG doesn't go out and tour behind it, then it just won't look good.....it seems every major act these days releases a record and gets straight out on the road.
scimitar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long can we expect to wait to actually receive the album...? Has anyone got theirs yet?
andyvicius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: wooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww Reply with quote

finally... after all this time waiting... can`t wait for my copy to arrive!!!!!!
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scimitar wrote:
How long can we expect to wait to actually receive the album...? Has anyone got theirs yet?

Not yet, probably more likely at the end of the week, or tomorrow maybe...
Mos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preview clips sound awesome.

And in the Rhode Island Shred clip...is that Thal's fretless guest solo?!
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

Well, I come from many places, though in particular I guess I'd say I came from the Bumblefoot forum. You're there as well, right?

I was surprised as well as how many users Guthrie's forum had compared to Ron's. Based on what I've seen, there are a lot of fans of Guthrie's on the Bumblefoot forum, but they're fans by proxy. I'm a Bumblefoot fan, and because of his friendship and acknowledgement (and promotion) of Mr. Govan, I noticed him.

Then again, perhaps a lot of people signed up simply to get downloads.

I'd agree though that it is still early since the album has gone on sale. Not to mention that aside from word of mouth, it hasn't had much promotion. Give it time, and add some material to his page. I saw that you added a link to Cornford Records on the site and mentioned Erotic Cakes. That's a nice start.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally received some copies from Guthrie including signed copies for John Suhr, Steve Smith, and myself at Suhr. Cool I've only been able to listen to it once during work at low volumes through the computer speakers, so I'll refrain from posting a review until I've had several good uninterrpupted listeings at loud volumes. From what I've heard so far, it's simply breathtaking and was certainly worth the wait! Shocked

It's the most satisfying rock guitar instrumental album I've heard since Vai's 'Passion & Warfare' and EJ's 'Ah Via Musicom'. And it's far more diverse than either. Needless to say, I like this album far more than either as well. It's intense and the breadth of musical styles Guthrie traverses is quite staggering. This isn't something to kick back to. Yeah, there's definitely a heavy dose of over-the-top playing, but heck, what else can we expect from Guthrie?

It's everything we expected it to be and more! BTW, the production and the tones are all simply amazing! Congrats to Guthrie, Paul C, Jan Cyrka, Seth Govan on bass and Pete Riley on drums. It'll take a little while for it to get going out there but mark my words: this album is going to make waves and go down as a landmark work that raises the bar of instrumental guitar music to new heights. More to come soon! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
artmyxolydian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shouts loudly*
GaGaGaGaGaGaGaGGGGUTHRRREEyYYY!!!!! Twisted Evil Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon one more listening of unfamiliar tunes in the car on my way home from work, I found that there's a lot of hidden and subtle beauty sprinkled throughout the songs. The new arrangements of the more familiar tunes are striking as well, but the new tunes' wide dynamic range, textural and tempo shifts all make it a surprisingly rewarding listening experience.

Guthrie's heavy jazz influence is also apparent throughout the album. We're not talking some sprinklings of Maj7 and 13th chords here and there; Guthrie knows and plays jazz like no other rock/shred player I've ever seen or heard. Ditto for country. It isn't that he just knows how to play comfortably in these other difficult genres. You can sense that he really has the feel in these other styles as well. He genuinely loves these other styles of music and playing them.

Clocking in at a wee below 55 minutes, this album isn't for the faint of heart. It simultaneously challenges you with unexpected turns into advanced and even somewhat jarring avant garde musical territories; it entertains you with Guthrie's peculiar sense of musical humor; it soothes you with sweet wistful melodies and ear candy guitar tones; it leaves you breathless with some extreme (and I mean, EXTREME) over-the-top technical virtuosity; and it ultimately inspires you with overflowing creativity and deep musicality. And it's the type of music that will grow on you with repeated listenings.

Moving onto the liner notes in the album, Guthrie thanks John Suhr for "the eerily perfect guitars"!Very Happy We thought that was funny. The CD booklet is 14 pages long and there are notes from Guthrie about the history of each song and other thoughts about them. There's plenty of good humor in these thoughtful writings. There's also a page's worth of notes about the gear used on the tracks as well. It's a great album and a nicely thought-out package. It won't be everyone's cup of tea out there, but I do believe many guitar and music fans will genuinely enjoy it.

You know, I have to agree with Paul C: this just may be the finest rock guitar instrumental album of all time. It's certainly my favorite already - by far. In terms of impact it's had on me, I'll put it up there with Yngwie's 'Rising Force', Satch's 'Surfing', Vai's 'P&W', and EJ's 'AVM'. It's just that, as far as I'm concerned, this album is vastly superior musically, compositionally, technically, and audio production-wise. The Guthrie era has indeed begun. It has indeed exceeded my highest expectations. And this after only two listenings!!!!! Ah, life is good indeed! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

Guthrie seems to attract a particular breed from all kinds of fan bases who may not intermingle normally. For instance, a lot of Petrucci and/or Vai (and Satch as well) fans who aren't necessarily into Bbf and/or Lane are into Guthrie. By the same token, a lot of Bbf and Lane fans who can't really get into Petrucci and Vai are Guthrie fans. Guthrie also attracts some EJ and Morse fans as well as some MacAlpine and Gilbert fans. Guthrie also attracts a lot of non-shred fans and fusion fans who may be into Henderson, Howe, Garsed, and Holdsworth. Guthrie seems to attract the more eclectic types from all these fan bases that cover various genres and stylistic range. Guthrie also attracts some jazz fans who started out as rock fans - Pat Metheny and John Scofield, for example. That's what I've noticed. And people who enjoy and respect all these styles and players, like me, tend to be the true GG fanatics! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
artmyxolydian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe Mr.A.K. registers under many aliases in his spare time? Wink
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scimitar wrote:

I keep checking for 'posty' with a telescope as I'm so anxious to get my copy! Please let it be today.....please, please, please............
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Guthrie seems to attract a particular breed from all kinds of fan bases who may not intermingle normally. For instance, a lot of Petrucci and/or Vai (and Satch as well) fans who aren't necessarily into Bbf and/or Lane are into Guthrie. By the same token, a lot of Bbf and Lane fans who can't really get into Petrucci and Vai are Guthrie fans. Guthrie also attracts some EJ and Morse fans as well as some MacAlpine and Gilbert fans. Guthrie also attracts a lot of non-shred fans and fusion fans who may be into Henderson, Howe, Garsed, and Holdsworth. Guthrie seems to attract the more eclectic types from all these fan bases that cover various genres and stylistic range. Guthrie also attracts some jazz fans who started out as rock fans - Pat Metheny and John Scofield, for example. That's what I've noticed. And people who enjoy and respect all these styles and players, like me, tend to be the true GG fanatics! Very Happy

yes. sure. i know. but it's still a bit strange i think. but then again: were the hell did i come from? Confused Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: