Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Record deal in US?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record deal in US?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Record deal in US? Reply with quote

Anyone have any info on the chance of Guthrie's record being licensed to a US label? I am a pro guitarist and think Guthrie is one of the best players I have ever seen. Unfortunately he signed this deal with Cornford Records and he will NEVER get the exposure he needs with that. He should have waited and gotten a deal with Favored Nations or something at least. Nobody I know is going to order records online at $25 each - that is silly, and with it not being on itunes or anything it is really can't be found here and that is limiting the exposure. Hopefully the label he is on is working to get him in the hands of someone who can really help. That is the only way a G3 type of thing can happen - at least over here in the states (if he wants that sort of thing).

gtr
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We understand your frustrations, but let's give it some time. It's a very difficult market for guitar virtuoso music right now and there are signs it will get better, but I think we need to just wait and see how things develop. Remember that Satriani and EJ didn't exactly take the guitar world by storm with their debut albums. Compared to some other unknown great players out there toiling away in obscurity, Guthrie is practically a "star". I believe that it's going to be a gradual process to get his name out there.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cass679

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we certainly share some of your frustrations in the lack of exposure that GG has been getting, I'm with Ed on this one. I glad that he's with Cornford for that matter, because i wouldn't be able to buy his CD in the first place.

It certainly sounds like a good idea to have a US distribution deal for Guthrie, but i don't see this happening, because there aren't many companies willing to take a chance on someone who is only known throughout the internet guitar community at the minute. Sure, this may change, but at the minute, i'm glad that there actually is the oppertunity to buy any of GG's material thanks in part to Paul Cornford and Tone Merchants. Smile

Last edited by Cass679 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool we've not had this discussion here... for ... ooh a week? Laughing

Thinking about this I think Zappa got by alright without a major record label. In fact, I seem to recall him being adamant that the worst thing an artist can do is hand over their works to a record company.

I don't know what Guthrie's plan is, but I think he's seen enough of the industry to have a plan of how he'll get to where he wants to be, we'll have to wait and see.

I have the power!

Last edited by frankus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
gtr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought it would be nice to be able to buy his CDs in the states and wanted to know if that was in the works. And I would imagine he WOULD like to tour the US with G3 - he obviously didn't do the ASIA thing to be able to express his artistic side - so a US tour like that would be not only good for exposure but some $ as well.

Anyway, I'll look elsewhere for info.

gtr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: