Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
BTW, what's up with the Paris avatar? Wink

Haven't you heard her album? Paris > Guthrie.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yeah...about the Paris avatar....that's just me being random. It seems there are other members here with random avatars (at least they're kinda random to me..that makes me scratch my head Razz).

Actually I have a love/hate relationship with Paris. Her stupidity is fascinating to me Laughing
nielsri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD came this morning. Its awesome!

I have fought the power by flipping the booklet over, so Guthrie is on the cover instead of the cakes. Wink

Time to listen again....
James W

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived this morning. Expect a detailed disquisition about it in the near future.

Oh and a big Laughing to the small print.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the cd yesterday and may change my opinion about certain things
over time, but this is how I feel about it now:

1. Waves

Probably my favourite song. Very accessible & tasty. Nice climax at the
end before ending the song in a relaxed manner.

2. Erotic Cakes

When listening/watching the jan 19 NAMM 2005 dvd, I first did not like
this song; I needed time to appreciate that kind of playing. But now I
think it rocks. But I wouldn't fill a whole album with this stuff, 'cause then it'll get on my nerves.

3.Wonderful Slippery Thing

Yeah! Nice jazzy version of WST. But... I don't like the distorted leadsound; I prefer the no-nonse sound of the live DVD I mentioned earlier. On the cd they used too much chorus-like effects, or whatever it is that gives you that kind of guitarsound. The jazzy-clean sound is great though... I could listen to a whole album with just that clean sound alone.

4. Ner Ner

Nice version of Ner Ner indeed. I like the mandolin (isn't it?) in the beginning too; it adds something subtle that really fits the song.

5. Fives

This song hasn't been a favourite of mine on the DVD and it isn't my
fav on the cd either... Probably won't be in my final playlist. Matter of taste. Has to do with those tapping sounds. I've never been a fan of tapping stuff. It sounds too much like a computergame effect.

6. Uncle Skunk

This song is too Vai-ish to me; too much quirky sounds going on for my
taste. But all is very well done. Won't keep it in my playlist I think.

7. Sevens

This is a cool song... I liked it on the DVD, and still like it on the cd as well. It's cool in the beginning to hear how long those notes are bended...untill the guitar "gets out of breath"- so to speak. And when that leadparts is repeated later in the song, you can hear that Guthrie is adding improv licks to that leadpart, wich is what I always liked in classical piano-music; build it up in a clear no-nonsense manner, and later add some stuff so it won't become boring. I'm not a fan of tapping sounds, but when it's well placed in certain parts of the song it's ok.

8. Eric

This isn't a fav of mine either... In the beginning it's too cliche ballad-like for my taste and later the quirky sounds start again.

9. Slidey boy

Cool groove & riffs. A nice background track when working or surfing behind my pc.

10. Rhode Island Shred

Over the top version of RIS. At one hand it's cool to hear what can be
done with all these different sounds, on the other hand I probably

would have preferred a single-guitar version over the several guitar-licks in this one. But still a nice version that will make my playlist Smile

11. Hangover

Oh boy, did I have a lot of those in the past. I don't drink much anymore, but when I did have a hangover, I preferred listening to less invading sounds then distorted guitars. Or no music at all. Nice slow groove.

Conclusion:

I think the album is probably about what I expected to hear from guthrie, wich is cool tunes with often over-the-top playing without losing the music. Some songs, as I mentioned, aren't my kind of songs, but there's enough left to keep listening too. I like 8 out of the 11 songs on the album, wich is pretty rare for me, wich is why I usually don't buy many cd's.

I think everybody did a very good job on this album, not just Guthrie.
I see it's produced by Jan Cyrka, who seems to be really good at producing/mixing stuff. I've heard his name popup before and understand
why.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I forgot to say that when listening to certain songs, I found myself playing AIRGUITAR Smile
Delicato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got mine yet, but reading that the version of erotic cakes is different than the one on the Tone Merchant clinic dvd makes me a bit nervous.
I've been buying Guitar Techniques from day one so I have heard Guthrie's "playing" for some time and I've always thought he was a great player. I loved WST that you got on the GTCD#3 and many of the other things he played in that mag over the years, but it wasn't until I heard EC from the TM clinic that he took the leap to the top. I LOOOOVE the playing he whips out on that one. I LOVE it.

So tell me, since I've not heard the original one that the album version is supposed to be like, is it much different? Well, if I know anything about sir Govan(he has been knighted, has he not?) it is that he'll come up with something wonderful and all that, but I still can't help wanting that clinic version on cd(cause I LOVE it).
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've seen or heard or 8 different versions of 'Erotic Cakes' and they've all sounded quite different. The one on the 'Introducing...' album is waaay different from the album version. The 'Introducing...' version is kind of mellow - not sinister sounding at all. The clinic DVD version is really awesome and that solo still takes my breath away every time. But as I mentioned before, I think this new album version is the "correct" version for what the mood of the song is supposed to convey. It's more raw, angular, unpredictable, in-y'er-face, gut-wrenching with all the extreme bends, but it also has the best audio production.

The Jan 19 '05 NAMM DVD version is very Middle Eastern sounding with the E-Bow section. I saw him play 'EC' on a Vigier fretless on Jan 17 that year and that was pretty awesome as well. He was handed that guitar just before the gig and he decided he'll use on 'EC' and I was just going: Shocked . For the most part, it sounded just like he'd normally play it. Except for the solos, everything else sounded the same and you wouldn't have known that he was playing a fretless guitar! He is that accurate with the intonation getting around on the fretless neck. That one was very memorable.

The CD version will grow on you. If you're used to the DVD versions, it'll take a little while to sink in. You may be disappointed initially that it's not this amazing legato solo that Guthrie effortlessly peeled on the clinic DVD, but this version is still killer with better tone, more gut-wrenching feel, better production, and more outside excursions.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Well, I've seen or heard or 8 different versions of 'Erotic Cakes' and they've all sounded quite different. The one on the 'Introducing...' album is waaay different from the album version. The 'Introducing...' version is kind of mellow - not sinister sounding at all. The clinic DVD version is really awesome and that solo still takes my breath away every time. But as I mentioned before, I think this new album version is the "correct" version for what the mood of the song is supposed to convey. It's more raw, angular, unpredictable, in-y'er-face, gut-wrenching with all the extreme bends, but it also has the best audio production.

The Jan 19 '05 NAMM DVD version is very Middle Eastern sounding with the E-Bow section. I saw him play 'EC' on a Vigier fretless on Jan 17 that year and that was pretty awesome as well. He was handed that guitar just before the gig and he decided he'll use on 'EC' and I was just going: Shocked . For the most part, it sounded just like he'd normally play it. Except for the solos, everything else sounded the same and you wouldn't have known that he was playing a fretless guitar! He is that accurate with the intonation getting around on the fretless neck. That one was very memorable.

The CD version will grow on you. If you're used to the DVD versions, it'll take a little while to sink in. You may be disappointed initially that it's not this amazing legato solo that Guthrie effortlessly peeled on the clinic DVD, but this version is still killer with better tone, more gut-wrenching feel, better production, and more outside excursions.

I wasn't sure about the CD version of Fives, the DVD version really impressed me, it had a lot of impact, I love the tune altogether, but the new version is making making more inroads with me every day. One example of how it's different is the tapping section doesn't seem as clearly defined as the DVD version to me...
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, happen to like the album more than the live DVDs or any previous recording. In my opinion, not only the sound is much better (I don´t only think of GG here, the whole rythmic section sounds so much better, and that is very important for me) but also the production, very nice overdubs, effects, etc.

I guess a live version and a studio version both have their own pros and cons. The raw energy from a live performance is very difficult to capture in the studio, but there are many things that more than make up for it. In my opinion, the background guitars, the radical different tones, going from acoustic to electric, etc. All that makes listening to the album such a great experience. Don´t get me wrong, I love the DVDs as well, but I think I like the album better.

As for GG´s playing, I think it´s awesome as always. I didn´t expect the same licks repeated here, so I didn´t miss them. What was most welcome for me was that the melodies had been re worked on many bits or that certain riffs and phrases were completely spot on. In other words, I think the phrasing quality in the album is higher than in the live version. Sure there are crazy solos in the DVD, but the phrasing sometimes becomes more "standard GG", maybe not as inspired, while in the CD they made sure they captured the best stuff.

My opinion, anyways.

John Petrucci
Delicato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as erotic cakes goes, I wasn't hoping for a note for note remake of the dvd solo but a solo with the same vibe and in the same style. But as you say, I will probably love the new version. And I can always look at the dvd if I feel the need.
Dee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the album version, it's absolutely RIPPING!
Tuddsound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the CD. Now I can't wait for the GPS one to be released here in the states in a few weeks!
Callan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this is Guthrie's Power s of ten. A long awaitied album that lives up to everything it promised. There isn't really a song i dislike and i think Guthrie should continue with the style of the album in that he has no constrainsts over the music he should play and doesn't get boggled down too much to playing one style. I would like to see Guthrie do some traditional jazz (Montgomery stlye) as well as some solo jazz and also some blues and rock and roll while continuing with the fusion and shred stuff.
Dee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want is Donati, Govan, Sherinian, and any great bass player... Ric Fierabracci, Victor Wooten, Rufus Philpot, etc...

Oh, is that too much to ask!!? Shocked
Rallemu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, my first post on this forum even though I've been lurking here for a while now. I received my copy today and I must say that I'm impressed. I'm not that much a guitarmusic-guy anymore (look at my recordcollection and you'll easy see that) but this is one of the best albums I've heard in a couple of years - both from a guitarists and a musiclovers perspective.

While Guthrie's playing definitly is mindboogling it's so easy to understand and listen to. I'm actually sitting here doing my homework (or well, I should be doing my homework Wink) while listening to this. That's what I love about Guthrie's playing: It's so accessible while still maintaining it's oddness. I'm listening to Ner Ner and it almost brings tears to my eyes. It's not because it's a sad song but the frasing and tone, man. So wonderfully played. It's a bliss!

It's hard to name a single favourite song but Waves, Eric and Ner Ner are the highlights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: