Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - videos/books for learning Govan, Howe, Henderson, Romeo?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

videos/books for learning Govan, Howe, Henderson, Romeo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moffittjr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: videos/books for learning Govan, Howe, Henderson, Romeo? Reply with quote

I love players like Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, Scott Henderson, Shawn Lane and Michael Romeo.

What videos or books do you all recommend?

Right now I already have:

Guthrie Govan: cd, 1 dvd and both of his books
Greg Howe: lots of his music, his old reh instructional vhs, Gentle Hearts Tour DVD
Scott Henderson: lots of music, both his reh instructional videos

What other stuff is out there? I recently just discovered Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics book/cd which is GREAT!

What about the 2 Shawn Lane videos? Seems like they are only available on ebay for like $25 each. Are they worth it?

What other stuff do you guys use? Or what else would you all recommend?

Thanks guys!
markrobinson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got plenty to be getting on with. Very Happy The best thing you can do is use your ears and see if you can figure out what they're doing for yourself. If you do this enough you'll start to figure out why it sounds like it does and the influence will become much more a part of your playing.

True it's not the easy way, but the easiest way rarely reaps the best results.

Mark
cheeseshredder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Subject here Reply with quote

Like Mark said, ear training is most important, transcribing, relative pitch etc.

But, if you are looking for video material, I would recommend the Eric Johnson Toal electric guitar
And
an REH video by Albert Lee called Advanced Country Guitar which is also excellent.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think you need more books. transcribe! transcribe! transcribe! and then go back to hendersons stuff Wink

lane's videos are great entertainment. less great instruction. as is holdsworth's

Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I dig romeos stuff ALOT. type in 'the guitar chapter' on google videos and it will be there, a good chance to watch micheal do what he does best.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again: if you want to play like romeo, i dont think you need instruction material to benefit the most from learning that style. that kind of playing (and yes, i think romeo is a scary player) is actually pretty easy to figure out if you hace a decent ear and know your basics. it's just really hard to play! if one doesn't manage to transcribe it or figure it out, ear training is obviously an area one needs to work on anyway, which leads back to transcribing or picking out stuff by ear.

i never understood why u should pay for instruction material that basically tells you to play scales, arpeggios or chromatic excercises with a metronome. that stuff isn't rocket science. just hard work over long periods of time. you'll benefit more, imho, from figuring out your own (alternative) fingerings of minor arpeggios or whatever. well, assuming you're not a beginner but at least intermediate. if you don't know the basics, it's another story.

videos like scott henderson's are a different thing. scott's stuff is conceptual, and gives you ideas that you'll need to put into practice and develop. the superimposition stuff for instance will last forever. picking excercises or tapping arpeggios won't. (not that i don't like shreddy playing Wink )

for hands on, mechanic stuff and beyond, but with an always musical foundation, guthrie's books goes a loooong way.

btw: i guess frankus has a copy of wayne krantz's "an improvisers os" for sale Laughing but i don't think that's what you're looking for though Wink.

frankus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
tw: i guess frankus has a copy of wayne krantz's "an improvisers os" for sale Laughing but i don't think that's what you're looking for though Wink.

Nah Josh, has my copy and has done for about a year now.

I have the power!
Errock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

britney spears - i did it again

no ban plss
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sumis I see what your saying, and some of the others that transcribing your favourite players material etc is that way forwards and instructional DVDs are just giving you exercises etc. But still everytime I watch an Instructional DVD or video I learn something new. E.g before i saw the Romeo one I pretty much new it would have sections on string skipping-tapping techniques and picking techniques that I new inside out already, but still its nice to watch him comment on his playing, methods etc. You are right of course, there is no substitute for transcribing, still good fun to watch em though.
PS Word on the curb is that after SX finish paradise lost and probably there promotional tour, Romeo is gonna make a new DVD. I would like one on his Rhythm playing, that woud be interesting.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but guthrie wrote:
Yeah sumis I see what your saying, and some of the others that transcribing your favourite players material etc is that way forwards and instructional DVDs are just giving you exercises etc. But still everytime I watch an Instructional DVD or video I learn something new. E.g before i saw the Romeo one I pretty much new it would have sections on string skipping-tapping techniques and picking techniques that I new inside out already, but still its nice to watch him comment on his playing, methods etc. You are right of course, there is no substitute for transcribing, still good fun to watch em though.

yeah, i agree. there's always something to learn. and even though only 5% of the videos i've seen (and i've seen A LOT, since they started coming out in the 80s) have been high quality learning material, at least 90% of them have been good fun to watch. i mean, MAB did a pretty funny one Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: