Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - UPDATED PLAYER AND PRESS QUOTES FOR EROTIC CAKES
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATED PLAYER AND PRESS QUOTES FOR EROTIC CAKES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: UPDATED PLAYER AND PRESS QUOTES FOR EROTIC CAKES Reply with quote

Guthrie Press Quotes AS OF NOVEMBER 1ST.

• Joe Satriani Quote,

Totally freakin' awesome!!! This CD put a grin on my face a mile wide.

• Richie Kotzen Quote,

Guthrie Govan can do anything he wants as a guitarist. He has total command over the instrument, I love to watch Guthrie live as he always plays something new that the rest of us would never have thought of, he is truly a gifted musician and I am honoured to be a part of Guthrie's 1st album.

Guest solo from Richie on Ner Ner track 4

• Greg Howe Quote,

"Guthrie is a brilliant guitarist whose super high level of proficiency does not seem to be limited to any one particular genre or style"

• Dweezil Zappa Quote,

"Every time I hear Guthrie play I feel like I have to fasten my seatbelt.
He is an alien. His technique and execution is staggering. Ultimately what
is most impressive about him is his musicality. He has total freedom on
guitar... BASTARD!"

• Rob Balducci Quote,

“Guthrie is the most versatile guitarist/musician I have ever heard. His music reaches new heights and he can be one scary technical monster or be the sweetest thing you tasted. "

• Hal Stokes Quote,

Guthrie is a master on the guitar and every time I see or hear him play, I'm blatantly reminded of how good he actually is. If he'd been kicking out the jams in '69, the guitar hungry world of rock would have known about him. Most of all though, I like to think that with a title like Erotic Cakes and a name like Guthrie Govan, he would have been signed up for guitar duty by Captain Zappa himself!

• Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal Quote (Guns & Roses),

"I've known Guthrie since the days before email, when we'd write each other trading riffs. In the past years, we'd have long jams at NAMM conventions in California, and gigged together in the UK. And for all these years, I and the rest of the world-wide guitar community have harassed him incessantly to please, please release a full-length CD. Well, he's done it, and it's inspiring and mind-blowing and beautiful, as expected. Guthrie is the most-talented guitarist I've ever known, a great friend, and I'm honored to have contributed to his album. Thank you Guthrie, for the wonderful music and all you are." - Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

• Doug Aldrich Quote (Whitesnake),

"I just received Guthrie’s new record Erotic Cakes and I am floored!
It’s been a long time since I heard playing and a record that cool.
Amazing songs and sick playing from the whole band on every track.
The song Waves is on my daily playlist now. Its one of those melodies
that you won’t forget and you will crave to hear again and again.
I had the pleasure to meet Guthrie on tour in '05 and aside from
being one of the most gifted players I have heard, he is just a top guy.
Nice one Guthrie!....Thank you bro!"

• Neville Marten Quote,

Guthrie Govan is not just a brilliant guitarist; he's a fabulous
musician who can boast - although that's something he would never do -
flawless technique, perfect timing and an ear for a tune that few
players can match. At one moment Erotic Cakes has you gaping in wonder,
the next laughing with its obvious humour and then welling up as he
plays the perfect note over the perfect chord. It's been a long time
since a guitar album this good has seen the light of day.

• Rob Marcello Quote,

'Erotic Cakes' is one of the best guitar albums ever! Every guitar player
should have a copy; Guthrie RULES.

• Steve Stevens Quote,

"Steve Stevens salutes you." For a whole new generation of geetar players...Guthrie's got the ball and he's off and running with that sucker!
Amen!

• Guitar Techniques Magazine Quote,

Totally freakin’ awesome.” says Joe Satriani. “This album put a
smile on my face a mile wide!” GG’s debut has been around ten years
in the making and is one of the most eagerly awaited debut releases.
So was it worth the wait? Here’s what Whitesnake’s Doug Aldrich says:
“I’m floored! Amazing songs and sick playing from the whole band!
Waves is on my daily playlist!” And it’s true, from the moment that
first track nudges the speakers into action you know the boy has
exceeded even our greatest expectations. Weep at Eric, his tribute to
Eric Roche, grin at his million-miles-an-hour country fest Rhode
Island Shred and simply marvel at the magic of Fives and Ner Ner.
Guthrie has produced a textbook CD for everyone interested in weapons
grade rock guitar playing. As guest soloist Ritchie Kotzen puts it,
“Guthrie is a truly gifted musician and I am honoured to be a part of
his first album.” We have just one thing to say - go and buy it!

• Reb Beach Quote,

“The 'Erotic Cakes' CD is excellent. It doesn't get much better than that, does it? I stopped trying to improve years ago because of people like him. I love his melodies, which is rare for me when I hear other guitarists: so effortless. He is the most well rounded yet stunning guitarist I've ever heard.

• Lyle Workman (Sting, Beck etc),

"Guthrie is an unbelievable guitarist, especially in light of his depth as a
musician who is clearly inspired by various genres, harmony and rhythm
extending far beyond technique-driven guitar music. The man is cooking with
a lot of ingredients. He is supremely gifted and simply astounding. Once
again, I have been reduced to guitar OWNER."

• Brett Garsed

"An amazing debut! I can't wait to see where Guthrie will go with
future projects as I'm sure it'll be a great and unpredictable ride!"
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: John Suhr Reply with quote

Here's one from John Suhr. Quite a complement considering the luminaries that John has worked and dealt with since the mid-80's.

John Suhr wrote:

The new Guthrie record is a step in a great direction - back towards when players had to play to make records even if it is not on a major label; it is a great achievement.

I usually have a hard time listening to too much instrumental guitar. There are a lot of great players out there but that doesnt mean what they have to say makes sense to me. What is different to me is Guthrie sounds way more on the money and musical than a lot of others. He doesn't sound like he is trying to impress but he does. He always sounds in the pocket and pays attention to where the music is going. He never sounds like he is stretching for it.

It is the first instrumental guitar record that I like to listen to in a long time. Guthrie's playing, technique and phrasing is something most players will never achieve; he is brilliant. Guthrie is very different from anything I have ever heard before.

Rock on Guthrie! Great job! Very refreshing record!

John's more of an old classic rock music fan. His old favorites are guys like Leslie West, Billy Gibbons, Frank Marino, Pat Thrall, Jeff Beck, etc. But John's a very open-minded listener and has kept up with all the great players over the years - Gilmour, Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Lukather, EVH, Yngwie, EJ, Landau, Henderson, etc. Believe me, John doesn't give out complements like the above lightly.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Mr C.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Heres a quote we just got from Richard Fortus long term Guns n Roses guy, and a great guy.

Hi Paul,
"Guthrie is one of the finest players out today. His record encapsulates all of the elements that make a truly great guitar album. His outstanding technique, unique voice and passion come through in every song. I'm sure this is just the beginning for this amazingly talented player"
Richard

DanG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie really is just an incredible player and musician. When i look back at so many great technical players, they always mention how Vai's Passion and Warfare influenced them so much...

Well im one of the younger guys playing guitar, being only 18 myself, and i can honestly say that Erotic Cakes is the cd that is influencing me most! Guthrie really shows how musical one can make a guitar sound, while still providing jaw dropping licks effortlessly. Its Mindblowing!

I just cant wait to see what Guthrie brings us in the future, if his music is to this level already... its just going to get better and better!!!
Mr C.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanG wrote:
Guthrie really is just an incredible player and musician. When i look back at so many great technical players, they always mention how Vai's Passion and Warfare influenced them so much...

Well im one of the younger guys playing guitar, being only 18 myself, and i can honestly say that Erotic Cakes is the cd that is influencing me most! Guthrie really shows how musical one can make a guitar sound, while still providing jaw dropping licks effortlessly. Its Mindblowing!

I just cant wait to see what Guthrie brings us in the future, if his music is to this level already... its just going to get better and better!!!

Thank you Dan,

This is the stuff we want to hear,

Take care and never stop being influenced Wink

Paul
DanG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:

Thank you Dan,

This is the stuff we want to hear,

Take care and never stop being influenced Wink

Paul

No problem, you can be sure i wont stop being influenced. Or stop playing for that matter! Smile

Paul, i believe i met you on the sunday at Music Live on your Cornford booth. For identification purposes, i was the young guy with the dark long hair asking you all about the MK50H II.. Im sure there where many people though, so you probably wont remember haha!

It was nice to meet you though and you were very helpful! Im very interested in Cornford stuff now, i really loved the sounds i heard that day

Dan
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Erotic Cakes' is only the beginning of what I believe will be a most incredible music career for Guthrie. The sky literally is the limit for what he can achieve. As far as I'm concerned, a player and musician like Guthrie is unprecedented. I truly believe he'll continually set new benchmarks and keep pushing the boundaries of the guitar for a long, long time to come.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: