Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Finally Getting Started on the 24-Fretter
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally Getting Started on the 24-Fretter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Finally Getting Started on the 24-Fretter Reply with quote

Well, I've finally convinced John to get started working on the Suhr 24-fret shred machine. This won't just be a Standard with 2 extra frets. The body will be completely re-designed with slightly longer horns (but not too sharp or pointy) and a new plate-less easy-access heel. And yes, a version of this 24-fretter will probably end up being the "official" GG model in the future based on his Mahogany-body Standard - with or without the Floyd. Guthrie had mentioned that he sometimes misses those 2 extra frets himself and it also seems that he's open to experimenting with the Floyd as well. Ah, now this is exciting!

Hopefully, we'll see the first version (the Suhr 10th Anniversary Limited Edition) in the second-half of this year. The normal Custom versions (including the GG Sig) and the Pro Series version should be ready to roll by NAMM. We're planning to triple the size of our booth for the next NAMM. We should have a lot of cool new stuff to show but the 24-fretter and a few versions of GG Sig model shall certainly be a highlight. And I can easily envision Guthrie tearing it up with one at Tone Merchants during NAMM week. A lot to look forward to! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Cass679

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. Shocked

Know i won't be able to get to NAMM, but i look forward to seeing some pics and footage. This is shaping up to be a nice year for GG and Suhr Cool Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24 fret Suhr ... that'd be cool Cool

I have the power!
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resisted the urge to buy a Standard recently and it was mainly down to the fact that I've played 24 fret guitars for years and although the Suhr tone is awesome I just couldn't bring myself to part with the cash on something I might not get on with.

A 24 fret Suhr sounds good to me!

Tony
loiking

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long are the pedals away Ed?
frankus

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:

Depends how long yer legs are Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:

We'll be starting out with some very basic stuff:

Overdrive pedal
Clean boost pedal
Distortion pedal

Perhaps we can have one or two of these ready by 2008 NAMM. We've just finished the development of a mini line mixer that converts the series effects loop of an amp into a clean parallel loop and a line out box, so we're serious about getting into the business of useful electronic guitar accessories and effects.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
loiking wrote:

Depends how long yer legs are Wink

Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711UK wrote:
I resisted the urge to buy a Standard recently and it was mainly down to the fact that I've played 24 fret guitars for years and although the Suhr tone is awesome I just couldn't bring myself to part with the cash on something I might not get on with.

A 24 fret Suhr sounds good to me!

Tony

Well, it's not too far off - finally! Believe me, I've been pushing for this before I joined Suhr when I was running Tone Merchants. Yesterday, John was working on the body shape with the CAD program and we compared the outlines to the digitized body shapes of the Jackson Soloist and the Ibanez Jem. Obviously, we don't want our shape to be identical to these established 24-fret shred machines, but it seems that the shape will be pretty close. We liked certain things about the Soloist shape and certain things about the Jem shape. We'll try to incorporate the best of both. It'll be sleek and classy at the same time.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, Guthrie can't handle the grown-up's guitar, eh?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Soooo, Guthrie can't handle the grown-up's guitar, eh?

It's just another tool in his toolbox or a paint brush for his palette. After this, there'll be a set-neck 24.75" scale guitar and then afterwards a hollow-body jazz box. Maybe we'll do a 7-string or a long-scale Bajo guitar or whatever. We may even dabble in a few high-end acoustics down the line. Whatever he needs to keep making great new music, I say! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

After this, there'll be a set-neck 24.75" scale guitar

If you guys created a 24 fret, 24.75 scale, H/S/S, Alder body in a strat shape I'd definitely buy it.

It isn't the fact that there's extra frets to play on, it's more to do with where my hands are positioned over the neck in the upper register. Not everyone has huge wirey hands like Vai or Guthrie. A shorter scale gives someone like me who has smaller hands the ability to play stretched scale runs at the lower end more easily, instead of having to adjust my hand position too much. Although a 24.75 gets tight at the top end for guys who are used to playing 25.5 for me it's really nice (you could even put narrower frets on in the upper register for guys with in betweeny sized hands). I have 4 Valley Arts all 24.75 and they are the easiest playing guitars I've ever owned but none of them give me the tone that GG has on the Larry Carlton clip.

Tony
hawtlicks7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i agree ive had a bunch of 24 fret ibanez' and its not so much having those 2 extra frets, as it is the comfort in the higher registers. on a 22 or 21 fretter, when youre up around the 17th fret and beyond your hand all of a sudden feels like its cramped for space and usually at that point your fret hand palm is nearing having to deal with whatever neck joint situation is involved on that particular instrument. having 24 frets for me, means all that higher register stuff gets bumped down a bit, so when you start climbing up the neck, everything feels a bit less restricted and comfortable.
poulter5150

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: 24 fret Reply with quote

is there any photos you could put up for us to see?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is putting the finishing touches on the CAD drawings and we'll get started on the first prototype soon. The dimensions for the new easy access heel and the contours, the pickup routs, the bridge routs, etc. are getting worked on now and it's just a matter of moving all the coordinates to the CNC now. It's taking longer than we thought but John's about as anal as one can get in regards to the tiniest details, so it'll be worth the wait and we'll do a big launch for it at NAMM. I hope to have some pics in a month or two and we'll definitely have a bunch to show at NAMM and get one into Guthrie's hands as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: