Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...he hasn't been there for a while now....hope everything's OK.

Meanwhile, I've decided not to invite my cousin again. Last time, while she was dancing her boobies nearly decked Zak Laughing
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
Hmmm...he hasn't been there for a while now....hope everything's OK.

Meanwhile, I've decided not to invite my cousin again. Last time, while she was dancing her boobies nearly decked Zak Laughing

Pete's in Malta on holiday, back this week I think.

Now about this cousin of yours.... Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malta... I love that place.

Mr C. There is a little pole dancing club around the corner from the Bassment.. one evening the girls seemed to take a night off and pop over to the bassment, they used the bar in the main section as a pole and swapped techniques Shocked

I'm married so I was the only person not distracted (apart from the band)

So Pete might be back next week. Malta int that big Laughing

I have the power!
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...somehow, I think my cousins boobs have changed the topic of conversation (wouldn't be the first time...!)

Good to hear Pete's safe & well. I haven't seen him at the Bassment for a while. Besides, the stand-in drummer who's been filling Pete's shoes is no slouch. Very Happy

Anyway, back to talking about just how awesome Guthries album is, methinks. Very Happy
markmcg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erotic Cakes == Boobs == Awesome

Wink

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
beerfordolphins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....new to the board (but known to some on here)...my take on Erotic Boobs....CAKES!!!...I mean cakes

Just before I launch into it, there have been precious few instances of guitar music recently that have made me genuinely excited. Tommy Emmanuel at Leeds varieties was one....and waiting for this album to drop through the door was another...

Typically, the first impression wasn't a good one!!!!...not Guthries fault, but I insisted on putting it on in the car, with the wife talking incessantly over the top of it and the kids demanding it was turned down because they wanted to watch "Barbie and Pegasus" in the back seats...and when you are in a car with three females you have to comply, so all I could hear was a snippet of trebly guitar every three or fours seconds.

Later that evening, on the way to my gig (a snooker club in Seaham!!!), I managed, at last to introduce some volume to the proceedings.

OMFG!!!!!!!

This truly is an awesome album. For me, this is the first time I have heard the complete renditions of the songs and would certainly rank GG up their with the best of "them"...I wouldn't necessarily say that melodically it beats Satch at his pomp or compositionally, Vai at his best but neither of the two guitarists mentioned created a debut album of such authority and technical brilliance.

"Waves" is an immediate standout track and a great choice as an opener. The tones are stunning and its probably my favourite song on the album but all of the tunes are fantastic, although, I have to agree with Adrian, "Eric" is a hard for me to "get"...maybe it is too personal but, on the limited listens I have had, it moves too far outside of the albums general mood for my tastes. Maybe it's a grower!

I have to also say that Uncle Skunk, although borrowing heavily from the Vai and Satch songbook and is probably, very deliberately, a tip of the hat (like many on here have said)...it really does pull it, kicking and screaming, to another level when the solo rolls out...WOW!

I loved it...and its a nice feeling to be bowled over and grinning inanely once in a while...

....as an aside I thought my Valvetronix produced good sounds but when went back to it after listening to this I realised how "processed" it sounded. Huge kudos to Mr. C and the team for producing amps that sound so naturally wonderful!

I think I might have to take trip down to Chelmsford one Thursday night to see this extraordinarily talented group of musicians in person!!!!!

Great stuff GG....can't wait for the next one!
Alun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankusIs Eric the same beasty as Song For Eric on the For Eric CD? I'll find out tonight perhaps when I'm done boarding the loft out Sad

[/quote]

Yes, although I think it's a different version.

Cheers,
Alun
Mr C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
[quote="frankusIs Eric the same beasty as Song For Eric on the For Eric CD? I'll find out tonight perhaps when I'm done boarding the loft out Sad

Yes, although I think it's a different version.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

It is Cool
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to wear a CD out? If so Erotic Cakes must be well on the way.!

This is really fantastic stuff. It's just so 'tasteful' and dare I say, very definitely 'British' sounding in, and beyond the way Jan Cyrka's material had a different feel to American instrumental guitar music. I still need a week or so to fully absorb it's delicate intricacies, but this is going to be on my iPOD for ever and get regular listens.

Mr C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Is it possible to wear a CD out? If so Erotic Cakes must be well on th

This is really fantastic stuff. It's just so 'tasteful' and dare I say, very definitely 'British' sounding in, and beyond the way Jan Cyrka's material had a different feel to American instrumental guitar music. I still need a week or so to fully absorb it's delicate intricacies, but this is going to be on my iPOD for ever and get regular listens.

The whole British feel and a band in a room (with a ton of other stuff) was what we were aiming for, i.e. something different, there is a lot of stuff to listen to once you get it on a good hi-fi and are given some peace and quiet to just sink in to it,

PC
Pete Lacis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my copy. I have been waiting for this since the Tone Merchants videos from January NAMM '05. GG's the real deal. I can't wait to give this several spins before I report back. Just already loving what I'm hearing.

GG - Thanks for the music!

Suhr Obsessed, Custom Audio Loaded, Fueled by Diezel
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see all the great responses here. Now if you guys could do us a favor and talk about the album and your thoughts wherever else people may be interested, that'd be really appreciated. The guys on some of these other forums know only too well how biased I am and partial to all things Guthrie, so they tend to look at what I have to say with a grain of salt: "Oh, here's Ed again spamming for his god and buddy Guthrie. Rolling Eyes " But if you guys were to join the chorus and offer your "objective" thoughts about the album elsewhere, it'll have more influence on the fence-sitters than what I can offer, if you know what I mean. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, will Willjay do an NPS measurement on the ending lick on the nylon-string acoustic on 'Slidey Boy'? Laughing That sounds like a sped-up machine!!! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the "outside" solos on 'Erotic Cakes' and 'Ner Ner' are really growing on me big time! I especially love the first solo of 'Ner Ner'. These solos aren't the gracefully "perfect" solos of 'Waves', but they have this weird tension in them that just sounds so bad-ass! Evil or Very Mad They resolve, but they somehow still leave you hanging. The note choices and the various sudden detours are unexpected and it makes you scratch your head and wonder, "So why did Guthrie decide to go there?"

BTW, Richie Kotzen's solo on 'Ner Ner' is pretty killer - fits in with the mood of the music very well. I remember hearing it the first time (without having the liner notes) and thought, "Hmmm... that doesn't sound like Guthrie." Confused Sure enough, turned out to be RK! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Cool to see all the great responses here. Now if you guys could do us a favor and talk about the album and your thoughts wherever else people may be interested, that'd be really appreciated. The guys on some of these other forums know only too well how biased I am and partial to all things Guthrie, so they tend to look at what I have to say with a grain of salt: "Oh, here's Ed again spamming for his god and buddy Guthrie. Rolling Eyes " But if you guys were to join the chorus and offer your "objective" thoughts about the album elsewhere, it'll have more influence on the fence-sitters than what I can offer, if you know what I mean. Wink

I am trying with Spain and latino-american countries. Apparently they are liking it very much but most of them didn't know the news until I posted in their forum. I am posting and linking the Cornford Records site in any spanish forums I can find... I am still in the task... Ah! And I put my little contribution in The Word of Mouth in G9. I hope the word spread out quickly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: