Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Anybody Here Listen to Chick Corea Elektric's New CD?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody Here Listen to Chick Corea Elektric's New CD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Anybody Here Listen to Chick Corea Elektric's New CD? Reply with quote

A friend of mine was telling me that the new CD featuring Chick, Gambale, Patitucci on bass, Marienthal on sax, and Weckl on drums is really great. I've never been really able to get too much into the Elektric band stuff before but I think I might give this a try. Anyone give this one a listen? Not a big Gambale fan but I hear he plays great and sounds decent on this one. Obviously, the caliber of musicianship here is pretty phenomenal. Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the original Electrik Band albums, but haven't really got into the new one yet. The playing is incredible but it all seems a bit lifeless to me. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
I love the original Electrik Band albums, but haven't really got into the new one yet. The playing is incredible but it all seems a bit lifeless to me. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Alun

Hey Alun, first of all, welcome to this board. Good to have you in here!

Hmmm... someone told me exactly the opposite thing about this CD, so I ordered a used one and will give it a good listen.

I went to see Steve Smith's Vital Information several years ago at the Catalina Bar & Grill in Hollywood featuring Gambale and Bill Evans on sax and didn't care for it at all. It was all too slick and couldn't dig Gambale's tone whatsoever. I thought his tone was really awful. He was playing his new Yamaha Sig model guitar through a Marshall JMP-1 preamp, a TC G-Force, and then a Stewart solid-state power amp through a pair of Carvin 2x12 wedge cabs. It's probably the worst guitar tone I ever heard by a "name" player. Not trying to knock Frank as he is as mindblowing as a guitarist can get, but just didn't enjoy that show and the sound.

I hope it all sounds better on this new Corea disc...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've been listening to this album for the past hour and cannot get into it at all. Great playing obviously from such an amazing group of musicians, but I dunno... Just not my thang... Sad Don't really get Chick's choice of notes and the spacey interludes and sound effects are pretty cheesy and annoying. Back on Amazon it goes!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Man, I've been listening to this album for the past hour and cannot get into it at all. Great playing obviously from such an amazing group of musicians, but I dunno... Just not my thang... Sad Don't really get Chick's choice of notes and the spacey interludes and sound effects are pretty cheesy and annoying. Back on Amazon it goes!

The man needs to clense his mind, body, and soul of the whole L. Ron Hubbard fixtation. It's blurring his musical vision immensely!!!
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
It was all too slick and couldn't dig Gambale's tone whatsoever. I thought his tone was really awful. He was playing his new Yamaha Sig model guitar through a Marshall JMP-1 preamp, a TC G-Force, and then a Stewart solid-state power amp through a pair of Carvin 2x12 wedge cabs. It's probably the worst guitar tone I ever heard by a "name" player. Not trying to knock Frank as he is as mindblowing as a guitarist can get, but just didn't enjoy that show and the sound.

I hope it all sounds better on this new Corea disc...

Personally I never really thought much about his tone....I think it does the job. I never saw him live but I have his Concert with Class DVD and I think his tone is fine. I like the DVD, though it was SS and RF's playing that made it for me Smile

I think the tone wasn't THAT awful. But no frickin way in hell that tone will cut it in a rock context....lol

oh yeah, I can't stand any of his more rock-oriented stuff.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

The man needs to clense his mind, body, and soul of the whole L. Ron Hubbard fixtation. It's blurring his musical vision immensely!!!

I know little about Scientology except for some things that I've heard from people (most of 'em not all that good) and I don't want to judge it or anything, but I listened to the album with no preconceived notions. I didn't even read the liner notes until I listened through the whole thing. Then I took out the CD booklet and this is how it starts out:

"Three passions have converged. My passion as a composer/performer; my passion for the Elektric Band as a perfect orchestra; and my passion for L. Ron Hubbard as the ideal artist."

"my passion for L. Ron Hubbard as the ideal artist"... Hmmm... I really have nothing more to say.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acutally spent quite a bit of time researching Scientosmosmollogy. This is from a similar CCEB post over in the Holdsworth forum:

L. Ron Hubbard was a nutcase and someone who used his limited success to create a friggin cult like religion. Scientology is attractive to stars looking for a trendy "thing" to latch on to. The people running the cult are smart enough to pamper the hell out of these people because of the positive publicity it can bring them. Basically the cult works to promote, pamper, and lavish the top 5% by leeching off of the unfortunate other 95% of it's members - most of whom get started by a recruitment process that preys on the young, disillusioned, wayward souls that pepper society. At my local Kmart they'll be a guy their sometimes out front with a table full of Hubbard trash (aka: books) and some pamphlets describing how Scientology will change your life and make EVERYTHING better. This poor guy is so brainwashed that he can no longer see the forest thru the trees. He is just another pawn trying to make money for the cult in order to lavish the top 5% - oops I mean buy his way up the spiritual ladder.

Do some research, see what happens to those that either try to leave or expose the cult - they have an arm that operates like a friggin mafia with smear tactics, violence, fear, and intimidation.

There is a rumor in some Hollywood circles that both Cruise and Travolta had stayed in the cult only because they have materials on both of them that could greatly affect their careers if it were to be made public.

I won't buy any more CDs from Chick now that I know some of the proceeds will go towards benefiting one of the most perverse and outright crooked institutions in the world! The more you research it the more you will be amazed. Talk about a secret society operating in modern day times!

This is a link to a group dedicated to exposing Scientolozoologism for what it is. Be sure to check out the sections on what "The Mafia" has done to try and discredit some of these folks!

http://www.xenu.net/
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff... I'm quite suspicious of all of it myself. It's a shame that Corea would have to use the basis of such a shady organization and its works to make an artistic/musical statement. I'm not going to get into any anti-Scientology kind of thing here. It's not the appropriate place for it even if this is an "Open Discussion" section of the forum and I still know very little about it so I'm going to refrain from making any comments. All I know is that I didn't enjoy the album one bit! It stunk! Mad
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will refrain from any further diatribes about this issue but will implore the following to anyone within the forum:

If you have a friend or loved one that informs you they are interested in exploring the "benefits" of scientology, do them and yourself a huge favor by looking into it and educating yourself as much as possible.

I have left the building..............
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Donnie, I think all of us appreciate your genuine desire to help. Smile Not trying to clamp down or anything like that here. Just don't think that subject matter will have much legs here. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: