Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Myriad Techniques Guthrie Has Mastered
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Myriad Techniques Guthrie Has Mastered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIBRATO!!!! ... one reason why vibrato's the most important to me .. EMOTION/LIFE ... i've heard a lot of blues players specially Hendrix do a one note solo..and it's just breath taking ... then i've heard/seen some brutal shreddy guys on mp3s/videos ,even faster than Malmsteen and Guthrie , but never wanna hear a bit of it again because they just can't hold a note,not even for 2 seconds...it's embarassing Confused ....BUT I LOVE GUTHRIE's VIBRATO!!!very full of emotion.. almost makes me cry every time Laughing i hope in his next album he'll have a ballad, you know like andy timmon-ish a la cry for you (made me teary-eye too) ..but with a Guthrie magic ..now that would be reeaally awesome ... !!!!!!!!
dreamfullofzen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his use of odd groupings is pretty sick, mostly since it sounds good... as opposed to trying to sound like an odd grouping...

+1 on the funk strumming... damn sick...

Cool
Arivergandez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie is a muscle-bound brute Very Happy
Mike M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that there is absolutely nothing Guthrie can't do on the guitar. I think that one of the things that really makes him stand out (it's not really a technique) is his authoritative playing. His vibrato is extremely strong and there is just something when you watch him play where it seems like he is playing the guitar; the guitar is not restricting him in anyway.

Has anyone ever seen Guthrie sight read?
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike M wrote:
I really think that there is absolutely nothing Guthrie can't do on the guitar. I think that one of the things that really makes him stand out (it's not really a technique) is his authoritative playing. His vibrato is extremely strong and there is just something when you watch him play where it seems like he is playing the guitar; the guitar is not restricting him in anyway.

Has anyone ever seen Guthrie sight read?

guthrie's very good in sight reading (i'm pretty sure) .. he mentioned in the alloutguitar.com interview when he used to study(self) music in the library everyday..stuff like theory and sight reading.... what a geek:D... like me.. (unfortunately i don't play as good as him Sad ) Cool
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u think it's in the beard? like simson? like if someone shaved him while sleeping, he'd loose his timing and ear?

seriously, guthrie is a good example of tha fact that great technique is very much connected to ones ear/pitch. notice how someone like guthrie rarely repeats himself? compare that to chops oriented players like rusty cooley. playing patterns is a muscle thing, guthrie's chops has more to do with his ability to think really really fast in combination with a really good ear.

Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
do u think it's in the beard? like simson? like if someone shaved him while sleeping, he'd loose his timing and ear?

seriously, guthrie is a good example of tha fact that great technique is very much connected to ones ear/pitch. notice how someone like guthrie rarely repeats himself? compare that to chops oriented players like rusty cooley. playing patterns is a muscle thing, guthrie's chops has more to do with his ability to think really really fast in combination with a really good ear.

that is all so true...i've read somewhere when he said about hearing the melody or whatever lick, first in your head then transmitting them through your fingers to the fret board is one of the most important skill an improviser should master..and GG is a master of that ability!! ... the only other 'shredder' for ME that also have this kind of ability is Yngwie Malmsteen, that guy has perfect pitch, maybe that's why a lot of guitarists hated him... Laughing funny thing is.. G.G & Y.J.M are both improvisers (and bloody fast)..has anyone noticed this? Laughing
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this is not a big deal within jazz or more improvisational music. there u got to have this ability to not make a fool out of yourself.

other well known rock guitar players with what seems a great ear/pitch, and where it comes through in their phrasing and overall musicality are andy timmons, richie kotzen and satch. i mean, it's not really necessary to point that out regarding henderson, landau or krantz ... Laughing

i don't mean that someone like petrucci (ridiculously good player), or greg howe has bad ear/pitch. of course not. but their playing is far more "structured" and "finger based". well, so was shawn lane to a certain degree, but that guy had the best ear one could dream of ... so f***ing musical! the fact that his fast playing was very finger pattern based is partly a result of the fact that it's probably the only way to make it possible to play that fast with a certain control, but more importantly, it's a question of expressivity. compare with rusty cooley (who seems to be a cool guy though) and it should be pretty obvious Wink

Mike M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree about Guthrie being a master of transmitting what he hears in his head to the fretboard really really quickly. You can almost see him thinking about what he is playing in the small little pauses in the bluesjamtracks videos.

Thanks Paolo_Angelo for the info about the sight reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: