Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the album on and tried to write a song-by-song review, but just found myself describing the song, rather than really talking about the album. So, I deleted everything and rewrote it, just simply as what I could think to say about what I felt made this album so good. Interestingly enough, it hardly mentions any specific songs. Razz
---

As I sit here trying to type out my thoughts to this album, I find myself with a clear objective of what I should and wish to say, just without a solid path to the right words. To start, I guess it’s safe to say that after gaining the disc and letting my ears process it, I find myself wishing that I had become a fan of Guthrie’s long ago. At the same time, however, I’m lucky in the fact that since I was not a fan--avidly awaiting Mr. Govan’s release of this album--I was nowhere near as impatient as I’m sure some fans became during the wait. Therefore, I can wear my smug grin as well as obtain a sore behind from kicking myself due to my tardiness in the matter.

I have heard a lot of great music, though I’m doubtlessly unaware of some great musicians who I’m sure I’d be punished severely for not knowing of, but I have found myself enjoying this album more than any other I have heard in a good length of time. There’s something fresh in this album, at least to my ears, that achieves greatness while almost not attempting to. The songs are so well thought out, and played seemingly effortlessly by such talented musicians, that they come off as both memorable and easy listening.

I think perhaps one of the greatest aspects of the songs is that they aren’t overplayed. There is undoubtedly great musicianship displayed here, and yet even when notes begin to fly, nothing is without purpose. It all sounds “right” even when it’s “wrong”. Another wonderful thing about these songs is that they contain so much. There’s a great amount of variety in them without making any song sound too divided. Sections can feature blistering fast solos and the next moment the sound appears to be wading in the shallow end before it pulls you back into the deep end and immerses you in more.

Though this is Guthrie’s solo album, it’s not merely his platform to shine. He happily shares it with the two other members of Erotic Cakes, Seth Govan and Pete Riley, each appearing to be masterful in his own instrument. And being a master of your instrument is another thing that makes this album interesting to me. Not only are there beautiful and memorable melodies, varying time signatures, and blistering solos, but techniques are employed here that while over the top, are used in such a tasteful manner as to make the songs more enjoyable rather than lend themselves to the masturbation of guitar playing. The seven-finger tapping in “Sevens”, for instance, is amazing and allows such a beautiful chorus to be possible. One, of course, can't forget the contributions of Richie Kotzen and Ron Thal, who each add a touch of themselves to their guest performances while keeping in the spirit of the songs.

If there’s but one more thing to say about the playing, it’s that everything is so fluid. With the exception of a few places, all the music is so clean and fluid that it allows you to hear everything without missing a drop. I think I can best summarize my thoughts with something I wrote the first time I was attempting to review this album, in relation to Wonderful Slippery Thing: “It’s like holding a slippery electric eel…shocking!”
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice thoughtful review. You hit the proverbial nail on the head and echo what many listeners have felt but couldn't quite put into words. I've noticed many people have been having a hard time verbalizing their thoughts after listening to the album numerous times. I felt the same way and y'all know that I'm normally quite eager to express my thoughts about Guthrie's playing and music. I've offered my scattered thoughts here and there but have still not offered that complete unified review that I've wanted to put together. Well, I plan to put one together over the next week or so. Our good member here Resi has told me that he'd post the review on UltimateGuitar.com.

It's certainly a very unique album. As you say, it's fresh, it's not pretentious despite the sheer ambitiousness of it all, not a single note is wasted and yet there is a raw spontaneous feel and vibe to the whole album, and it leaves you wanting more and more even though you are overwhelmed by what you've just absorbed. I can't quite recall an album that made me feel like this in a long time and whatever other album left a similar impression on me, it certainly wasn't a guitar instrumental album.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed! I presume you're talking to me, anyway. Laughing

I really haven't had time to go through and read many others' reviews. Sorry, folks! I'll try to later on.

I truly hope that Guthrie does put out quite a few other CDs, and doesn't take quite so long as the first one took in order to get things in order. Of course, at the same time, I don't want anything so rushed that everything on EC seems so much more thoughtful and tasteful than his next work. But it's far too early to be talking about his next endeavor. I'm pleasantly suspended in the "now", so to speak, and while I do want to get more of his stuff, there's no sense rushing him for anything else right now.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NESFantasy wrote:
Thanks Ed! I presume you're talking to me, anyway. Laughing

I really haven't had time to go through and read many others' reviews. Sorry, folks! I'll try to later on.

I truly hope that Guthrie does put out quite a few other CDs, and doesn't take quite so long as the first one took in order to get things in order. Of course, at the same time, I don't want anything so rushed that everything on EC seems so much more thoughtful and tasteful than his next work. But it's far too early to be talking about his next endeavor. I'm pleasantly suspended in the "now", so to speak, and while I do want to get more of his stuff, there's no sense rushing him for anything else right now.

Yes, I was talking to you. Wink Thanks for posting the review on the Racer X forum as well. I'm sure it's good enough for at least a few more sales! Very Happy

I'm sure we'll be treated to many more CD's for a long time to come - not only solo CD's like this but with the Fellowship, GPS, other band projects, studio session work, jazz/fusion sideman gigs, experimental stuff, etc.

Yes, pleasantly suspended in "now" is a very apt description. Now if I can just tear myself away from EC to really immerse myself in the GPS album...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Delicato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the album yesterday. WOOHAAA.
It's amazing!!! I haven't made it past Erotic Cakes yet though as I had to listen to it and Waves over and over again cause they ruled. I must say that after reading posts here I wasn't sure what to expect from the title track, but now that I hear it, it's not that far of from the DVD version that I hoped it would resemble. Can't write more. Listening.
kabuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my words:

DeanS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fairly indifferent to it after the first listening. Played it about 4/5 times now and I love it.

Just wish my guitar sounded as good- incredibly good tones, cutting yet sweet and creamy!
James W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha so I admit I totally forgot about this forum. Laughing

Can't be bothered with a detailed disquisition, all I'll say is that it's fabulous. Very good.

My one bone to pick is that I think Guthrie should be more discriminating about the textures he uses - e.g. the counterpoint between different guitar tracks on say 'Uncle Skunk' really adds a lot to it, but I think in the fast bit of 'Sevens' the saturated texture of guitar chords and the bass playing the main riff I feel obfuscated what is musically extremely cool. So I think something like 'Sevens' sounds better live. I would actually really love for Guthrie to release a live album, just to strip it down to the trio and let the songs really shine instead of some of the songs being over-worked on.

The album really is echelons above all the 'competition' out there.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:

Can't be bothered with a detailed disquisition, all I'll say is that it's fabulous. Very good.

What?!?!? I was expecting a 10-page dissertation from you! Evil or Very Mad Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
James W wrote:

What?!?!? I was expecting a 10-page dissertation from you! Evil or Very Mad Cool

That's show-biz for ya Sad never work with kids, animals or fans of Germaine Greer..

Now if you asked him to write a review on the Michael Angelo Batio Forum, he'd be there in a flash Wink

I have the power!
modoc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolute breath of fresh air. I recieved my copy a few weeks ago and it's become a favourite...waves was on repeat for atleast one of the two weeks in question Smile
The great thing about Guthrie in my opinion is his ability to morph into any style. He's a jazzer, no...he's a rocker...no, country?? What the hell is he?? He's Guthrie...you can hear his influences, but he's unique in tone and feel. I think he's pretty much found himself...can't wait for the next release.
I feel the same way about this album as i do about VH1, Rising Force, High Tension Wires and Passion and Warfare. Really is top rate...Kudo's to Guthrie!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
Here's my words:

Hey Kabuki, thanks for the review! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Doug Aldrich Says... Reply with quote

Doug Aldrich just received a copy and the following is what he had to say:

"I just recieved Guthie's new record 'Erotic Cakes' and I am floored! It's been a long time since I heard playing and a record that cool. Amazing songs and sick playing from the whole band on every track. The song 'Waves' is on my daily playlist now. It's one of those melodies that you won't forget and you will crave to hear again and again. I had the pleasure to meet Guthrie on tour in '05 and aside from being one of the most gifted players I have heard, he is just a top guy. Nice one Guthrie!....Thank you bro!"

More quotes from noteworthy players are forthcoming. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug Aldrich Says... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Doug Aldrich just received a copy and the following is what he had to say:

"I just recieved Guthie's new record 'Erotic Cakes' and I am floored! It's been a long time since I heard playing and a record that cool. Amazing songs and sick playing from the whole band on every track. The song 'Waves' is on my daily playlist now. It's one of those melodies that you won't forget and you will crave to hear again and again. I had the pleasure to meet Guthrie on tour in '05 and aside from being one of the most gifted players I have heard, he is just a top guy. Nice one Guthrie!....Thank you bro!"

More quotes from noteworthy players are forthcoming. Very Happy

Hey Ed heres a good guote Cool from MR SATRIANI,

"Paul,
Totally freakin awesome!!! Tell Guthrie and Jan this CD put a grin on my face a mile wide.
Joe"

Last edited by Mr C. on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

How about speaking to Joe & Mick Brigden and getting Guthrie some exposure on the next G3 tour. Maybe not as a 'G' (he's not big enough yet) but he could guest at one of the shows Cool

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: