Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use our link to buy!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1860744621/theonlinedisc-21/202-6401249-1782244

It helps support this board!

Thanks!
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my sincerest apologies. Kill my post please.
jordan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post here, so hi guys!

Couldn't agree more with what you guys are saying - both of the books are first class tuition material, to the point where I suggest the to all of my students.

I was lucky enough to meet Guthrie over here in the UK last year where he was on the Cornford stand at a Music Live event - I was watching him noodle away and it just seemed annoyingly effortless. A true master of the guitar. The work he does in Guitar Techniques every month is of the highest quality.
GuitarFred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the books last week. With a little luck I might get them today Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great books! I recently got my copies. They're definitely a must for all Guthrie fans.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I know this is an old post, but I gotta chime in. First, let me say that I have a LOT of guitar technique, theory, and instruction books. I've plowed my way through some of them all the way, and I've "high-graded" material from others. But about a month ago I ordered both "Creative Guitar" books and these are something special. Besides having the best writing of any guitar books I've ever seen, and the best proofing/editing (a rarity in music texts, which are typically sprinkled with all manner of weird typos), they cover more ground than any other books around. Really comphrehensive. -- whatever advance technique you're focusing on at the moment (modal theory, alternate picking, sweep picking...) can probably be found in here. There are also lots of great suggestions for inspiration from other master players, of all instruments. Is there any genre Guthrie hasn't tapped into?

And here's another unique aspect of the books: When you first skim through them (especially Book 1), you might think that there's too much text, and not enough wriiten music. But then you dig into a chapter and realize how absolutely essential the text is. It is crafted so well and is so entertaining that you can sit down at lunch, read through a section, and come away with some new realizations about how to approach improvisation or a tricky technique-- without ever having picked up the guitar! This is important to me because most of the day, I'm away from my instrument but I still want to do some cerebral "practicing" whenever I have a break.

OK, you get the idea. Now everybody go buy 'em using the link kirk95 provided (which, incidentally, I didn't know about when I ordered them --- oops)
Bert
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, agreed.. I sometimes wonder if Guthrie got that idea from the Tommy Tedescoe Book, that's just as chatty.. but due to it's limited release is worth a couple of hundred quid these days Rolling Eyes

I have the power!
sj_sparks

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Creative Guitar 1 & 2 Reply with quote

These 2 books have to rate as great value, I find myself going back to them over and over again.
James W

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: First Book Reply with quote

Is the first book worth getting even if you consider your self to be beyond the basics?

J
sj_sparks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both books are well worth buying, I have gone back to both and read them several times - there is a wealth of useful tips which enhance your understanding of the instrument and music. As you progress as a player the depth of information becomes more apparent.
M@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just my personal opinion, but I think the first book is rather basic (but I believe that is the best approach to take considering the subject matter), however Guthrie is FANTASTIC communicator and the book is definitely well worth the read. If you are teaching guitar, then this book would be invaluable to recommend to students.

I will wait until book two appears in my local music store so I can browse through it first before dispensing my cash, although from what others have said here on the forum, book two sounds like a winner...

BTW, here are some recent books I have purchased which have impressed me immensly:

"Sheets of Sound for Guitar" by Jack Zucker - so far this has dramatically improved my Economy Picking, and seems to have an endless supply of excellent exercises that are very digestible and instantly applicable.

"The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising" by Jon Damian - the writing style of this book is refreshingly inspirational and is very similar to Guthrie. This book contains tonnes of cool ideas/concepts and exercises to take you beyond the mere mechanics of playing and into the realm of creativity. Reminds me a bit of "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick.

I must own most of the great guitar books out there from George Van Eps, William Leavitt etc, etc, and the above two books are definitely in that league.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: