Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Why does guthries guitar stay in tune so well????
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does guthries guitar stay in tune so well????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixxxer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Why does guthries guitar stay in tune so well???? Reply with quote

Im a new member here but i have been reading the forum for months now, you guys seem to know everything about guthrie lol.

So... Why/How does guthries guitar stay in tune so well with a standard trem.

i really want to find out how because im getting a custom Manson next month and want to have the same trem set up as guthrie.

any info would be great guys.

Guthrie is great by the way
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fixxer, welcome to the forum Smile

Well, apart from experience of using trems and some of his techniques being vibrato more than trem, I'd point to a good setup. A well cut nut (possibly with a little Nut-sauce or some such and locking tuners (certainly on the Suhrs)

All the specs for Guthrie's guitars are available on the Suhr site

Someone will have a mine of information on the exact magics involved, and I look forward to reading that Cool
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that mine should be ed i guess. but frankus is right. a well set up (and constructed) guitar stays in tune ... more or less.

if we're talking non-locking systems, a well cut nut is of course important, as well as using no string trees and having staggered height tuners. somme kind of nut lubricant (can't help myself: it IS funny!) might be helpful as well.

it's partly in the hands as well. a non locking system does go out of tune, if ever so slightly, and u'll have to compensate that by bending/tugging the string back into position after pressing down on the bar -- but u do that while playing. for instance: after a wild divebomb u play a lick where u bend up on the high g string.

i have a system more or less similar to guthrie's on my guitar, and it just works Very Happy basically thanks to the setup.

tak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is, but my Suhr Standards stay in tune unlike any other guitar I've ever owned. As mentioned, it probably has a lot to do with the setup. The Feiten system is really nice also.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tak wrote:
I'm not sure what it is, but my Suhr Standards stay in tune unlike any other guitar I've ever owned. As mentioned, it probably has a lot to do with the setup. The Feiten system is really nice also.

Homer J. Frankus wrote:

mmmmhhhmmm... Suhr guitars ...

Manson's guitars look cool, the setup should be faultless and the trem will not likely go out of tune - I would have thought.

It looks like the kinda thing Dave Hill would love. This is not indicative of his work, but he's got a sense of humour Wink

Site needs an update I think as it's been "under construction" since 2003. Needs to lose the frames. http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/

I have the power!
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: johndenner Reply with quote

Those are sweet looking Guitars!

Thank's for the TIP!
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked about tuners on another forum and how to keep guitars in tune..

It occurred to me then that I've not tuned the Suhr for about 2 months... so out came the tuning fork.. fine ... so out came the digital tuner... still fine Shocked

I have the power!
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: johndenner Reply with quote

Do you use the BAR??

I know my "Ernie Ball axis" stays in tune almost forever but every know and then it's of just a hair..

That's amazing if you using the "BAR" and it never goes out
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: SIT string Reply with quote

S.I.T strings make a Huge difference in my setup!

These strings are the best!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

It occurred to me then that I've not tuned the Suhr for about 2 months... so out came the tuning fork.. fine ... so out came the digital tuner... still fine Shocked

did u play it? Cool

frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
frankus wrote:

did u play it? Cool

Laughing cheeky! I've been playing it solidly and doing trem dives and behind he nut bends ... most chuffed.

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
behind he nut bends ... most chuffed.

giggle, giggle.

seriously, i have a similar experience with my suhr. but it does go out of tune when tell it to.

Scias

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that grease that you put on the nut or "nut sauce" as someone said earlier is the most effective way. I remember a friend put it on a strat, whammy'd the thing all the way until the whammy bar hit the body of the guitar and the strings flopped around like a bad hair day, released it and the strings were still perfectly in tune.
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scias wrote:
I think that grease that you put on the nut or "nut sauce" as someone said earlier is the most effective way. I remember a friend put it on a strat, whammy'd the thing all the way until the whammy bar hit the body of the guitar and the strings flopped around like a bad hair day, released it and the strings were still perfectly in tune.

i think that it's best to stay away from putting any fluid stuff in the nut slots. while it will work as a lubricant, it might react with the nut material and/or build up stuff in there, which would lead to other problems down the road. it has probably a lot to do with what kind of nut material you have, and what kind of 'nut sauce' you use, but i'm pretty sure john suhr would advice against it, in favor of pencil lead.

benson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Suhr GG - Not perfect Reply with quote

Not to throw a spanner in the works here, but as a player of 30 years experience I've owned a Suhr Guthrie Govan signature guitar for the last four weeks or so and as much as I adore the tone, build quality, feel and the playability of the instrument it DOES NOT STAY IN TUNE.

I don't know if its the Tremol-No or a setup issue, I've been in touch with the UK distributor and with Suhr in the USA but thus far I don't think 10 days between emails is acceptable on an instrument of this magnitude and for now I'm back to gigging my PRS guitars because they stay in tune.

I'm very sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: