Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Great Guthrie Interview
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Guthrie Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the internet for almost fifteen years now, but I've never came across any website that made you register for reading an INTERVIEW...
Resi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
I've been on the internet for almost fifteen years now, but I've never came across any website that made you register for reading an INTERVIEW...

Then you haven't done a whole lot on the internet. Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resi wrote:
RD wrote:

Yeah, all the newspaper and news magazine sites like NY Times, Washington Post, Time, etc. force you to register to read the articles. It's a pretty common thing, it seems.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Dee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:

I don't recall having to do that either, but who cares. It's a quality site and it's worth the few seconds it takes to register.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: PRINCE! Reply with quote

One thing that lit me up reading the interview was that Guthrie was listening to a lot of Prince back during his teenage formative years. For some reason, Guthrie and I never got to talking about Prince but now I know we will the next time we hook up! Prince is certainly one of my all-time fave musicians and I was really into him in the early-80's before he hit it big with 'Purple Rain'. I'm talking albums like 'Dirty Mind', 'Controversy', and '1999' - all masterpieces and progenitors of modern hip-hop and dance/electronica. And then 'Purple Rain' took it over the top by adding elements of heavy guitar-driven rock.

Those early-80's Prince records tend to sound dated now but I guess that can't be helped when the guy's at the cutting edge and experimenting with the latest technologies at that point in time. I mean, when you think about it, a lot of the Beatles stuff sounds dated as well although some of their best songs have a timelessness about them. Anyway, it didn't surprise me at all that Guthrie took in heavy doses of Prince during those early years. As far as I'm concerned, Prince is probably the most gifted pop musician of the last 30 years or so. He was also a real "progressive", constantly pushing the boundaries of the norm in pop and that made him hard to stay on top of, but he always kept things interesting.

I'm not really sure what Prince is up to these days. Somewhere along the line I lost track but I gather he's still doing some very interesting stuff. The man is a pure musical genius. It'd be really cool to see Guthrie doing something with Prince somewhere down the line. Guthrie is really into funk and dance/electronica stuff if it's simply good music and I tend to view things in the same way. Believe it or not, I've got tons of hip-hop and techno albums in my collection, ranging from Public Enemy to NWA to Dr Dre to Outkast in hip-hop and from Autechre to Chemical Brothers to Orbital to Squarepusher in techno.

Getting back to Prince, I'd imagine that he stays on top of the great guitar players and it shouldn't be long before he becomes aware of Guthrie. Guthrie is certainly funky enough for him. It's just wishful thinking, but I can definitely envision something really cool coming out of such a collaboration.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got two words for you: wendy and lisa ... öh, that was actually three words Laughing

agree sooo much. prince (the 80s) stuff is one of my biggest influences. it kills me everytime i realize how damn good the guy is (which happens all the time), and the people he gets in his band ... sigh.

but i have to say it again: wendy and lisa!

RD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Prince never appealed to me except for those songs that, I think, were with the New Power Generation with the songs like "Get Up" and more that I can't remember...you know, with the hotties in his video clips.

But looking back, he was indeed always doing his own thing wich is respectable indeed. His guitar playing, in my opinion, is actually quite cliche when you listen to it wihout other intruments playing and he also copied the moves from Hendrix when performing on stage. Like that slide-thing with his forearm. But ofcourse in comparison with most guitarists on MTV he's a very good player.

Anyway, I came to respect Prince because he succeeded to really do what he wants in life the way he wants to do it and that takes guts and hard work that most people don't have.

I worked at a guitar shop for a year where the owner was in contact with all kinds of people in the music world. He was telling a story about a man who, for a reason I don't know, stayed in the same house as Prince and he couldn't sleep at night and asked Prince if he could listen when he'd make music, wich apparantly, Prince did at night. Prince said "ok" as long as he kept quiet. Prince seemed to play extremely beautifull, going from one instrument to the other and the listening guy told the guitar store owner (or whoever) that he never heard anything like it.

I think that is what Prince really wants to do: to make music as he wants to make for himself and now and then, when he needs some cash, he creates a cd that contains som hits so he can continue what he wants to do. So he's probably much better then you'll ever get to hear on MTV.

I also heard he is pretty anti-social and never did any interviews, wich is pretty smart I think, 'cause then you just let the music do the talking and nobody can 'catch' you on something offensive you might have said now and then.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:
RD wrote:

I don't recall having to do that either, but who cares. It's a quality site and it's worth the few seconds it takes to register.

I agree with that; it's a nice interview indeed.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Resi wrote:
RD wrote:

Yeah, all the newspaper and news magazine sites like NY Times, Washington Post, Time, etc. force you to register to read the articles. It's a pretty common thing, it seems.

I live in the Netherlands, Ed; I'm not an American who reads the NY Times, and all these other american magazines. Most Americans don't even know where the netherlands is and apparantly often mix it up with german speaking people, so I don't really feel guilty for not reading your papers/magazines Wink
James W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a prison sentence for copying and pasting the interview on here for those of us that cannot be arsed to register?

DISCLAIMER: I have registered, it is just that my password has not come to me instantly, and I'm a busy chap.
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer James W last point - of course not. But why bother doing that when there are a load of great things to access once you are registered - as well as some other great interviews in this issue alone - Greg Howe and Andy Timmons amongst others.

It is quicker to register than muck around copying and pasting - and as it is not a scroll all the way down to the end of the interview down to the bottom - would be ridiculous with 15,000+ words! - then good luck!

Out of interest, and speaking as the editor here, a couple of people seem to have had a real problem about registering. Why? Once done so everything - all the content, exclusive tracks, education etc is FREE?
And soon there will be some unique recordings that promise to feature many of our fave guitarists going back to back.

Over the next few months some of the the leading teachers and writers from GTCD, Guitar Institute, BIMM, ACM, GIT in Hollywood will all be doing lessons with audio, and we have a very cool list of upcoming interviews. Please remember that we are working very hard on these interviews, and many of the companies that are working with us will be reassured that we have thousands of registered users (and after only 11 days we are easily in the thousands already....) as having these is the closest to having a quantified circulation as print magazines have.

We are trying to help build a real guitar network, and having people registered means that we can inform them of events both national and local - for instance Sept 23rd is the first alloutguitar festival and we are committed to building many live events. If you are not registered then how can we inform you?

Anyway, as Ed is also part of the alloutguitar team, with his column 'Notes From LA', I am not sure that attempting to paste the whole 14/15,000 word interview here is suitable, or would go down to well.

P.S. The revised version of the interview, up over the weekend, will also have lots of cool new Guthrie photos etc.

P.P.S Please anyone contact me directly at owen@alloutguitar.com if you have any issues, comments etc
James W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I realise that I did get the email sent to me, but it was classified as 'junk mail'.

Sorry.
Glenn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PRINCE! Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Believe it or not, I've got tons of hip-hop and techno albums in my collection, ranging from Public Enemy to NWA to Dr Dre to Outkast in hip-hop and from Autechre to Chemical Brothers to Orbital to Squarepusher in techno.

You listen to Ozric Tentacles and Shpongle as well? They're both very very good indeed.
jabe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: great interview seconded Reply with quote

hi, newbie here and just registered here as a result of looking www.alloutguitar.com, so hello all
stumbled across the Andy Timmons interview and signed up (which is not really any hassle James W!), and had a gander at the Guthrie. What an awesome interview, extremely interesting and well put together. I have heard some of his stuff before, but not to the same degree as you guys. I will certainly be checking ALL his stuff out. he seems like a thoroughly nice bloke as well as a true virtuoso, a word that is all to often used to describe musch lesser players.

The rest of the site though, has got some really cool stuff, and the chap on there called andy james seems incredible. ( I geekily youtubed him, and boy you should all check this blokes playing out!!!)

This must be the only decent onlione mag out there, and as someone said earlier, proper interviews, with real insight!!! Guess they may have updated cos i didn't see any bold stuff in the interviews, and all in all was a pleasure to read, just irritates me how some like to moan about registering, when you must have registered just to get on here!!!!

I am definitely going to support this site as firstly, it has definitely go tme into Guthrie, which i should have done years ago, and secondly, if this standard is kept up, there will not be many other places worth looking at on the web in comparison. I say this is the kind of thing we all should be happy is out there.
Love to see an interview with Yngwie i this depth, that should be hilarious!!!
cheers
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: PRINCE! Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Believe it or not, I've got tons of hip-hop and techno albums in my collection, ranging from Public Enemy to NWA to Dr Dre to Outkast in hip-hop and from Autechre to Chemical Brothers to Orbital to Squarepusher in techno.

I also have a ton of hip hop in my collection, Ed. I have listened to it since 1986 but hip hop is shameful nowadays. I also studied the art of scratching since 1996 or something, reaching a high standard. Heck, I am considered by some to be one of the best scratch DJ's in the world now! To me that's quite funny, but I do appreciate the appreciation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: