Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie is Guthrie and No One Else
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie is Guthrie and No One Else

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Guthrie is Guthrie and No One Else Reply with quote

We Guthrie fans (old and new) tend to get a little carried away by Guthrie's insane versatility. Yes, he can mimic other players in an uncanny manner and he does so many things so well. But, we need to be realistic: Guthrie's not going to do what Holdsworth does as well as Allan does. Or what Yngwie does. Or what Brent Mason or Scotty Anderson does. Or what Pat Metheny or George Benson does. And on and on... Guthrie has absorbed many, many great players and the influences of such players have certainly left their imprint in Guthrie's style and music, but it's not fair to say Guthrie does what all these players do (or have done) better than they do.

I think Guthrie gets a little embarrassed and feels like he's being put on the spot when people ask him to do some Brent Mason licks or play jazz like Metheny or fusion like Scott Henderson or Holdsworth, etc. Guthrie simply does what he does in his own inimitable way. The way I see it, Guthrie is synthesizing all of the genres, styles, and techniques into a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Sure, he can be one of those jack-of-all-trades studio kind of cat, but I'm quite certain Guthrie would rather be himself playing a very identifiable style wholly his own.

I know I prefer Guthrie going in this direction of just being himself. Yeah, even I get tempted sometime and want to ask him to play something that someone else would play. I'm sure people ask him all the time to mimic a bunch of other players - licks that everyone knows. Yeah, it's fun to see him play "Flight of the Bumblebee" and things like that, but is it really him? The one thing I've noticed over the years is that his style is becoming more and more individualistic. It's more coherent than just a bunch of styles and techniques mish-mashed together. There's more spontaneity in the way he segues from one technique or style to another. It's been a very interesting thing to observe and I'm sure it'll continue to be so. It's still a work in progress, but that's what makes Guthrie such a fascinating player and artist to follow.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I think the time in GT has meant that Guthrie has had to perform covers or pastiches of other guitarists, both he and Jamie Humphries became victims of it's success.

I think in a lot of ways people asking Guhrie to play like _____, is really part of that tab culture thing I really don't like. He understands the principals of the music being played and how notes are elicited from the guitar, of course he can play like ______ . These people will happily believe that Guthrie then slavishly copied each and every lick _____ ever played and that's how he can play like him and that's why he's a good guitarist.

In terms of wrongness I thing it's summed up in Return of Shoogagoogagunga by Z:

Dude, who's this Jeff Beck guy you keep going on about?

Dude, Eddie Van Halen taught Jeff Beck everything he knows.

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
In terms of wrongness I thing it's summed up in Return of Shoogagoogagunga by Z:

Dude, who's this Jeff Beck guy you keep going on about?

Dude, Eddie Van Halen taught Jeff Beck everything he knows.

Laughing

that track sums up many things imo. glad to see it referenced. great fun album.

Delicato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word
JP7stringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been one to compare guitar players, nor say he is better than him, and so on. To me playing guitar and playing it well is all about expression...so I love and listen to say Gilmour, who expresses himself in his way, and on the other hand I could listen to and love Petrucci who expresses himself in his way. Two very distinct and different styles, yet both are expressions of oneself. People often get discouraged because they can't 'shred', but I tell them it's not the quantity, but the quality that speaks, just as long as you are honest and sincere in what you play...and this is what I hear when I listen to Guthrie. I know Guthrie can shred, slide, finger pick, tap and what not, and I also know that Guthrie is well known, for his ability to play like others...however, when I listen to Guthrie, I hear Guthrie, and only Guthrie. Someone posted an interesting comment on a YOUTUBE video of Guthrie's playing, I can't remember exactly what was said, but the comment did make mention of "the next big thing". Guthrie's playing is moves me, and he is quickly becoming my all time fav! I want more dammit!
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I listen to his stuff the more of 'his' playing I hear.

I know I'm in the minority here but the first solo in waves doesn't really do it for me at all, whereas other stuff in particular the whole of Fives is just spot on for my taste, every single note.

I absolutely love what he has done with EC because it really made my ears prick up, but I prefer the actual sound of his guitar tone and playing on the new youtube clips, that is real pure Guthrie to me, just genius.

I've pointed a few players I know at those clips and they were all hugely impressed, just hope they go and buy the EC CD now like I told them to Wink

Tony
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711UK wrote:
I absolutely love what he has done with EC because it really made my ears prick up, but I prefer the actual sound of his guitar tone and playing on the new youtube clips, that is real pure Guthrie to me, just genius.

I heartily concur on this one! I've always preferred the "live" GG tone to what's on Erotic Cakes - not saying EC is bad for tone, just that I prefer what I'm hearing on the vids.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that some of the guitar sounds on 'EC' are on the hi-fi side. I still think they're organic but a little more "processed" sounding than his live tones due to the overdubs and other studio treatments. The funny thing is that the last time I saw Guthrie live at TM his guitar sounded more like the studio recording and he was using less effects than ever before.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP7stringer wrote:
I've never been one to compare guitar players, nor say he is better than him, and so on. To me playing guitar and playing it well is all about expression...so I love and listen to say Gilmour, who expresses himself in his way, and on the other hand I could listen to and love Petrucci who expresses himself in his way. Two very distinct and different styles, yet both are expressions of oneself. People often get discouraged because they can't 'shred', but I tell them it's not the quantity, but the quality that speaks, just as long as you are honest and sincere in what you play...and this is what I hear when I listen to Guthrie. I know Guthrie can shred, slide, finger pick, tap and what not, and I also know that Guthrie is well known, for his ability to play like others...however, when I listen to Guthrie, I hear Guthrie, and only Guthrie. Someone posted an interesting comment on a YOUTUBE video of Guthrie's playing, I can't remember exactly what was said, but the comment did make mention of "the next big thing". Guthrie's playing is moves me, and he is quickly becoming my all time fav! I want more dammit!

I hear ya! As for "the next big thing" comment, you and I and others here certainly see it that way although it's impossible to define what that "thing" is. It doesn't guarantee mass appeal success - perhaps a legacy of Holdsworth and Lane type of stature after enough years and album releases... Who knows? The future is just the great unknown. We'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
JP7stringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the only thing I do know is, most people that I have shown or referred them to Guthrie's material, came back with positive feedback. I know there are often some guitar players that some people really like, while others feel may be too heavy, or too shreddy,(for example people who are fans of blues guitarist may not be so welcoming to shredders like Lane) but Guthrie seems to fit right smack in the middle. I have friends who are die hard metal fans, and friends who are more blues/southern fried influenced and both sides flipped when they heard Guthrie...in fact I think it's like he's creating his own genre if you will...hey can we come up with a name for this new style of guitar.. Laughing
No but seriously, what's not too like about Guthrie...wait if I had to pick, say under a hot lamp, with toothpicks under my finger nails I would say NOT ENOUGH GUTHRIE!!!!!I WANT MORE GUTHRIE. For example Wonderful Slippery Thang, man why does Guthrie have to tease me like that in this song? WHY?
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP7stringer wrote:

hey about that youTube comment as 'the next big thing' that was posted by me... Laughing LOL! .. anyway what i was referring to "thing" was the kind of genre per se of guitar instrumental that he's playing, not just that but its more like the music he's creating..it's just out of this world and ..aaarrggh!!Madi couldn't be bothered finding the right term that could be usable as a description of what Guthrie's doing so i just felt that Guthrie's gonna be the next big thing (doesn't matter if that's commercially or what not..coz he already is becoming a legend to me..he just surpassed everything i wanted from a virtuoso -- he's more than just a virtuoso)!!!! .. Shocked ... like i said he's overwhelming and totally inspiring..it's like just when everyone thought everything's been done with the guitar music THEN... JAW DROPPED Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ........................................................................(silence) ...............................................................................................................(walked back to the room and start studying and practicing guitar) .............................................................................................................................................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: