Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - John Mclaughlin instructional DVD.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Mclaughlin instructional DVD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelic Layer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: John Mclaughlin instructional DVD. Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the instructional DVD?
Is it worth to buy?
decatest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been wondering the very same thing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested myself, but it's kinda pricey and I understand that it's all written out in standard notation without tabs??? If I was a serious student I'd be all up for it, but the price and it forcing me to spend tons of time figuring things out through standard notation has kept me from taking the plunge. I can read standard notation but I'm certainly not a good sight-reader with a guitar in my hands. Sad
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
23rd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD is actually fantastic. I dont mean to be a salesman but if you are interested to get a top notch masters class course, look no further.
I know the it seems pricey but for 3 dvds (technically great) are no problem when I use to buy VHS for $50. Imagine how much you have to pay for 1 hour guitar lesson with McLaughlin. So not a bad deal if you ask me. Just my 2 cents !!

TABS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE NOW FROM THE WEBSITE as a download for this DVD.

Review at all about jazz

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=14486
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! I'll be getting this set real soon! You've convinced me. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth every penny IMHO.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abstractlogix, who distributes the John Mclaughlin instructional DVD, is one of our affiliates.

If you do buy it please purchase from this link. http://interneka.com/affiliate/AIDLink.php?BID=2719&AID=17805

Thanks!

The AbstractLogix site rocks. Check them out here:
http://interneka.com/affiliate/AIDLink.php?BID=2724&AID=17805
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just browsing through McLaughlin's website:

http://www.johnmclaughlin.com/

Interesting and fancy site although it's confusingly laid out and not very easy to navigate. He's one heavy dude. I'm really not into all that Eastern spirituality kind of stuff but I commend his desire to explore the musical worlds of that part of the world to broaden his musical knowledge.

I have all the respect in the world for McLaughlin and he is a true giant in contemporary music, but I have to admit that he lost me along the way somewhere... A real schizophrenic recording career and output made it hard for me to keep up. The last album of his I enjoyed was "The Promise".
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Angelic Layer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really prefer his modern stuff.
I found it hard to dig some of the earlier mahavishnu orchestra.
decatest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i'll get it for christmas, but judging from that review, im definately getting it at some point.
sieuminh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so could someone tell us what they think about the DVD set? with the Internet nowadays you can find both good and bad review of almost anything, so I'd rather hear from you guys (who I trust)
cyb3rvampire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone picked this up? im curious to see how good it really is.
n_mountain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I have the DVD and I must say I like very much.

I haven't worked with it very much, but that's is more because of lacking time than interest.
I must also add, that my roots are more rock guitar than jazz. This notwithstanding I know enough about genral music theory, so that there's nothing on this DVD which I can't understand at least theoretically.
What I like :
He starts at the beginning and adds the theoretical knowledge from chapter to chapter. (I actually can't remember the exact themes, but I know he talks about the Ionian and its Modes, the harmonic minor, the melodic minor, half step whole step etc...later on he adds odd time signatures etc.)

I like the way he explains very much and think it is quite easy to understand, though I must add that I knew all the scales before (in theory). I just wasn't sure were and how to use them and that he explains really well.

There's Jam session at the end of each Chapter where he plays along some changes and than analizes his playing. Now watching him play alone is great!! I don't have that many recordings of him but I think on DVD he plays very melodic, with beautifull rhythmic phrasing.

He's all realaxed in his living room and you can see both of his hands close up. Very nice!

The analsis is kind of... well... the first (easier) ones are ok. He occasionally explains what he used in that particular moment and so on. Later when stuff gets harder he's just standing there grooving to the music and watching the notes. I particularly like the one in the odd signature chapter. The changes are getting more complicated and he's just soaring through a 11/8, and then in the analisis he's just standing there almost dancing and smiling at the notes, like he's thinking "I know that this is $&§$%& difficult but it's sooo much fun". Twisted Evil

Well, and after the analysis it's your turn. There's the Karaoke version of the track he played over before. So you can jam, compare yourself and see how heavily you suck!Crying or Very sad

While explaining he plays a lot of phrases. Plus there's a lick library to each (I think?) chapter with...?? ... more licks!

Oh, and he seems to be a nice guy Smile

Hope this helped

I somebody is interested i can look up the chapter names.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyb3rvampire wrote:
has anyone picked this up? im curious to see how good it really is.

I bought it full price, then the day I got it in the mail they dropped the price by $25.00 (and reduced shipping by $5.00), so I was pissed about that. Their holiday pricing is the lower price, so if you want to get the set, get it before the end of the year (or before the special expires).

I'm taking it really slow and even though I already know the major scale modes _fairly_ well, I could use work on harmonizing it beyond 4ths and 5ths, so until I can really say I've nailed 6ths 7ths and 9ths, I'm not really moving past the first part. I think I'd like to cop some of the stuff from his examples before moving on too, just to make sure his approach is getting absorbed. That having been said, based on my limited experience with the DVD set, it's pretty damned thorough, it's not for beginners (intermediate to advanced all the way), and it would really help to know how to read (though tabs are now available for the course), and it's not a handholder course. By that last point I mean, he shows you stuff in C, but leaves it to you to figure out how to play it all in all 11 other keys. He also leaves it to you to master stuff like playing it all in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths, etc. So if you aren't ambitious and you don't like doing exercises without being shown what to do, this course probably won't help you that much. You definitely have to be eager to learn this stuff and dedicated enough to be thorough about it.

For that last reason alone I think it's a good course, but a lot of lazy people will buy it and not get much out of it. (Good b/c you'll be able to find it on ebay cheaper Wink ).

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: