Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Great Guthrie Interview
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Guthrie Interview
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Great Guthrie Interview Reply with quote

This must have been posted here already, but I haven't seen it anywhere, so I'll link it just in case:

http://www.alloutguitar.com/interview/artists_bands/uk_artists_bands/guthrie_govan_the_virtuosos_virtuoso?page=0%2C0

It's one of the best (and longest!) interviews I've read with any guitarist. So many of the things Guthrie says in it are right on the money. When I'd finished reading it I'd really gained a new appreciation of how much sense the man talks. Well worth signing up for to read.

Cheers,
Jordan.
swampthang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone else having problems registering for this?
Resi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I pregistered ... 18 weeks and 2 days ago Wink
Alun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just registered and read it - great interview Cool

It's not the most user friendly site though as you need to move to a new page every couple of questions.

Cheers,
Alun
Resi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
I just registered and read it - great interview Cool

It's not the most user friendly site though as you need to move to a new page every couple of questions.

Cheers,
Alun

Yeah, but you've got to take into account the length of the interview as well. Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interview! It provides a good insight into Guthrie's youth and his years honing his skills and his talent to become who he is now. There's plenty of that good humor of his and witty comments that only make so much sense! Laughing Speaking of humor, I like how he said that I "seemed to be partial" to what he's doing. Now, how's that for an understatement of the year?!? Laughing Great job on the interview, Owen. That's a cool new site and I wish you the best. I hope to be able to contribute what I can in the near future as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that was a great article -- certainly one of the most comprehensive guitar player articles I've ever read. It really highlights the advantages of web mags, in that something that long (and informative) didn't get whacked down to 3-4 pages by a brutal editor.

I really appreciated the insights into GG's general philosophy on musicianship, and the different avenues for expanding one's guitar playing boundaries. His observations on the pitfalls of shred were also interesting. Man, just think what it took for a young, aspiring player to have had the foresight and wisdom to decline the seductive power of a Shrapnel invite!

Very cool -- thanks!

Bert
Rallemu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview. It's a bit irritating to read with all the pages and way to random bold writing though.
Matt Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! That was quite a read! Longest interview transcript I've read in a long time, and it never got boring - much like the album then!
Delicato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview!!! Kind of reminds me of old guitar magazines(mid 80's) when the interviews were many a page long. I always marvel at that when I come across any at some yard sale or what not.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent interview! Very insightful.
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments...as to the overly abrupt ending - I agree! This is because at only 4 days old we are experiencing a few (!) teething problems and crazily enough all the Techniques and Gear sections of that interview are from an earlier draft! Will chase this up today with the technical crew.

Can I stress that there are many, many areas of the site that are to be completed, but it was felt that the timing was such that we had to go live now.

Each day, over the next few weeks more stuff will be added, so please stop by each day to check it out - for examople Andy James' excellent style file on Andy Timmons should be up this evening.

Please let us know any suggestions that you may have to improve the site, what players you want featured, and general feedback...
Dee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED by me. I can finally reach the site! YAY!

Smile

Last edited by Dee on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite nice! I really enjoyed reading all of it.

The more I hear and see, the more I'm interested in getting those DVD performances. They shall have to wait, however. Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underlying theme that gets repeated quite often throughout the interview is that it was all for the FUN and the LOVE of it. And that shows in Guthrie's playing and I like to think that characteristic is what instantly grabbed me. Guthrie doesn't sound studied or like a typical shred monster who sounds like he locked himself in the bedroom 8 hours a day practicing the modes to the click of a metronome. Guthrie simply loved all kinds of good music and playing the guitar wasn't even considered as a career option for so many years. And all those years he didn't even know how good he was - he figured everyone else could do the same! Laughing Sometimes you can't help but chuckle or laugh out loud reading through it. Now we really know why Guthrie sounds like he does.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: