Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The US exchange rate makes Erotic Cakes slightly expensive.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The US exchange rate makes Erotic Cakes slightly expensive.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
I guess you could say part of the problem with higher prices that some of us don't like is that (in general), most musicians only get about a dollar per c.d. sold. So even with the average american price of about 16-17 dollars, much more of that money is going straght to the label. Which personally leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I know how much cds cost, I know how much recording cost and Most record companies just rake it in.

But of course most independent labels give more, but is it enough I don't know.

So maybe where people are coming from is the fact that they don't mind handing 25 dollars directly over to Guthrie, but believe that he is only getting a buck or two anyways, so they're a little hesitant. And not to mention there is not a distrubtion deal, or lots of marketing for this album, at least that I've seen, so the money isn't going there.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't particulary care how much the Guthrie cd is since I've wanted it for awhile, but I've been pretty fed up with how much cds cost these days, especially when most of it isn't going to the artist.

I saw an interview with Steve Vai, where he talks about what a great distribution deal he got with Flexible (when he first produced it), where he gets 7 dollars a cd, and when Sony got his contract they bought the distribution for the album, they still have to pay him 7 bucks, and thus we got flexible leftovers so he can make the standard rate. It's too bad, I think every artist should get at least 7 bucks of the cd. ( though I know it will never happen)

Anyways, just my 2 cents....

OK Cornford Records was intitially set up to help Guthrie come up with world class recordings stella production packaging etc. and to take the whole business side of things away from him so he can concentrate on making music, the deal between guthrie and us is between Guthrie and us, but suffice to say it make SV's deal on Flexible look a little sad Wink

The whole point of Cornford Records is to put the artist 1st and get the music out there, not to rip anyone off, as that is really so not we are about,
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I no doubt expected, you have done the musicians good, Mr. C.

And this certainly wasn't meant to attack you (if it was taken that way) just an observation of the last couple years, where CDs were supposed to go down in price, but have only gone up in price, even with current production rates being incredibly low (especially for major level albums). Of course, the companies complain of piracy for higher prices, but major labels aren't the ones hurting there, unlike the smaller labels where 1000 cds means a lot.

Anyways, I also respect your views on selling across the world equally. If only the rest of the world looked at everything equal this would be a much happier world.

Cheers,

Tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
As I no doubt expected, you have done the musicians good, Mr. C.

And this certainly wasn't meant to attack you (if it was taken that way) just an observation of the last couple years, where CDs were supposed to go down in price, but have only gone up in price, even with current production rates being incredibly low (especially for major level albums). Of course, the companies complain of piracy for higher prices, but major labels aren't the ones hurting there, unlike the smaller labels where 1000 cds means a lot.

Anyways, I also respect your views on selling across the world equally. If only the rest of the world looked at everything equal this would be a much happier world.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Please dont worry that I took your post as being an attack etc, not the case at all, I am just trying to put the record straight as many think about the whole record industry exactly the same as you, me included, in our case its different,

I totally agree with your comments Wink so lets all try to make this a happier world, it is the way of Cornford, thats why Guthrie is a great friend of mine and is more than happy to work with us and most importantly trust us, so all you Guthrie supporters please rest assured that he is in safe hands.

Peace,

Paul
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I check up another forum where I posted a thread to pimp the album and a guy comes in to say:

"It's $25.

I'll wait.

If it doesn't come down, I won't buy."

Rolling Eyes

America, what is the frickin' matter with you?!? Mad Pretty exasperating, to say the least. Don't mean to report some bad news during this joyous occasion of Guthrie's album release, but that's the reality out there - the biggest market in the world.

Well, his loss is a lot greater than Guthrie's or Cornford Records'. At least I get some comfort in that! Razz
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's selling like hot cakes in Japan.

I can appreciate the sentiment in the US, I don't agree with it, but I can appreciate how it happens.

It's an odd situation, this is a breakthrough artist, with a cult following.. and they're being asked to pay more than they would for their old favourites. It's a big hump getting over their cynicism of new artists, price expectation and apathy.

This: http://www.myspace.com/cornfordrecords helps a lot.

As would Guthrie's website.

Perhaps Guthrie's conquest of the world can take place in two phases Europe and Asia and then the US will catch on. Having listened to the album you'd expect it would have spread like wildfire within a week.

Perhaps we should not expect the US to kick off, this round or if you do want them taking it up somewhere like iTunes should be selling tracks.. or just letting the tunes on myspace provide the hook.

I played the album to several guys at the BBC, the reaction was brilliant, "Oh my f*cking god, that album is simply brilliant" and "that is depressingly good"... one was a fan of classic rock, the other a classical guitarist. I've had to point them to myspace but they're spreading the word at a grass roots level, like I guess we all are.

I've a list of people I've worked with and I'm sending them to myspace, in the hope it generates album sales, and spreads the word to others. Word of mouth should be sufficient for a relase of this calibre.

I have the power!
Dee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Frankus when he says the MySpace page helps, but it's not enough! Like I said in another thread, the sound clips are WAY too short. MySpace allows four 6MB mp3's, and those few 30 second clips are not enough to give people a good idea of what Guthrie can do. There should be a couple of full tracks, or maybe just longer clips, say, 2 mins, then fade out. If you're worried about giving too much away, then lower the encoding quality to something crappy like 96kbps, that way people will still appreciate CD quality when / if they buy the album.

Honestly, the last thing I would like to see is people sharing / downloading Guthrie's album, but people might start doing this just to get a clue of what the man is all about. Unfortunately, some feel the album is too expensive, and I think we need to be careful here that Guthrie doesn't lose sales to piracy. This is exactly why piracy happens -- overpricing. So please do the guy a favour and post some good examples of his mighty skills.

Lastly, Rhode Island Shred shouldn't be one of those clips. It's too jokey and IMO it's a waste of space. As brilliantly played as it is, there are far better tracks.

Who is designing / maintaining Guthrie's site? They need to get it together. This would be a great help.
nielsri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sometimes you have to pay for quality goods from independent suppliers. You could, for example, buy some very cheap sausages from a supermarket which had probrably been made from bum-holes and eye lids, or you could go to an independent butcher and buy sausages made from the more savoury and edible parts of contented pigs. I know which I would prefer.... I think the same idea applies to music. In the UK most supermarkets sell a selection of cut-price, bland, heterogenous chart music, which may be to your taste, and that would be fine. The supermarkets can buy these CDs in bulk because they will probably sell vast numbers and they can afford to lose the money if they dont. Independent record companies (and shops) cant afford these losses and have to charge a bit more money. If they didnt charge more, the more exciting (in my opinion) new music would not be made, so I think it is important to support projects like Cornford Records.

Just my thoughts on the matter....

Cant wait to hear the album. Very Happy
James W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually pretty pleased when I saw the price, as I had got used to forking out exorbitant amounts for CDs by Holdsworth, Lane etc. For example, £16.99.
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
I was actually pretty pleased when I saw the price, as I had got used to forking out exorbitant amounts for CDs by Holdsworth, Lane etc. For example, £16.99.

Me too. Like you say, it's hard to pick up guitar stuff in the main shops (HMV, Virgin, etc) without paying £17-£18 and the online stores aren't always that much cheaper.

Cheers,
Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the debate rages on at the Petrucci forum:

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38621
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Dee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielsri wrote:
You could, for example, buy some very cheap sausages from a supermarket which had probrably been made from bum-holes and eye lids

Laughing LMAO!
Tuddsound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forked over my money. While it definitely was a little higher priced than US domestically released CD's, I've waited much too long for Guthrie to release a CD to whine about the price. The extra money is worth it for the improvement my own playing will see due to Guthrie's inspiration. Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bear in mind the Tone Merchants DVDs people have got for ridiculously low prices... offset that against the album price and you've got a bargain.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: