Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie and Neutrik plugs
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie and Neutrik plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidtension

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Guthrie and Neutrik plugs Reply with quote

This is sort of a minor detail, but I've noticed in several pictures that Guthrie sometimes uses cables with Neutrik plugs. Anyone know if that is by accident or intention? Does he use cables that just happen to have them, or does he swap out the standard plugs?

Those plugs are built like a tank! I've been using them for a few years now and would never use anything else.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes he uses the high-end Evidence Audio cables and they have the Neutrik plugs. Yeah, it's good stuff! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks. Dang, those cables are expensive! I wish my wallet was big enough for cabling like that. One of these days...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people roll their eyes when it comes to boutique cables, but there is a noticeable difference. I tried a bunch when I was running the Tone Merchants shop. It's subtle when compared to comparing other pieces of gear like guitars, amps, pedals, etc., but once you have those things nailed down, you may as well try to get the best out of 'em with good cables.

Some cables accentuate the highs, some have more lows, some seem to be very flat and even in frequency response, etc. When you sit down in front of an amp with one guitar and try a bunch of different cables, you'll hear all these things fairly easily. I like the Evidence Audio cables because they're very clear without being too hi-fi or sterile. You hear every little detail of what's coming out of the guitar (or the amp with their speaker cable) but the highs are still sweet, the mids are transparent and the lows are defined with good balance between all the frequencies.

Guthrie seems to like the EA cables and he's often seen using them, but I don't think he sees 'em as indispensable when he goes out to gigs.

BTW, David Gilmour wired his entire rig with the EA cables. Considering how big his rig is, the cabling and labor must have cost as much as a Suhr or a Cornford! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
amber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info about the cables,Alex!
Thanks so much!

So which model is the best to you?
Lyric HG?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amber wrote:
Great info about the cables,Alex!
Thanks so much!

So which model is the best to you?
Lyric HG?

Yes, the Lyric HG.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt the difference in the cabling. I originally wired my setup with budget cable and noticed a big difference when I switched to mid-grade (compared to EA) quality cabling.

If I plugged directly into an amp from the guitar, it might be an affordable option. Problem is, I run into a preamp (Mesa Recto Recording Preamp...I know a lot of guys on here would probably gag over that, but I really enjoy it), out to a processor, etc. So, I'd have to buy a handful of those to avoid the "weakest link" cable undo it all. Gosh, how bad is it to get g.a.s. over stuff like cables?!?

What's Guthrie use to link his pedals? I noticed the plugs looked more like Switchcraft, so I assume those aren't EA cables.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investing in high-end cables to wire up your entire rig is rather expensive. I'd recommend just starting out with one main cable from the instrument. You're still going to get the best possible signal out of the guitar which would be an improvement over what you've got now. Quality of the signal won't degrade as it flows through the chain. You can improve it piece by piece as you see fit and if you think it's worth the cost of the upgrade. I think there are diminishing returns as you replace each little cable in between the pedals. Some guys would have two high-end instrument cables - one from the guitar to the pedalboard and one from the pedalboard to the amp - and a good speaker cable from the amp to the cabinet. Adding anymore would have to be considered a luxury where the "improvement" would be increasingly imperceptible.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: