Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Can someone please help? I need a suggestion.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone please help? I need a suggestion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St3ve_HoVVe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Can someone please help? I need a suggestion. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have been playing the guitar for a number of years now but really know next to nothing about music theory and would really like to learn. It seems that most of the instrucional videos, books, etc require readers to have at least some knowledge of scales, modes, chord construction, etc. My goal is to acquire enough knowledge to be able to work with John McLaughlin's DVDs. Can someone please give me a good starting point to begin learning the theory? Are there books, DVDs, sites, that anyone would recommend? I am very passionate about music and playing guitar, so this would mean a lot to me. Everyone at Guthrie's forums seem to be supportive of each other unlike many other musicians' forums (which seems to be a reflection of Guthrie's personality himself). Thank you everyone!
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Guthrie's own Creative Guitar books to be very informative and inspirational. The first one deals with many of the issues you seem to be addressing, while the second focuses on individual techniques and how to use these in an effective and musical way.

So I'd suggest getting the first book, available from Amazon.com(that's where I got my copies). Guthrie explains things in a very easy-to-understand manner, even when things get quite complicated, so I think this could be the book you're looking for.
St3ve_HoVVe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Yngtchie! I had kind of assumed that Guthrie's books required some prior education, and was actually hoping to learn in order to be ready to work with his books, but this is much better Laughing I'm gonna order them tonight and can't wait to get started!
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to pick up them at some point as well. I really feel that I need to wrap my head around some of these concepts as it'll help in the long run, but my brain melts when things start getting too technical. Laughing
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a to a fairly long lesson I wrote about a year ago. It is about learning the notes on the fretboard, but there is a little theory section that is pretty good. At least to see about the major scale, which is the basis for all theory in the western system.

Good luck.

Tim

http://www.geocities.com/tmguitar/Learning.pdf

It is a pdf file, so you will need adobe. Cheers.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added that pdf to del.icio.us so I can read it at home. Cheers Mirth, I'm always looking for new ways to view things, to make my understanding more solid Wink

I'd recommend the Creative Guitar books, they are awesome the first book gives you a pretty solid grounding in "theory" but I'd call it music Wink and the second builds on techniques.

Other books I like are Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick and Modern Chord Progressions by Ted Greene.

I have the power!
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mirth! I saved that and will read more of it when I have a chance.
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problem. It's a little long winded at times, and since then I've revamped the system a bit, not much. One day I'll get around to making a more complete and simplified version of the system, and and a clear interpretation of how I view theory, etc...

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions, or comments.

Later,

Tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda reminds me of the Mick Goodrick "Unitar" lessons in Advancing Guitarist.

I had a similar thought when I looked at the guitar with the fretboard held at a 45 degree angle infront of me, it resembles a church organ with 6 rows of keys except the Cs aren't aligned.

Top reading that article Wink

I have the power!
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the first Creative Guitar book (doh! I forgot order by going through this website first!), but until that arrives, back to reading and learning from Mirth's article. Smile

The last few weeks I've been attending these music sessions, which people are schedule to get up and play (mostly acoustic stuff) their songs, and others are encouraged to get up and jam with them and stuff. This last time was a whole band, with some back up singers (added on just for fun), a guest violinist, and guest harmonica player. What was truly inspiring, however, was two of the guys in the band played like 4 different instruments and constantly switched off with one another between playing guitar, bass, keyboards, flute, and clarinet! Aside from being totally blown away by how wonderful the vibe was, I felt encouraged to buckle down on my own training...if they can play so many instruments well, I should at least get myself to play one partially well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: