Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Fellowship Video Clips are Up and Running!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellowship Video Clips are Up and Running!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Fellowship Video Clips are Up and Running! Reply with quote

For those of you who have the DVD, no big news. But for those who haven't seen this footage, these clips give you a good idea of what Guthrie can do in a jazzy format. Enjoy!

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_Clips_Fellowship.htm

There are also a few more clips from the TM clinic that didn't make the first set, so I added them here as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, after watching the clips, I've gotta get this!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to post the link to the clips wherever you see fit. I've already posted it on a bunch of other guitarists' forums whose fans may appreciate them.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Please feel free to post the link to the clips wherever you see fit. I've already posted it on a bunch of other guitarists' forums whose fans may appreciate them.
Will do! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want some interesting reading?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53031

This forum is notoriously anti-shred and I knew I was going to get some negative reactions here, but I posted the link to the clips and told them to diss or flame away if that's what they felt like doing. Well, it's all just subjective opinions anyway. I'm not trying to stir up trouble - just share these clips with people who may enjoy 'em. All good fun! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I wonder what all us guitar players did before we had all of these forums to vent in? Thanks Ed, some of that was pretty dang funny!
kabuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
Jeez, I wonder what all us guitar players did before we had all of these forums to vent in? Thanks Ed, some of that was pretty dang funny!

What do you mean? I'm offended. I'm outta here!

Mr. Green
bill®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some downright incredible guitar playing in these clips. He has so much facility and his musical vocabulary is so far-reaching that I think he makes the guitar seem like a toy more than anyone else I've ever seen play it...but by the same token, a lot of the solos are constructed a little haphazardly. I'm sure that, as Ed has already suggested, has more to do with the fact that it's a weekly gig than Guthrie's improvisatory talents. Anyway, can't wait to get my copy, seeing the whole band and hearing these solos in context should be much better.
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Felloship Dvd Arrived today, and I only say that Govan´s playing it´s amazing. He plays jazz/fusion but keeps his unique style, I mean that no matter what style he plays he sounds like....

GUTHRIE GOVAN

I think that this is one of the most difficult things for a player actually.

This Dvd is a must for every Guthrie Govan fans.
govango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching these clips over and over and I just don't get how good this guy is. It is just unbelievable. It makes me just want to give up playing guitar because I thought I was up to a good standard after playing and practising for 13 years and then I watch these clips and realise I need to practise harder and get a new pair of hands and learn theory and ................................... Crying or Very sad

Guthrie is no.1 guitar player in the world.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched Guthrie and Zak and Seth about once or twice a month for the last 18 months. There's no disputing that they're amazing players. I've never felt the need to compare their playing or musicality to my own; I've learnt from them all. Most guitarists I've taken along have blown a fuse and felt like turning their guitar to matchsticks, by about the 3rd song, they're grinning from ear to ear.

I heartily recommend talking to Guthrie when he does a clinic at Tone Merchants (if you're in the states) or visiting the Bassment (if you're in Europe) if I were to say anything it'd be this: it's art not sport: no finish lines, no first, second or last Wink. I reckon Guthrie hears from a lot of people feeling bad about their musical progress compared to his own, and he probably has an anecdotal tonic.

Really do check out a live performance, I see it as articulate friends chatting casually with articulation that few people have in everyday conversation. Part of the reason Guthrie gets to shine as he does, is because he's in excellent company, check out the rest of the band too.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it's easy for some to get discouraged about their own playing when seeing someone like Guthrie, especially since he covers so much musical ground so well, but I believe more are inspired to push themselves further and simply try to be the best that they can be. What more can you ask of yourself? If you play baseball or softball on the weekends, do you have to be a Barry Bonds? If you play pickup basketball, do you need to fly through the air like LeBaron James or Michael Jordan to feel good about your game? We all have our own unique things to offer in whatever we do.

It is interesting and kind of amusing to observe that some are intimidated or are jealous or are affected in some other negative ways when they see or hear Guthrie play (not in this forum). Why??? Rolling Eyes What's the point? Just enjoy his God-given talent for what it is - I'm sure that every one of us have certain talents that Guthrie doesn't possess. And whoever Guthrie speaks to, he speaks to you as an equal no matter what your level of guitar playing or what walk of life you're from. You quickly forget about him as a guitar player or a musician and realize that he's a down-to-earth nice guy who's just trying to get through life the best he can like you or me.

I can't say I've spent a lot of time with Guthrie, but I will say that I consider him a real nice and great human being and a friend first before an amazing guitar player and musician. He's an inspiration in life in general, not just in guitar playing and musicianship. We learn from his excellence in his art and craft and thus, enrich our own lives. Don't mean to get wishy-washy here and wax philosophical, but you get the drift... Wink

As far as Guthrie's playing and musicianship, you can tell that he's just played a lot with other great musicians whenever he could during his formative years. He jammed along with records and played out whenever he can with other good musicians instead of sitting in the bedroom playing exercises and scales to the clicks of a metronome. Many other great players have said this time and time again. You learn more from an hour of playing live with better musicians than yourself than weeks of practicing alone in your bedroom. I know that it's not always practical and a hard thing to arrange at times, but it seems that is the true secret in getting really, really good.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: