Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Ring Mod tone!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Ring Mod tone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluePowder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Guthrie's Ring Mod tone! Reply with quote

I noticed on several pictures of Guthrie's board that the Moog Ring modulator is present. Also on the title track of his album, there's a ring mod in use. Does anyone have close up pics of Guthrie's Moog?

I would like to find out the knob settings on his Moog.

I've tried searching for them via the usual photosite but most of them have turned out to be deadlinks.

Thanks!
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the thread on his fellowship rig. i think he uses an external 'expression' pedal for tuning in the desired frequency.

a cool nod to wayne krantz from guthrie i believe. wayne is a true master of ring mod soloing/grooving ... and everything else.

frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta disagree there, I love Wayne's Ring Mod stuff on the Partisans Max track. I love a lot of Wayne's stuff.

But if you listen to the Fellowship's BNH track from the Bassment CD, the solo in that uses a Ring Mod with a pitch shifter and you get what sounds like a radio tuning in an out between different styles of solo... some Zappa-esque stuff like Canarsie or Deathless Horsie ssssssssshhhooooooeeeeeeooooo .. shredded chunks of frosted laser sssssshhhhhooooooooeoooooo Larry Carlton tone... and so on.

I sound like a really bad fan-boy but for me it took the ring mod to new level.. and live we've seen the ring mod, whammy, guitar slide and e-bow ... it's sounds like a surgical grade theremin Cool

I love ring mods.. but for now I've got to make do with pulling one string across another and getting that up to a good speed... seems to work well for bebop flavour note clusters like the root and 7ths or 3rds and 4th..

I have the power!
BluePowder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow talk about a quick reply.

I stopped posting for a while because of the lack of replies and now look what a great place this has grown into! Smile

Yeah I've tried looking for pics, I've seen them before on the tonemerchants photosite, but seems like it's gone now. I have for sure seen pics of the ring mod settings, but I can't find them now.

I just got myself a moog ringmod today, it's pretty damn out there for a guy who's greatest leap off the modulation edge is a phaser, delay, and at best a robotalk!

Lot's of experimenting to do and I can see a lot of great tones coming out of this baby.

You guys should definately check one out especially Frank with his ringmod love!
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Gotta disagree there, I love Wayne's Ring Mod stuff on the Partisans Max track. I love a lot of Wayne's stuff.

But if you listen to the Fellowship's BNH track from the Bassment CD, the solo in that uses a Ring Mod with a pitch shifter and you get what sounds like a radio tuning in an out between different styles of solo... some Zappa-esque stuff like Canarsie or Deathless Horsie ssssssssshhhooooooeeeeeeooooo .. shredded chunks of frosted laser sssssshhhhhooooooooeoooooo Larry Carlton tone... and so on.

I sound like a really bad fan-boy but for me it took the ring mod to new level.. and live we've seen the ring mod, whammy, guitar slide and e-bow ... it's sounds like a surgical grade theremin Cool

I love ring mods.. but for now I've got to make do with pulling one string across another and getting that up to a good speed... seems to work well for bebop flavour note clusters like the root and 7ths or 3rds and 4th..

eh, i don't disagree with you frankus. and there's no contradiction between what we're saying. i didn't say that guthrie was a wayne krantz rip off (they are in different universes), or that there's only one way of using a moogerfooger. i do believe though, that guthrie holds krantz in higher esteem than you do frankus Wink but that's another story.

i feel that one of the greatest benefits with the use of a ring mod (in GG's case as well as Wayne's) is that the playing needs to focus more on rhythm, since 'modal-playing-over-a-vamp' doesn't really work with a ring mod ...

personally i use a zvex ringtone. really cool and simple, but with eight different mod settings that can be run as a sequencer. fun, fun. very zappaesque sounds from it.

Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think out of respect we should stop talking about Guthrie's ring and his knob settings, what he does in his own time is his biz Laughing
DanG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:
I think out of respect we should stop talking about Guthrie's ring and his knob settings, what he does in his own time is his biz Laughing

LOL!!

Anytime i mention a "Ring Modulator" to someone who doesnt play guitar.. i get this weird, almost scared look from them Shocked Confused

Laughing
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the R.A. Penfold book on guitar effect projects with a view to making a ring mod.

Effectively it's an L.F.O (low frequency oscillator) and an op amp to combine the guitar signal with the L.F.O signal..

But the most interesting thing was the research Penfold had done into the sound... it's sometimes called a Metalizer because the sound it makes is like a gong, bell, cymbal or more genericly a metal percussive instrument. The reason for this is that these are 2 dimensional (at least) and therefore have more harmonics generated.

I love the sound but part of the appeal is the dissonance created which can be heard throughout what might otherwise be a really "white-bread" melodic passage. Perhaps the ring mod is just the next step in the ever expanding world of accepted tones... playing a tritone once would have got you excommunicated (allegedly), in the 30s pianists started playing maj7 chords where maj6 chords had been the standard... and in the 40s people were writing in to complain that the #4 was killing jazz music.

And if we're about bigging up the ring-mod how about this thought: I think the whammy pedal is the antithesis of the ring-mods forays into dissonance by giving players an opt out... play the 4th degree over a major chord and it might sound bad but if you whack it up an octave or two and it's a sweeter 11th note.. just a thought.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: