Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Strings...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strings...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Strings... Reply with quote

I notice on the Dean Markley website that it mentions Guthrie uses the Blue Steel Dean Markley strings:

http://www.deanmarkley.com/EndArtists/Asia.shtml

Can anyone confirm which brand of string Guthrie uses?

Cheers
Riffronan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I could help...but I had a similar question about his strings. I understand that Suhr's come from the shoppe loaded with .010s...I can't find the specs on Suhr's site as to what his neck scale on his axes are, but if it's a 25.5 incher, how can he bend so easliy? I'l love to fatten up my tone with some 10s but at standard pitch and having a light touch, 10s feel way too stiff on my N4's 25.5" scale.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riffronan wrote:
Man, I wish I could help...but I had a similar question about his strings. I understand that Suhr's come from the shoppe loaded with .010s...I can't find the specs on Suhr's site as to what his neck scale on his axes are, but if it's a 25.5 incher, how can he bend so easliy? I'l love to fatten up my tone with some 10s but at standard pitch and having a light touch, 10s feel way too stiff on my N4's 25.5" scale.

Just keep playing with 10s, get used to it. It really isn't that big a deal after a while.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all of the Suhr guitars are 25.5" at the moment. We use D'Addario XL's as stock strings. Normally we string 'em with 10's but also offer 9's or 11's if people request these other gauges. Guthrie definitely uses 10's but I think he uses a variety of brands. I like the Elixir Nanowebs because they simply last a good long while.

10's are the way to go. You just get a fuller tone all around with the 10's over the 9's. Like thelordofcheesecake says, you'll get used to 'em fast enough. The first few weeks may be hard on your fingertips, but you'll persevere and get used to it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Riffronan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to you guys... *sigh*... ok, so I read your suggestion, I went ahead and ordered 3 sets of DR 9.5s...he,hee. Break into the 10s a bit ...ah and can't wait for the Aldrich bridge pup. I'm kinda crossing my fingers that the 59er will balance with it. Ya know, I also have a question about body woods...the guit-fiddles that Aldrich uses are Mahogany maybe? Mine is alder...would that make a big sonic difference in using his signature pup? I understand that alder is used in alot of 60s Strats sooo...is alder an 'ok' wood to pair with this pup?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riffronan wrote:
Listen to you guys... *sigh*... ok, so I read your suggestion, I went ahead and ordered 3 sets of DR 9.5s...he,hee. Break into the 10s a bit ...ah and can't wait for the Aldrich bridge pup. I'm kinda crossing my fingers that the 59er will balance with it. Ya know, I also have a question about body woods...the guit-fiddles that Aldrich uses are Mahogany maybe? Mine is alder...would that make a big sonic difference in using his signature pup? I understand that alder is used in alot of 60s Strats sooo...is alder an 'ok' wood to pair with this pup?

I'm sure you can do it, dude! Very Happy

The Aldrich will sound fine with Alder. We've already made quite a few Alder body guitars with the Aldrich set and they sounded great. Good pickups are supposed to enhance and accurately convey the natural acoustic properties of the instrument, not color 'em. As I'm often fond of saying, an electric guitar's acoustic signal is like an ant being converted into something the size of a dinosaur through amplification. If you have a beautiful ant, you'll get a beautiful dinosaur. If you have an ugly ant, good pickups and a good amp won't help very much - you'll still likely get an ugly dinosaur. The pickup is the first in the chain of this process, so it's very important, but you want to hear the woods of the guitar, not the pickups.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Riffronan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex...live and learn..I love that Cool
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
As I'm often fond of saying, an electric guitar's acoustic signal is like an ant being converted into something the size of a dinosaur through amplification. If you have a beautiful ant, you'll get a beautiful dinosaur. If you have an ugly ant, good pickups and a good amp won't help very much - you'll still likely get an ugly dinosaur.

What?! Wait a second... are you trying to tell us that Tone Merchants was in fact a secret lab that you were attempting to recreate a "Jurassic Park"-like dinosaur inhabited world, and that the guitar gear was only a front? For shame! We all saw how they ended up before...
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still use 9s on their guitars? Wow... I thought the went the way of spandex and eye-liner for men.

I have the power!
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is scary shit... its called Dino-SUHR ... u know DinoSUHRs are much larger than normal dinosaurs ... i've got a feeling godzilla's one of those 'trail-&-error' DinoSuhrs that got out from the lab. Laughing
dreamfullofzen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people still play on .9s... depends on the guitar.. most Ibanez guitars don't feel right with .10s... the trems don't handle it and the frets get torn to pieces....

But .10s are where it's at...

i use Dean Markley Signature series... for me they're great.. sound good and last a fair good time. i don't like coated strings.. they tend to have a slightly toppier sound...

and as for D'ddarios... those things go black on me after i've tuned up..... Laughing
Riffronan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankus, you're hilarious man Smile and Dreamfullofzen has a good point. I love low action (3/64s at 12th) but some 'fight' for string bending is an important balance in feel. I've always used 9s but have recently been wanting at least the bottom strings to be thicker... more tone's always good, right. I'm gonna try the 9.5s for a few packs and I think I'll like the feel and sound better but the 10s might be too stiff. I'd bet that as well-made as the Suhrs are, especially having stainless steel frets, that using 10s is an obvious choice...may refret the N4 with 'em eventually
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my backup guitar is an Ibanez S Prestige, and I've been playing 10s on it for a few years now. I've had to add an extra spring to the tremolo, and it sits right, but it's a little stiff. But it's a good trade off.

I played 9s for the longest time. I always felt like jumping to 10s would make it not possible for me to play some of the more challenging stuff. But I think it was a good dose of transparency. Most of the guys like Guthrie can pull off the same licks on an acoustic!

Now, I'd never consider anything lighter than 10s. They hold up better, you get better tone (imo), and I really think you feel more in touch with your guitar. Once you get use to them, you'll wonder how and why you ever played anything else.
Riffronan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so the 9.5s came in, restrung her and playing feels solid...just enough meat for tone and fight in bending. 9s did feel like slinky 8s or something but I really don't see moving to 10s, at least on this N4. DR Strings are fantastic...
Hey I know this is off topic and I'm not a huge fan of the repetitive neo-classical genre, but check out this wonderfully fluent chopster...his hands move the way a tweety bird flicks its head Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7m3aIuGlUg
AML

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamfullofzen wrote:
some people still play on .9s... depends on the guitar.. most Ibanez guitars don't feel right with .10s... the trems don't handle it and the frets get torn to pieces....

That's very true. I use 9-46 on two of my Ibanez's because of the floating trem. You'll find most people on either Jemsite or the Ibanez forum all use 9's for this reason. On the hardtail i use 10-46, gives it a fuller tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: