Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Right-Hand-Technique
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right-Hand-Technique
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuntNastyOven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righteous wrote:
Holding it with only the index and thumb also frees you up to tap with the middle and also hybrid pick. I used to hold with three fingers, but I switched to two and it was awkward for a little while until I learned how to not drop the pick. Trust me, it's worth it to change to two fingers.

yeh sometimes I feel like I would like to try to switch to 2 fingers and see how that goes but i play with a very hard pick and when i play with 2 fingers i can play single notes and solos fine but when it comes to chords my pick slides all over and nearly falls out of my fingers.
assfax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played without a pick for the last seven years. Using just nails like Lenny but without the thumbpick. Once I got the index thumb middle thing down, I've found no limitations. Not everybody wants to ditch the pick though. I couldn't even imagine string skipping with a pick now. If I really want the flatpick sound I use the index nail as the pick pushing it against my thumb for tension. Then a few years back I wanted to do a 4NPS chromatic scale and started using my ring finger in my ITM runs. The pinky isn't used for fast single-note runs but It's used for Chet/Lenny/DeGruy stuff. The biggest problem was for muting notes until I just practiced it until I got my angle just right. With distortion you gotta be in control cause y'ain't resting th' butt o' yer palm on the strings all the time. It can get noisy if you don't keep yer eye on it.
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one quick 2 pennies worth here....
Keeping your picking from your forarm instead of wrist is fine at warp speed doing fairly standard three or four note per string stuff, with practice you can get some obscure shapes down at speed, but when playing some scholfield style fusion stuff or other "widdly jazz" forget it, theres to much momentem to switch strings, try playing a root e major7th arp with your wrist solid!! you'll see what I mean.
Does'nt shaun baxter recomend using three fingers in a column on picking a while back??I think he did but am not sure. I know that using two fingers works as just about any well known picker(john mclaughlin, john petrucci, tmac etc) use 2 fingers. Also may I suggest the tortex picks for those prone to sweating like I do, i find that after a few mins my chip-fat oil soaked digits can't handle the "wonderfull slipperyness" of the plastic picks like the red jazzIII's.
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold a jazzIII pick with thumb and forefinger, have my little finger anchored and use circular picking while using my middle finger for extra bits.

When my technique feels right, I find I can't explain or work out how I'm doing it. I think what's happening is my left hand plays the scale notes in a rhythmic hammer on/off pattern while my right hand catches the accents in between as well as the notes in a percussive way. I rely heavily on the right hand accents to keep me in time during fast runs. It doesn't look as though I'm doing anything other than just holding my right hand over the strings and playing single notes. In fact I'm probably more or less scratching the strings in time!

I used to use fast shredder type arm movements but the inside of my elbow just started to hurt. I couldn't do it properly, it sounded awful and just didn't work for me.

Tony
Geetarro-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR ..you could just forget about picking from the wrist and pick from the ankle instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTPgM6iUE2o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: