Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Can anyone play Wonderful Slippery Thing?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone play Wonderful Slippery Thing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenR1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Can anyone play Wonderful Slippery Thing? Reply with quote

I'm just curious if anyone has recorded their own version of WST (video and/or audio). I saw the youtube version by "harada0119" posted last summer and to date, he's the only one brave enough to post an attempt on youtube. He even does the tapping licks (first one, maybe not so "successful", but he pretty much nails the last one).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTeCfKw-vio

For me, those tapping licks are pretty near impossible to play at speed, or even at half speed -- I suck at tapping Sad
So, for those of you out there that play WST without the tapping licks, what are you playing instead of the tapping?

as an aside...
I'm not even sure Guthrie plays the first tapping lick in his live set anymore, since getting the Suhr with 21 frets. At the Tone Merchants show this past January (yes I was lucky enough to be in attendance), he just played some silly bent note instead of the impossible lick. So aside, from the "silly bent note," any other ideas?
loiking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like you havent really nailed that lick, so i tend to do a sliding Diminished chord or a whammy bar squeal.
phil_b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive performed it with my band and have it on video so as soon as i can work out how to change a VOB file into something i can put on Youtube i will let you all see. If anyone has any ideas on how to change it i would love the advice
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been more successuful playing WITH my wonderful slippery thing ...

thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

Rolling Eyes
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
sumis wrote:

Rolling Eyes

if u only knew ... Laughing
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by this thread I dug out the transcrition last night and gave it a go. Certain parts of it are simply un-playable, but I had a good crack at the main body of the tune.

For me, "that lick" really isn't the highlight of the tune. I much prefer the sections where the dirty-riff-groove kicks in - there's some excellent phrasing and note choice in there - and the sextuplet runs that typically lead out of those sections are great (if not a little hard to play at full tempo!).

If anything, I've gained new respect for the tune having sat with the transcription for some time. My favourite part of the whole tune is the octave/chord fragments played when it slows down - the voicings there are great.
RavenR1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil_b wrote:
ive performed it with my band and have it on video so as soon as i can work out how to change a VOB file into something i can put on Youtube i will let you all see. If anyone has any ideas on how to change it i would love the advice

I'd be interested in seeing the vid.

What video editing software do you have?

For youtube compatible file, I export out of Adobe Premiere Pro with these settings:
Video - MPEG-1, 29.97 frames non-drop, NTSC, 320x240, square pixels, progressive field order
Audio - 48khz, 16bit stereo, constant bit rate, MPEG Layer 2
RavenR1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Inspired by this thread I dug out the transcrition last night and gave it a go. Certain parts of it are simply un-playable, but I had a good crack at the main body of the tune.

For me, "that lick" really isn't the highlight of the tune. I much prefer the sections where the dirty-riff-groove kicks in - there's some excellent phrasing and note choice in there - and the sextuplet runs that typically lead out of those sections are great (if not a little hard to play at full tempo!).

If anything, I've gained new respect for the tune having sat with the transcription for some time. My favourite part of the whole tune is the octave/chord fragments played when it slows down - the voicings there are great.

I agree, "those licks" are just so unplayable (for me, at least) that I don't attempt them. But I have yet to come up with anything that sounds right in their place. What better place than the GG forum to get some suggestions.

I will say that yesterday, I sort of stumbled upon a substitute for the last lick, sort of a pentatonic blues thing that mimics the tapping lick. I haven't worked it out up to speed yet but it doesn't sound too bad. But for the first lick, I got nuttin'.

And there are some other "tongue twisters" in there that I always have to fudge or slop through -- for reference, the sextuplets at measure 11 of 2BKing's transcription of the GT Magazine and also the sextuplets at measure 66. The part at measure 11, I just haven't had the patience to sit down and count it out and practice it enough. The part at 66, it's just a bitch to play it clean.

This weekend, I may record my current version just for the record...and as an offering to the guitar gods...

maybe they'll grant me some much needed speed, accuracy, and talent. Rolling Eyes
phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RavenR1 do you know if i can download a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro from the internet?
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

I can play it all the way through fairly flawlessly once Im warmed up, I have an audio recording and a video one of me doing it as I did it asone of my AS-level performences, did that and scarified and got 1 mark of full marks, Ill post them once I have worked out how. My friend came up with a tune with a really catchy main melody that is a little reminiscent of WST, so he called it awfully slobbery Dong!! comedy. I want to hear people play other guthrie songs aswell, like sevens, particularly if you di it with a complete band, that would be sweet. I saw guthrie play a guthrie song once, it was quite close to the original.
RavenR1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah Reply with quote

Yeah but guthrie wrote:
...Ill post them once I have worked out how...

Looking forward to those. (and congrats on your performance!)
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: WST Reply with quote

Cheers bud!!
lucky13sp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the song for a few days now and I can play most of it aside from insane sextuplets and one of the tapping licks.

The first tapping lick is easier once you get the basic shapes dialled, then practice the entire thing slowly and build up. I still can't play it even at half speed yet! (but it does sound impressive!) anyone else workin' on it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
antonis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tapping lick if you start practicing it very slow and carefully and try to pull off all the notes clearly for about 20 minutes a day then you will nail in about a week Wink . the last tapping lick will be easy as hell to play if you already mastered the first Cool .

my english are pretty bad Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: