Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - I have a question
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: I have a question Reply with quote

yes, I am a new member to this forum, and I suppose I can only hope for a warm welcome, but still I have a question. If a D7 chord means that you have the standard d chord but with a flatted 7th added onto it, then why doesn't a D5 mean a D with a flatted 5th?
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: I have a question Reply with quote

CaptainG wrote:
yes, I am a new member to this forum, and I suppose I can only hope for a warm welcome, but still I have a question. If a D7 chord means that you have the standard d chord but with a flatted 7th added onto it, then why doesn't a D5 mean a D with a flatted 5th?

That's actually a good question. A D7 is indeed a D chord with a flat 7 (D, F#, A, C) where the "7" is not the Maj7 as would be in a DMaj7 chord (D, F#, A, C#) In traditional theory, there is no such thing as a D5 chord. It's more of a slang term for a D power chord. Unless a chord specifically has a flat or augmented fifth implied, it it assumed the "5" will be a perfect fifth above the root (D, A). A D chord with a flatted fifth is referred to as Db5 or D#11 at it's simplest.

Unfortunately, rock guitar has generally taken many liberties with traditional notation. Hope this helps, and welcome!
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to how a sharpened fourth (11th \/\/ ) is a flat fifth.. surely the #11 is an addition to a dominant chord?

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're effectively the same note but with different names. A #11 is (strictly speaking)a sharp fourth and an octave above the root. For instance the b5 of C is Gb and the #11 is F#, and in Western music Gb and F# are the same note, so you could name the chord either way. I always find Db5 confusing - is it a D and Ab (root and b5 based on D) or Db and Ab ( root and 5th based on Db). My prefernce is to bracket the b5 so that you can identify the root easily eg D(b5) but as Kabuki says, rock notation is a little bastardised( look at the variety of ways different people and publishers notate harmonics and tapping!)

Cheers,
Alun
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a question Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
That's actually a good question. A D7 is indeed a D chord with a flat 7 (D, F#, A, C) where the "7" is not the Maj7 as would be in a DMaj7 chord (D, F#, A, C#)

"I" before "E" except after "C" and "A, E, I, O, U" and sometimes "Y"

That's the extent of my music knowledge Razz
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a question Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
kabuki wrote:
That's actually a good question. A D7 is indeed a D chord with a flat 7 (D, F#, A, C) where the "7" is not the Maj7 as would be in a DMaj7 chord (D, F#, A, C#)

"I" before "E" except after "C" and "A, E, I, O, U" and sometimes "Y"

That's the extent of my music knowledge Razz

And let's not forget your stash of N and R strings Mr. Green
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, as forum stuff goes, those posts are "Golden Oldies" for sure!

Still remember my wife asking me why the hell I kept giggling all the way home that day Laughing Laughing Laughing
kabuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:

Still remember my wife asking me why the hell I kept giggling all the way home that day Laughing Laughing Laughing

That one, the album cover thread, and the Brad Pitt in a dress all made me fall out of my chair Mr. Green

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Donnie, you should really try and learn some theory. Learning about chords and playing over them will change the way you look at improvisation (in some ways at least). You've got Creative Guitar 1 though don't you? Study the 'Scales & Chords' (or whatever it's called) chapter, there's bags o' material in there.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually know more than I let on. Also Kabuki has been imparting some excess wisdom my way too.
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression a lot of these guys know it, they just don't know they know it.

Perhaps it's like aural traditions, you can learn to orate without knowing what grammar is and isn't.

I'm the geek with the books, they're the chaps with the chops .. Confused (does that phrase travel across the pond?)

I have the power!
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey frankus, you just need to play more. No book is going to magically give you inspiration to practice. You need to look deep inside yourself and find whatever part of you compels you to play guitar and have a chat to it. Is guitar the right thing for it? Why's it there? Why's it want whatever it is that it wants?

This is more in reference to other posts I've read of yours that anything in this particular thread, and I'm aware that it might sound a little condescending, which isn't the intent. Just curious as to what your situation is.
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill® wrote:
Hey frankus, you just need to play more. No book is going to magically give you inspiration to practice. You need to look deep inside yourself and find whatever part of you compels you to play guitar and have a chat to it. Is guitar the right thing for it? Why's it there? Why's it want whatever it is that it wants?

This is more in reference to other posts I've read of yours that anything in this particular thread, and I'm aware that it might sound a little condescending, which isn't the intent. Just curious as to what your situation is.

I do need to play more. I need a job that isn't 2 hours away, so to-from and work don't occupy 12 hours.. I was toying with getting a travel guitar and annoying other commuters, but I seriously want a 335. I've told myself there are goals to be reached before I get the guitar, I working towards it and I'm happy with my progress.

I do find the Ted Greene books inspre me. They distract me, I can't finish a page and I'm putting the latest thing into practise. I'm a southpaw, we use our right hemisphere a lot, maths, logic and art all seem to sit on that side in harmony. Theory, feel, comedy sketches, books, shapes all kinda mix, sometimes a phrase from a theory book will stick and become the rhythm for a riff.. or I think how would I describe a black porcelain seagull using 5 notes and the tremolo...it's taken me the last ten years to work out how to retrieve stuff from my head I found a lot of fun broken stuff at the same time.

In the decades I've played my enthusiasm has waxed and waned and at times died. I've found the cure for losing all enthusiasm, change. I kinda long for the years when my teacher would berate me wearing my plectrums down in an unbalanced way..

I talk to the part of me that wants to play guitar, it's good natured and likes listening as much as it does speaking..

I have the power!
Dr Cannibal Nectar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
Donnie B. wrote:

That one, the album cover thread, and the Brad Pitt in a dress all made me fall out of my chair Mr. Green

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: