Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - An Overlooked Aspect of Guthrie's Playing: Sense of Time
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Overlooked Aspect of Guthrie's Playing: Sense of Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: An Overlooked Aspect of Guthrie's Playing: Sense of Time Reply with quote

Call it groove, pocket, time, swing and all these other musical slangs related to musical rhythm, but one of the most impressive and overlooked aspects of Guthrie's playing is his mastery over time. Be it a funk groove, jazzy swing, odd-meter convolution, or straight-ahead rock, Guthrie's sense of time is impeccable enough for him to also get "slippery" at will, playing ahead, behind and on top of the beat without blinking an eye.

I think that's what really blew people away (including myself) at the clinic here in January. I had seen him at the shop a few times before, but watching him play in a musical context (even if it was just backing tracks) made all the difference. As mentioned before, when I first saw Guthrie a year earlier at the shop just noodling around the shop, it was amazing but I kind of figured that there are more than a few chopsmeisters out there. It was the clinic that convinced me once and for all that he was a true all-around musician and his mastery over time and rhythm was probably the clincher.

He could groove and play in the pocket like very few other monster players I had ever seen or heard (Greg Howe being the standout example). Some people told me after the clinic that his sense of time was even more impressive than the staggering display of chops and/or the mastery over so many musical styles. At times, he seems to think and play more from the perspective of a drummer than a guitarist. His right hand can practically do snare rolls on the strings. Shocked Listening to Guthrie playing rhythm and comping is at times just as enjoyable as watching him play lines.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Guthrie do a solo at the Bassment early this year which was basically percussive use of the guitar and the wah-pedal.. it lasted minutes and had everyone captivated. In fact it might have been a warm up I can't recall it was a stark contrast from the previous solos I've seen him play.. just a tone envelope and percussive rhythm.. made my Ross Bolton Funk Rhythm Video look like Children's Hour.

Yeah, that is strange, man. Ratso Rizzo</Howard Kaylan>

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Saw Guthrie do a solo at the Bassment early this year which was basically percussive use of the guitar and the wah-pedal.. it lasted minutes and had everyone captivated. In fact it might have been a warm up I can't recall it was a stark contrast from the previous solos I've seen him play.. just a tone envelope and percussive rhythm.. made my Ross Bolton Funk Rhythm Video look like Children's Hour.

Yeah, that is strange, man. Ratso Rizzo</Howard Kaylan>

That must have been so cool. I've seen Guthrie do some really interesting percussive things on the guitar which, as you say, can be totally captivating. He loves variations in rhythm as much as harmony and melody lines. His comping work on the Fellowship DVD is as impressive as his lead playing as far as I'm concerned.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that Guthrie's sense of timing is among his major strengths. I've been working on several of his lessons and one of the most challenging aspects is nailing the timing. Many of the phrases start somewhere mid-beat, and are sprinkled with quirky, mid-phrase pauses and "stutters." The cool part of it is that it sounds completely natural when you listen to him play, and the oddities only become apparent when trying to reproduce his lines. I continue to be amazed.
Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: