Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Chromatic soloing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chromatic soloing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Chromatic soloing Reply with quote

Hi,

Here is my version of the chromatic lesson from Guthrie at lick library.
Tell me what do you think about it.
Sorry for the quality y hope I will upload a best version soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvoQYvBKrD0

Pablo
loiking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was cool man! the only eency squeency prob i have with it was your axe. while i'm a big fan of metal music, and think Ibanez guitars go well with the genre, an Ibanez and jazz/fusion maybe don't go together as well as your playing deserves!
markmcg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:
that was cool man! the only eency squeency prob i have with it was your axe. while i'm a big fan of metal music, and think Ibanez guitars go well with the genre, an Ibanez and jazz/fusion maybe don't go together as well as your playing deserves!

Someone should have told Frank Gambale/Scofield/Henderson....etc etc.

A guitar is just the conduit man Wink

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
loiking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes gambale etc did use Ibanez'z in the eighties, but don't we all prefer the tone those blokes get these days playing yamaha,Suhr etc.
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:
yes gambale etc did use Ibanez'z in the eighties, but don't we all prefer the tone those blokes get these days playing yamaha,Suhr etc.

dude please don't get your head wrapped around the mentality that guitar & amp brand make up the tone for a certain genre of music... guthrie can play dimebag darrell's signature guitars and will still sound like guthrie.... your tone is all in your head, and it's up to you to figure out how to bring it out to reality, and the major factor about tone is always in your hands, that sounds cliche but it is very very true... you're still young and it will be very very sad if you start thinking that equipments and brands are the deciding factors to great tone... ok?
RD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:

Actually...I prefer the tone of oldschool Gambale with his Ibanez over his Yamaha tone since the tone in Ibanez days was way way thicker and fuller, wich I like.

And I agree with Pablo too; it's not Ibanez' fault that lot's of ppl play with no-so-good sound.

I also dislike it that electric guitarists overuse gain/distortion so much. If you'd pay more attention, you'd actually notice what lot's of the great players that play with distortion don't use that much of it at all.

And for practising purposes I'd use a 100% clean tone so that any technical mistake is staring in your face right away.

About the video:

Sounds interesting, but very Guthrie-like... This can be good or bad, depending on whether you wanna sound like somebody else or not. I most definately recognize Gurhties phrasing in this clip. Still a great accomplishment ofcourse!
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice playing man. The reason it sounds like Guthrie's phrasing is because he's playing note for note Guthrie's solo over that same backing track. I think there is a link to it in the media section, I could be wrong though
hawtlicks7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i defnitely agree, i have a bunch of students of all age and skill ranges, and what i enjoy most is when they find their own "voice" or "sound" and while some may say they need their own gear or whatever to be able to play properly and that indeed is true; its defnitely easier when youre comfortable with what youve been practicing on, players like guthrie and anyone whos reached a certain level of proficiency can make any instrument they pick up instantly sound like its their own and sound just like themselves. i know this is a long response, but one of my biggest annoyances is when ppl blame everything on their equipment. i thought the clip sounded just fine, with a very solid tone, and that was through whatever device it was recorded with, which had to pick up a backing track and also guitar frequencies. ive owned plenty of ibanez 6 and 7's, and i think they are best suited for "extreme" playing styles and techniques, and fusion can defnitely fit into that category. players like gambale, holdsworth have used these and while it can be argued their tone wasnt up to par with what it is today, with the right hands any decent guitar is gonna be fine. i know this is a sin against thw quality of suhr guitars, but im surprised i havent happened upon a clip of guthrie holding an ibanez, it seems like it wouldve have fit nicely in with his technique, perhaps maybe in his younger years before he had all his endorsments. most of my students when they want to gravitate more towards a "shred" guitar all go for ibanez, because of the playability you can get for a relatively low cost compared to other higher end makes.
Cass679

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawtlicks7 wrote:
i know this is a sin against thw quality of suhr guitars, but im surprised i havent happened upon a clip of guthrie holding an ibanez, it seems like it wouldve have fit nicely in with his technique, perhaps maybe in his younger years before he had all his endorsments. most of my students when they want to gravitate more towards a "shred" guitar all go for ibanez, because of the playability you can get for a relatively low cost compared to other higher end makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG_s3JCk5Ms Very Happy
JasonK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawtlicks7 wrote:
ive owned plenty of ibanez 6 and 7's, and i think they are best suited for "extreme" playing styles and techniques... players like gambale, holdsworth have used these and while it can be argued their tone wasnt up to par with what it is today...

I don't get the whole anti-Ibanez sentiment. Andy Timmons plays Ibanez and he's world-renowned for his tone, and the last time I checked, he isn't some mindless 20,000 notes per second Rusty Cooley-type "extreme" "shredder."

Different players prefer different guitars. You do realize that just buying a Suhr and Cornford won't make someone sound just like Guthrie?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Guthrie suddenly started playing Ibanez, how many people from the anti Ibanez set would start espousing the virtues of the brand.

Wink

"Kelly has a fabulous sense of melody.."- Michael Molenda, Guitar Player magazine

"Much better songwriting than most instrumental stuff out there." - Dave Weiner (Steve Vai band)
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget george benson, pat metheny, john scofield played ibanez guitars up to this present day ... and how can we forget steve vai's jem???? specially he's got one of the most instantly recognizable guitar tone...the same with satch.... this might be a little far-off the topic but in general, tone doesn't fall on equipment brands..that is a fact... just take Eddie Van Halen's signature tone, until now he's still in-love with his "frankenstrat" guitar and the only knob there is a 'VOLUME' ...no fancy stuff or whatever... i mean Fender replicated the exact no-named guitar, but knowing Eddie had the 'frankenstrat' from day one and being toured and played, and the tone he gets from it is amazing ... i think its the connection with the instrument and how it (guitar) presents and represents the player's emotion, art, and voice is more important than the name it bears on the headstock regardless of the genre of music one plays....

...ok i'm talking too much
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Great playing Reply with quote

I would love to hear this with a better recording, and camera!!

Awesome chops
Santuzzo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Great job ! Reply with quote

Wow, awesome job !

I remember having seen that Guthrie Govan lesson on chromatics in playing somewhere on a website called LickLibrary (or something like that).

I tired to look for that lesson (PFD and MP3's) but I could not fin it anymore....

Does anybody know where I can find the lesson online?

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Lars
Scias

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:

I agree. I used to use ibanezs all the time back when i was into steve vais stuff. Since discovering guthrie I think a better sound can be made with other brands. While suhr is probably extremely good, a broke man like me just whips out the old squire strat. Its well aged, but after replacing the pickups with mexican ones, I can get a much more raw cutting edge tone than i can from my rg320.

The tune was pulled off extremely well! Smile
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, it's hardly a question of "brands". ceck out the ibanez andy timmons models.

and a suhr pro series is a bargain compared to an ibanez prestige imho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: