Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Member - SE England
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member - SE England

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecky-Thump

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: New Member - SE England Reply with quote

Hi all,

Major, major guitar nut here - lover of all things shred from Jason Becker, Ron Jarzombeck, Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci, Macalpine, Gambale, Hiland, Gilbert - plus the incredible Martin Taylor - the list goes on!

I used to be a bass player for a number of years and played semi-pro after studying at Leeds College of Music. I kind of lost the passion for bass and switched to guitar.

My noodlings are nothing compared with the likes of my influences but I keep plugging away!

Been a tough couple of years after having a nervous breakdown through stress in a sales job in London and then hitting the bottle big time. Things are looking brighter now though as I get back on my feet without any pollutants and head towards the magical day when I pick up a Suhr or Tom Anderson!

It's great to see Guthrie doing so well as he really is a stellar talent - there's also a number of other British players flying the flag - Andy James (who I saw at the LGS a couple of weeks ago), Rick Graham (from the Petrucci forum), Dave Kilminster etc.

Great to be here!

Trev Smile
Cass679

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

What was your impressions of LCM? I'm going there in September Smile
Ecky-Thump

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome - Leeds College of Music is great - I was there back in 2000 - since then they have spent a lot of money on additional buildings, performance labs etc. I had a great time there.

I remember checking out the library on the first day and watching Greg Howe videos, reading Holdsworth books, checking out the jazz CD's etc. Bliss!

Pete Sklaroff is the main guitar teacher there - he's a monster player!

I'm sure you'll love it! You can't beat being amongst like minded musicians and if you take advantage of their resources you'll have the time of your life and really grow as a player.

Best of luck!

Trev
freakfoot

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i like pete's jazz phrasing. he posted just a while ago on another forum saying he put some new tunes up. check out his rendition of blue bossa, he's got great ideas on that tune Smile

http://www.myspace.com/petesklaroff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: