Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Yngwie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yngwie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: yng Reply with quote

Yeah it is easy to see why people see ungwie as a aprody, but in my books he will always be one of the best, just look at his vibrato, tone, knowledge of classical music,and what other guitar player has been arrested for kidnapping( although unjustly i might add), driven a motorbke through his school and written other guitar players letters thanking him fornot sounding like him, hahah, he is a true rock star as well as an astounding musician, i will defend him to the death. and hesone of guthries favourites, nuff said
RD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malmsteen playing some blues (from the Hot Licks video):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YR66UA8B
Tuddsound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Yngwie stuff was the Alcatrazz studio CD - No Parole. He has a lot more variety in his playing than he seemed to have later on. Also the solos were shorter and seemed to be a little more for the song. Kree Nakoorie has the little breaks in his phrasing and stuff, variety in tone, etc.
Bee Pee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabbage wrote:

Around that time Guitar Player magazine had come out with 'Black Star' on a cheap little thin plastic record single insert (as in, phonograph record...) plus the transcription (done by Steve Vai I think?).

Seriously, when me and my friends first heard Black Star on that cheap ass little record, we thought, "Holy Sh*t!! No way!! That has to be a sped up recording or something!!!" (I wish I still had that record...)'''''''''

YEEEAHH I remember that.I thought for sure it had been sped up too because...IT WAS..... Shocked

I just assumed it was a 45 but it was a 33 but damn if it still wasn't faster than hell(beyond me a the time) and it still grooved!!... .YJM is a one bad mo fo!!!

Him,Frank Gambale Scott Henderson and Paul Gilbert kept me and most of my '85 GIT Alumni sweltering in the practice rooms...hell...Paul Gilbert could play like that back then and I think he was all of 17!!!

PS ooops!!..forgot Jimmy Herring,Jennifer Batten and Norman Brown.

BP

Last edited by Bee Pee on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tri_tone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure he looks a bit funny these days (ahum..make that 2 decades), the man is firmly rooted in the 80's Smile
He has singlehandedly perfected a genre (neo-classical shred) and has released groundbreaking albums like Rising Force and Trilogy. What made me a huge fan though were Eclipse and later on Facing the Animal. Especially Facing.. was pretty contemporary, huge production and Cozy Powell on drums!! I had the privilege of meeting the man one time after a concert and it was a fun experience I'll never forget Cool
M@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I bought Rising Force when it first came out when I was about 17 years old (showing my age there guys). TOTALLY blew my mind, and it still does - didn't we all wanna play like Yngwie? I know I did...

I was listening to the Rising Force album and the Marching Out album just the other day, and he had some great ideas and his music was much more "together". I heard "Unleash The Fury" and in my opinion it was just pathetic uninspired dribble, with obvious riffs / progressions from his earlier work - that is just lazy.

Much respect for his playing, though I don't believe he invented the neo-classic genre - check out Blackmore (obvious rip off there) and Uli Jon Roth. I would say Yngwie took it to the extreme and next level - I just don't hear any kind of evolution in his stuff these days, just the same bag of tricks.

Anyway, these following parodies really made me laugh... fantastic!!!

"I am your new God little boys, I'm just amazing..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSo0Qa_cA0&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQ63P_sJiA&NR
M@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I remember the little plastic records they used to do in Guitar Player Magazine. If I remember correctly, "The Attitude Song" by Steve Vai was the first one.

I'm quite sure I still have those records and magazines - I gave them to a good buddy back in Australia, and I'm sure he still has them stashed away in a cupboard somewhere....

...hmmm, wonder if they are worth any money on eBay...

Cheers!
braxton906

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, M@ those parodies on "youtube" are hilarious! I haven't laughed that much about guitar player stuff since I saw this picture of Robin Trower playing that looked like Barney Fife...I too saw YM when Rising Force came out but haven't listened to him since the early 90's...I HAVE though become a fan of George Bellas; for those of you who are fans of this genre, check him out, he's the best..or damn close to the yop.
RD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These youtube vids made me cry from laughing... Really, I haven't laughed so extremely in a long time; thanks for posting!
assfax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said before, he's a stylist in the way that BB King is a stylist. His signature tone is all kinds of awesome. Some of the vocal numbers are a bit... poofy, but Far Beyond the Sun is killer. Michael Angelo, on the other hand, just makes me want to laugh at my speakers.
Errock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is too good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldVew8bDBM
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the real deal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAiubnf0EHU
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: yng Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2mRY1QeY4
this is my favourite stuff, especially vivance for anyone with the album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: