Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

... has he? the one greg howe played in italy?

ed?

alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

ed?

Yes, that's the one. It originally had the DSH+ but I wanted Guthrie to try the SSH+ and Guthrie seems to like it a lot. He says it's been hard to tell the difference between the DSH+ and SSH+ because the two guitars sound so different. Yes, identical specs but they still sound and feel different because that's just how it is with woods. He loves both guitars and says they both have that immediate attack and brilliance which he favors but have slightly different tonal characteristics.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
sumis wrote:

ed?

Yes, that's the one. It originally had the DSH+ but I wanted Guthrie to try the SSH+ and Guthrie seems to like it a lot. He says it's been hard to tell the difference between the DSH+ and SSH+ because the two guitars sound so different. Yes, identical specs but they still sound and feel different because that's just how it is with woods. He loves both guitars and says they both have that immediate attack and brilliance which he favors but have slightly different tonal characteristics.

What are the main tonal differences between the D and the S, Ed?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
sumis wrote:

ed?

The D is a little smoother in the highs with a little more mids. The S has a little more cut and bottom. The S has a little more bark and sounds bigger. The D is a little sweeter on top and rounder.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

The D is a little smoother in the highs with a little more mids. The S has a little more cut and bottom. The S has a little more bark and sounds bigger. The D is a little sweeter on top and rounder.

Thanks Ed Very Happy . I wonder if this new tone is going to influence any musical choices?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Thanks Ed Very Happy . I wonder if this new tone is going to influence any musical choices?

Well, I'm sure Guthrie looks at it as another paint type of brush for his palette of sounds to be used on a canvas. We'll be building him more nice "paint brushes" for a long time to come. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Well, I'm sure Guthrie looks at it as another paint type of brush for his palette of sounds to be used on a canvas. We'll be building him more nice "paint brushes" for a long time to come. Wink

That's one hell of an expensive paint brush!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: so guthrie's got a new copy of #1, with a ssh+ ... Reply with quote

That's one hell of an expensive paint brush!

Yeah, but when you consider what a violin bow for a Stradivarius goes for, it's still one hell of a bargain! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz rosewood and the quilt top should make a pretty bright instrument, shouldn't it? i know this is originally more or less the 'ed yoon signature guitar' Wink why did u go with braz roesewood (apart from the mojo and coolness), and doesn't the ssh+ in this guitar (u have the dsh+ i believe) make it REALLY high endy?

well, the clips with the hellcat sounds ... nice Wink

just speculating, since it's inevitable that i'll get a #2 'sumis signature' for myself one of these days ... months ... dammit: years!

alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
braz rosewood and the quilt top should make a pretty bright instrument, shouldn't it? i know this is originally more or less the 'ed yoon signature guitar' Wink why did u go with braz roesewood (apart from the mojo and coolness), and doesn't the ssh+ in this guitar (u have the dsh+ i believe) make it REALLY high endy?

just speculating, since it's inevitable that i'll get a #2 'sumis signature' for myself one of these days ... months ... dammit: years!

It's bright but bright in a very nice way. "Brilliant" is how I'd describe it. Wink The Quilt Maple top extends the range of the Basswood body which has a good amount of lows and mids. The Maple neck has the tight high-mids and Brazilian Rosewood has the presence and is strong in the mids (lower and mid-midrange). It covers a broader tonal spectrum (more lows and highs) than his number one Mahogany SB Standard. Guthrie prefers the Mahogany for cutting through a dense mix in a rock setting and likes his Root Beer and this new Lager for the blues/jazz/fusion kinds of stuff. This guitar is brilliant and tight but still has a wide frequency range with some "give" in the mids (provided by the soft Basswood). The SSH+ extends the range (with more lows and high-mids than the DSH+) and makes the guitar sound big without losing focus. It's an unforgiving guitar but that's how Guthrie likes it. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
sumis wrote:

It's bright but bright in a very nice way. "Brilliant" is how I'd describe it. Wink The Quilt Maple top extends the range of the Basswood body which has a good amount of lows and mids. The Maple neck has the tight high-mids and Brazilian Rosewood has the presence and is strong in the mids (lower and mid-midrange). It covers a broader tonal spectrum (more lows and highs) than his number one Mahogany SB Standard. Guthrie prefers the Mahogany for cutting through a dense mix in a rock setting and likes his Root Beer and this new Lager for the blues/jazz/fusion kinds of stuff. This guitar is brilliant and tight but still has a wide frequency range with some "give" in the mids (provided by the soft Basswood). The SSH+ extends the range (with more lows and high-mids than the DSH+) and makes the guitar sound big without losing focus. It's an unforgiving guitar but that's how Guthrie likes it. Very Happy

So basically, he's got Root Beer, Lager, and Real Ale (mahogany Standard) now, eh Wink ? What's the Classic - white wine spritzer Laughing ?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, he's got Root Beer, Lager, and Real Ale (mahogany Standard) now, eh Wink ? What's the Classic - white wine spritzer Laughing ?

Ah, and don't forget the country lemonade mixed with some rum (Classic T)! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

I have a Basswood maple topped standard, maple neck, Brazilian board, SSH+ in the bridge. I don't find it bright at all, it's actually less bright than many of my other guitars. If anything, it's really smooth and balanced almost hi-fi like as it seems to cover all of the frequencies evenly. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first as it was very different than the Mahogany/Mahogany and alder Suhrs that I have, but it's quickly become a favorite.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tak wrote:
I have a Basswood maple topped standard, maple neck, Brazilian board, SSH+ in the bridge. I don't find it bright at all, it's actually less bright than many of my other guitars. If anything, it's really smooth and balanced almost hi-fi like as it seems to cover all of the frequencies evenly. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first as it was very different than the Mahogany/Mahogany and alder Suhrs that I have, but it's quickly become a favorite.

Cool! I've become more and more geared to traditional strat styles w/ somewhat modern twists, and the suhr I got is pretty much perfect for my styles of playing. but one axe doesn't do it all, and I'd be very interested in checking out at mahogany/mahogany strat as well. I sometimes miss the fat, woody midrangy classic humbucker rock'n'roll sound. But Guthrie always sounds very 'woody', regardless of gear it seems ...

Tak, how would you describe your mahogany suhr?

tak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
tak wrote:

Cool! I've become more and more geared to traditional strat styles w/ somewhat modern twists, and the suhr I got is pretty much perfect for my styles of playing. but one axe doesn't do it all, and I'd be very interested in checking out at mahogany/mahogany strat as well. I sometimes miss the fat, woody midrangy classic humbucker rock'n'roll sound. But Guthrie always sounds very 'woody', regardless of gear it seems ...

Tak, how would you describe your mahogany suhr?

I really like the Mahogany/Mahogany/Brazillian too. I've been playing the Basswood guitar so much lately that I'm not sure which one I like better - I'm not sure one or the other is "better", they're just different. The Mahogany guitar is very "woody". At first, I thought it was dark sounding. It's very mid-heavy which lends to the dark perception, but I found that I just had to re-eq my amps from what I was accustomed to. That pretty much fixed any issues. It probably would be a bit muddy on the low strings with tons of gain, but I don't play with a really high gain / distorted sound. Mine has the DSH+ in the bridge, which I think is a somewhat mid focused pickup. It sounds really good, but I'm curious how an SSV (I think that's the more vintage PAF model) would sound.

I really want to try a Basswood and 1 pc maple neck Standard now. I've never been a huge fan of maple necks but I've got a feeling that this combinations of wood in a Suhr would sound fantastic. I love the way they look too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: