Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Anybody Listen to the New John 5 Album?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody Listen to the New John 5 Album?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Anybody Listen to the New John 5 Album? Reply with quote

I see that he's on the cover on the latest issue of Guitar Player, which is no small feat. Is he and the album worthy of all this attention? Or is GP so desperate for more newstand sales that they have to put the ex-Marilyn Manson guitarist on its cover to compete with Guitar World and Guitar One?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Listen to the New John 5 Album? Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I see that he's on the cover on the latest issue of Guitar Player, which is no small feat. Is he and the album worthy of all this attention? Or is GP so desperate for more newstand sales that they have to put the ex-Marilyn Manson guitarist on its cover to compete with Guitar World and Guitar One?

I haven't heard it but I'm sure it's the latter. Recent covers have included "The Strokes", "White Stripes", "Zakk Wilde", and "Joe Satriani". Nothing noteworthy or earth shattering there. Based on all of the gushing Molenda has done within the mag though, if he was shooting for artistic worth over marketing the mag to the biggest demographic, "Kaki King" would have been one of the recent covers.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a joke! Rolling Eyes stopped reading gp ages ago. this guy couldn't tie guthrie's shoes. in fact, he couldn't tie the shoes of a lot of players out there. gp must indeed be quite desperate to feature someone on its cover that dresses and puts on makeup to look like a zombie. Rolling Eyes geez. they must be under some corporate gun. Laughing
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time gettin a handle on Johny 5, he's on the cover of this months guitarist magazine, the photos are all heavily stylized portraiture, him in gloves, him with guitars, him the dog and his wife, like a sitting for a dutch master...

At first I wasn't sure it was my deep dislike of Goth/Nu-metal (rather unfortunate as my wife and half my friends are tending that way).. then I thought it was envy about his charming wife (lots of candid piccies on t'interweb Wink).. then I thought it was just disgust at his slavish pursuit of image.. then I listened to the demo track on Guitarist.

There are some great parts in there, it sounds cool and there's a lot of technique in there. It's not what I'd call music per-se, just a Dance Mix of Hill of the Skull with gauche roccoco ornamentations that appear to a pleb like me to have no bearing on the piece. The acoustic part is really good and there's a technique that sounds like shred with intermittent harmonics that's really rhythmically tight.. I'd like a heads up on that.

I think the most fundamental difference between Johny 5 and Guthrie is that Johny 5 has actively sought to promote himself. I don't think Guthrie takes the music business that seriously.

I have the power!
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think John 5's Album is great and the Tremolo Picking on Track 7 is very FAST!!

Track 3 is great as well, the Riff to Fiesty Cadavers is Heavy!!

Yeah I think it's a great Album although it gets annoying when my friend keeps trying to say he is better than Guthrie!! Shocked Exclamation Mad

Greg
Steve Vai
Tom Morello
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feisty Cadavers is the one I was grumbling about Wink it was free on the Guitarist CD.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
I think John 5's Album is great and the Tremolo Picking on Track 7 is very FAST!!

Track 3 is great as well, the Riff to Fiesty Cadavers is Heavy!!

Yeah I think it's a great Album although it gets annoying when my friend keeps trying to say he is better than Guthrie!! Shocked Exclamation Mad

Greg

I'd better give this one a listen.

When your friend says that this guy is "better", "better" in what way? Question
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has never actually given any specifications, just taking the piss I suppose. Laughing
Steve Vai
Tom Morello
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a used copy off of Amazon. Better live up to the hype...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
bill®

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Ordered a used copy off of Amazon. Better live up to the hype...

Let us know what it's like Ed.
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gotta say...i was a little skeptical because of his recent past with manson**cringes** but after giving it a listen....i enjoyed his mix of chicken pickin and neo shred...a good album for a first solo project...nowhere near the status of guthrie though.

As for his look....can you blame the guy, he was with manson for years im sure some of mansons eccentric style rubbed off on him, it doesnt change his skill.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Got the Album... Reply with quote

Yeah, this guy is definitely a good player with well-rounded chops... But, I don't particularly care for his choice of notes in the lines he plays and a lot of the shred stuff sounds a bit generic. I like the country stuff he does more than the rock shred stuff. There's some personality in his country playing but not much in the rock/shred stuff. And I don't really care for his tone either. The guy is great technically but it's the type of chops that many others have. The thing about him is that he's got some quirky yet compelling ideas in his writing with a good mixture of modern sounds and the way he puts things together that makes it an interesting listen, but that's about all I could say about it. Some will like him a lot more than others. For me, it's alright but nothing all that special.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to get this one after hearing clips of his other album, Vertigo, but the other day I ordered it on a whim after listening to the new one at his website. The Albert Lee and Steve Vai appearances brought me there initially. He's pretty good, I like his country stuff more than the rock stuff but songs like Blues Balls are solid. There's a quirky nature to the album, isn't one song title a reference to Ed Gein, the lunatic killer of the 50s? He seems to be one of those guys you have to be in the mood for though, (he's perfect if you're in a country-metal frame of mind) anyway overall I enjoyed it, it surpassed my expectations.

Hey didn't John 5 watch Guthrie play at Namm?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
I wasn't going to get this one after hearing clips of his other album, Vertigo, but the other day I ordered it on a whim after listening to the new one at his website. The Albert Lee and Steve Vai appearances brought me there initially. He's pretty good, I like his country stuff more than the rock stuff but songs like Blues Balls are solid. There's a quirky nature to the album, isn't one song title a reference to Ed Gein, the lunatic killer of the 50s? He seems to be one of those guys you have to be in the mood for though, (he's perfect if you're in a country-metal frame of mind) anyway overall I enjoyed it, it surpassed my expectations.

I've given the Vertigo album a few more listens and I like it. He's a superb player - no doubt about it. The tunes themselves have grown on me. I may think about getting the new one.

I met John 5 at TM when he came over to check out the Guthrie show. He seemed impressed. He's also quite a nice guy - very soft-spoken, humble, and down-to-earth with a very easy-going demeanor. I wasn't expecting that from a guy of his stature and notoriety, so that was a pleasant surprise. Guthrie also commented about what a nice guy he is.

Well, if John 5 can help generate more interest out in the mainstream for the "many notes" type of guitar music, that's good for all of us, including Guthrie. You always want the nice guys to do well and I wish John 5 the best. He's a great player and a really nice guy. I bet Guthrie and John 5 could end up being good friends.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
treeduck wrote:

I've given the Vertigo album a few more listens and I like it. He's a superb player - no doubt about it. The tunes themselves have grown on me. I may think about getting the new one.

I met John 5 at TM when he came over to check out the Guthrie show. He seemed impressed. He's also quite a nice guy - very soft-spoken, humble, and down-to-earth with a very easy-going demeanor. I wasn't expecting that from a guy of his stature and notoriety, so that was a pleasant surprise. Guthrie also commented about what a nice guy he is.

Well, if John 5 can help generate more interest out in the mainstream for the "many notes" type of guitar music, that's good for all of us, including Guthrie. You always want the nice guys to do well and I wish John 5 the best. He's a great player and a really nice guy. I bet Guthrie and John 5 could end up being good friends.

Well if you like the first one Ed, then you'll obviously enjoy the new one hmmm I might end up with Vertigo too in the end too Laughing

I'm glad he's seems like a nice humble type of guy, maybe it's the Guthrie influence that you talked about a while back Ed... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: