Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711UK wrote:
Paul

How about speaking to Joe & Mick Brigden and getting Guthrie some exposure on the next G3 tour. Maybe not as a 'G' (he's not big enough yet) but he could guest at one of the shows Cool

Tony

I already have, I think you all would be suprized at the amount of work that goes on quietly behined the scenes on behalf of Guthrie here at the home of Cornford.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug Aldrich Says... Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:

Hey Ed heres a good guote Cool from MR SATRIANI,

"Paul,
Totally freakin awesome!!! Tell Guthrie and Jan this CD put a grin on my face a mile wide.
Joe"

Awesome, Paul! The quote is already spreading like wildfire out there. Wink

I'm sure you've got a lot of things in motion on behalf of Guthrie out there. We're doing our part on this side of the pond as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for Guthrie getting more attention! I might need to email Randy Allar again...
Mr C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug Aldrich Says... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Mr C. wrote:

"Paul,
Totally freakin awesome!!! Tell Guthrie and Jan this CD put a grin on my face a mile wide.
Joe"

I'm sure you've got a lot of things in motion on behalf of Guthrie out there. We're doing our part on this side of the pond as well.

Thanks Ed,

Did you see I had to change the quote to Freakin Wink

PC
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I know you're up to your arses in stuff doing your bit but he really needs a fully functioning website now!!!

Even I have one and I'm a pretty shit guitar player!

When you get the likes of Satriani saying positive things about you, the guitar world is going want to know more for definite.

Tony
Mr C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711UK wrote:
Guys I know you're up to your arses in stuff doing your bit but he really needs a fully functioning website now!!!

Even I have one and I'm a pretty shit guitar player!

When you get the likes of Satriani saying positive things about you, the guitar world is going want to know more for definite.

Tony

Guthrie doesn't own that site, so its difficult,

PC
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my copy today.....haven't listened to it yet, just about to go downstairs and give it a spin!!

Just wanted to give Paul a bit of a plug here......

I emailed Paul with a question about the CD a few weeks back. Paul replied within a day or so and gave me a polite and thorough answer to my question.

Fast forward to the 11th Spetember......I placed my order to Paul via PayPal....and exactly 7 days later, I received my CD.....in Australia. Now thats outstanding service.....well done to Cornford Records.

When will you be releasing the next Guthrie album? Wink

PS Paul, if you are reading this, I sent you an email yesterday re a band called The Butterfly Effect, who I believe are endorsed by your company? IN any case, I'm really enjoying their album a lot too.

PPS: Edit....just listened to it about 4 times in a row (haven't really internalised it yet via headphones though). First thing that jumps out at me are the incredible guitar tones....just beautiful. I read in the liner notes that all the tones were done with natural amp distortion and no OD or distortion pedals. If thats the case, then Cornford amps should be well pleased....they are about the best modern lead tones I've ever heard captured on disc. Jan Cyrka has done an excellent job in producing this as well.....so easy to listen to, not fatiguing at all on the ears, and everything in its right sonic space. More comments to follow....even though I'm about the last person here to get a copy!
modoc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally reminds me of 'Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure"
I'm sure if we could time travel they will be playing Erotic Cakes in a future time, strumming along, playing air guitar and enjoying the the world peace and unity Guthries tunes will bring.

Or maybe i'm just getting carried away Laughing

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug Aldrich Says... Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
Mr C. wrote:

"Paul,
Joe"

Thanks Ed,

Did you see I had to change the quote to Freakin Wink

PC

Haha, that's cool. Yeah, Guthrie has a way of bringing out the expletives out of us! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Got my copy today.....haven't listened to it yet, just about to go downstairs and give it a spin!!

Just wanted to give Paul a bit of a plug here......

I emailed Paul with a question about the CD a few weeks back. Paul replied within a day or so and gave me a polite and thorough answer to my question.

Fast forward to the 11th Spetember......I placed my order to Paul via PayPal....and exactly 7 days later, I received my CD.....in Australia. Now thats outstanding service.....well done to Cornford Records.

When will you be releasing the next Guthrie album? Wink

PS Paul, if you are reading this, I sent you an email yesterday re a band called The Butterfly Effect, who I believe are endorsed by your company? IN any case, I'm really enjoying their album a lot too.

PPS: Edit....just listened to it about 4 times in a row (haven't really internalised it yet via headphones though). First thing that jumps out at me are the incredible guitar tones....just beautiful. I read in the liner notes that all the tones were done with natural amp distortion and no OD or distortion pedals. If thats the case, then Cornford amps should be well pleased....they are about the best modern lead tones I've ever heard captured on disc. Jan Cyrka has done an excellent job in producing this as well.....so easy to listen to, not fatiguing at all on the ears, and everything in its right sonic space. More comments to follow....even though I'm about the last person here to get a copy!

Glad that you're diggin it, Glenn. Yeah, it really sounds great, doesn't it? It's the combination of everything that makes it so amazing and cool.

I sent a copy from of a bunch I bought to my sister-in-law's husband as a gift. He's your average casual music fan who doesn't play. He dabbled with classical guitar in high school and that's the extent of his experience with the guitar. He sent me an email saying that he was initially afraid that it'd be "heavy" and "harsh" cuz he knows I'm into over-the-top shred with mega metal distortion. Laughing

But he went onto say that he's listening to it everyday in the car and that he was pleasantly surprised by how "smooth" everything sounded. Even my sister-in-law, who normally listens to classical music and light pop music, said she really enjoyed it and appreciates the amazing musicianship. She described it as not being "too loud" and that she actually enjoyed it, which surprised her.

As I said, this is an album that will appeal to many music fans who are not players or musicians. I've always felt that Guthrie had that quality from the beginning. He makes difficult and advanced things sound easy and fun to listen to.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ok, I know this is going to seem pretty tragic...but then again some people might find it interesting. After listening to it a few times, I've found a couple of bits in Erotic Cakes that are similar to other bits of music.

They are:

1. The opening part of Hangover is very similar to the part from 3:30 - 4:00 in Frank Zappa's Theme for Sinister Footwear 2nd Movement, off the Make a Jazz Noise Here album. Not identical, but similar in tempo, chords, melody and bass line. I know Guthire is a Zappa fan...I wonder if this was intentional, or just osmosis at work? Very Happy

2. Noone will believe me.....but the part in Ner Ner from 4:03-4:07 is actually the same melody in 'The Never ending Story'. Just after they sing "the never ending stoooo-rieeeeee".....they do that descending line that goes "na na nah - na na nah - na na nah"...which is the same as the line GG plays in Ner Ner. Crystal clear everyone? Laughing

I'm sure that wasn't intentional by Guthrie. Well, I hope it wasn't intentional. Laughing

Disclaimer # 1: this is not meant to be construed as an attack on the man himself, or to imply he is a plagiarist (other than from mother nature of course, as he has freely confessed).

Disclaimer # 2: I have honestly not heard, watched, or otherwise had anything to do with the film or music of The Never ending Story since it came out in the early 80's. Honestly. It just popped in my head as soon as I heard the track "#$%& me, I thought, thats the same as that bit in The Never Ending Story. I mentioned it here cause i figured there was a goodish chance that noone else would.....lol.

Disclaimer # 3: I am not attacking the film The Never Ending Story either. Apart from its grossly misleading and potentially litigious title, it was a great childrens film.

Diclaimer # 4: I do actually listen to music for fun, not to find parallels between one music and another. As far as I can remember, which isnt that far these days, I've never done this before. The closest I've come to that was try to explain to my niece that Madonna DID NOT write American Pie.

OK, thats all. Cheers,

Glenn
sieuminh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you a lawyer Glen? I find the disclaimers very entertaining and, well, professional!
Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sieuminh wrote:
are you a lawyer Glen? I find the disclaimers very entertaining and, well, professional!

Laughing Laughing Believe it or not, I actually am....
hecanrock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrugued by Glenn's comment so for everyone's benefit I have found said film theme music. I have to say it's not particularly similar just other than that it's a descending sequencing idea.

I was good to have a little trip down memory lane though:

http://neverending.stopklatka.pl/mp3/Never_Ending_Story.mp3
treeduck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn is nothing if not thorough...

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: