Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Just snagged a Hellcat
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just snagged a Hellcat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Just snagged a Hellcat Reply with quote

Having played the Cornford practically every time I go into the music shop locally that stocks it, I know that the tone is just to die for. Yesterday, I was in the kind of mood ready to just order that damned box I've been craving for so long, spotted a great deal on eBay and just went for it! I'll be picking it up next Tuesday, plan on running it through a THD 2x12. Really pleased about this!

Any users got settings/tips?

Tom
cheeseshredder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Check this out, er, I mean Checketh thisith outith:
Ye old hyper-linkth
http://www.online-discussion.com/Cornfordamps/index.php?sid=30e4d148a31bf18f92c9ef3c320e1d7e

Also a link at the top of this site under the tone menu.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some questions on Guthrie's use of the Hellcat:

Which input does he use? Whereabouts is the gain set?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here and you'll see the settings. This is from the TM gigs in Jan 05.

http://www.dhenderson.com/PhpImages/details.php?image_id=410

Yeah, he plays with a lot of gain on the "Modern" channel, but when he plays, it doesn't sound like he's got a lot of gain on the amp and, as you know, the Hellcat has mondo amounts of gain. Confused I was surprised when I saw his amp settings. Granted, he does vary the volume pot on his guitars a lot for different levels of dirt and also his right-hand attack as well. The Hellcat does clean up vary nicely when you back off on the volume pot and vary the picking attack.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

http://www.dhenderson.com/PhpImages/details.php?image_id=410

Yeah, he plays with a lot of gain on the "Modern" channel, but when he plays, it doesn't sound like he's got a lot of gain on the amp and, as you know, the Hellcat has mondo amounts of gain. Confused I was surprised when I saw his amp settings. Granted, he does vary the volume pot on his guitars a lot for different levels of dirt and also his right-hand attack as well. The Hellcat does clean up vary nicely when you back off on the volume pot and vary the picking attack.

Ed, you're a king among men. Remind me to buy you a beer or six on my American adventures next year.

That IS a lot of gain, and you're right it doesn't sound like a lot of gain AT ALL. When I was trying to dial in a similar tone earlier, I only had the gain at about 10/11 o'clock. Hmm - methinks a foul plot is arising.
jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Hey Ed,

Interesting picture. I notice that Guthrie has no reverb dialled in on the amp there. Is there a reason for this? Is he using a seperate reverb pedal, or is he playing dry?

Cheers,
Jordan.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Hey Ed,

Interesting picture. I notice that Guthrie has no reverb dialled in on the amp there. Is there a reason for this? Is he using a seperate reverb pedal, or is he playing dry?

Cheers,
Jordan.

Guthrie rarely uses reverb. He'll use a delay pedal that he'll kick in every now and then during slower lead passages, but other than that, he likes to keep it fairly dry except when he uses certain effects for textural use (the Mooger Fooger, chorus for clean sounds, the MojoVibe for the Jimi UniVibe sort of sound, etc.). He doesn't like reverb and delay sounds interfering with his fast runs. It can get messy if you don't use time-delay effects sparingly. Personally, I don't like reverb at all except to get certain classic Fender spring reverb sounds.

Here's another pic of the Hellcat setting from last night's GPS CD release party gig in Burbank, CA:

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just snagged a Hellcat Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
Having played the Cornford practically every time I go into the music shop locally that stocks it, I know that the tone is just to die for. Yesterday, I was in the kind of mood ready to just order that damned box I've been craving for so long, spotted a great deal on eBay and just went for it! I'll be picking it up next Tuesday, plan on running it through a THD 2x12. Really pleased about this!

Tom

You have Switch Blade & HellCat Tom?

Corr some people have all the luck.lol
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Just snagged a Hellcat Reply with quote

FRETPICK wrote:
thelordofcheesecake wrote:

Tom

You have Switch Blade & HellCat Tom?

Corr some people have all the luck.lol

Very Happy - let's not forget the Marshall MS-4 ministack as well! Hahaha, that little thing rules. Oh yeah - the Hellcat's alright too Wink .
Ud Reks

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's speaker cabs? Reply with quote

Hi, i don't know if this is the appropriate place for this. But I bought a Hellcat, largely inspired by Govan, and I was wondering what speakers he uses.

Maybe I should open this to other Cornford users. I know Cornfords and specifically the Hellcat is voiced for v30s, but I was wondering if anyone uses other speakers with them. I'm interested in Alnico speakers specifically.

Thanks
M@

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I just splashed out for a Carrera and it should be ready in about 4-6 weeks direct from Whitstable UK!

The cost of shipping to Hong Kong is just crazy for stuff like big amps and cabs, but I just don't have a choice if I want to get quality gear Sad Sad

Sir "thelordofcheesecake", how's your THD 2x12 ??? I was enquiring with Ed DeGenaro at THD, and the cost for shipping made my jaw hit the ground...

Would just LOVE a Hellcat, but again shipping is crazy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying to squeeze some Guthrie-esque tones from the Carrera Smile See how she goes, but regardless I'm sure I'll have hours of fun!

BTW - The Cornford Online Discussion Links don't seem to work for me! Is the Cornford Discussion up and running or is just me???

Cheers
M@
gadget

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Well... I just splashed out for a Carrera... BTW - The Cornford Online Discussion Links don't seem to work for me! Is the Cornford Discussion up and running or is just me???

Glad to see the guys sorted you out M@ Smile

Yes, the forum has been down for a couple of weeks now. Presumably it's intentional, given all these others are working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: