Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Fellowship, Churchill's 25th October
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fellowship, Churchill's 25th October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: The Fellowship, Churchill's 25th October Reply with quote

Hey! I've been needing an excuse for a first post for a while now, and i thought a small review of their show yesterday was perfect.

They all played like maniacs from the start. There were some exceptional solos from every member of the band...but as you would imagine the biggest claps were for Guthrie and Zak.

I think the most enjoyable part of the gig aws the extended version of Chromoazone- either i missed a couple of pages of the sheet music or that jam wasn't in the original Very Happy - or the encore of Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band....plus 4 minute solos from everyone.

During the set I distinctly heard guthrie throw in the Inspector Gadget theme tune, a sailor song (the one that starts 'what would you do with a drunken sailor...')... and there was possibly the theme from 'The Bill' (a british tv show) in there too.

I bought a load of non-guitar playing mates along and they just sat there with their mouths open for most of it. The one thing that got them was when guthrie started picking with his slide bar, as he is wont to do.

The crowd was really quite big and very responsive, which definately helped the atmosphere. Other highlights include: Pete Riley with a 'funky' t-shirt on, zak barrett getting out his mobile at the beginning of one of seth's solos ('god, we're in for a long one....'),guthrie lighting up AND smoking whilst continuing to play and guthrie abandoning lead altogether for a chordal solo. I can't honestly see how, if they continue to play like that, they won't start grabbing some big attention very soon indeed.

Btw, Guthrie said that they very probably will record NAMM for another DVD.

If you guys have any questions about his gear (there was some new stuff in there since i last saw him a couple of months ago) ill try and answer them.

God it's 21 hours on and im still buzzing.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Churchills?

I have the power!
dave...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churchill's is a music pub in Southend. If you know where Subway's is (on the main highstreet) its just down a turning opposite it.

This is interesting acutally, it must be annoying for people in essex not to know when The Fellowship are playing...i think that's due to the fact they still don't have a website. If there are a couple of people on this site who CAN design and would be up for doing a fellowship site should we get something together??? I haven't got time to commit to it on my own.

If anyone's up for it i'll suggest it to zak next monday when i see him?

(if someone like guthrie is reading this and is skeptical http://www.inhumancreations.co.uk i've cut it off because i'm about to take it down [haven't found the time to finish it] but if you wait long enough it will load up)
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in two camps here..

As a long time web monkey and Fellowship fan I'm part of the crowd who's offered, but the band seem preoccuppied with their music and real-world activities. I can see a real advantage to the guys getting a site together and flogging mp3s on the net and getting a worldwide following.

On the other hand how many musicians have got www.yourname.com or www.myband.com? In so many cases it's a vanity and often little more than a chance for the artist or one of the band to knock up a website. Ars gratia artis.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Fellowship, Churchill's 25th October Reply with quote

dave... wrote:

Btw, Guthrie said that they very probably will record NAMM for another DVD.

If you guys have any questions about his gear (there was some new stuff in there since i last saw him a couple of months ago) ill try and answer them.

God it's 21 hours on and im still buzzing.

Hey Dave, thanks for the review. I'm sure every single show is different and that they always throw out something new every time. They'll play 4 shows in a row here in Jan and I'm sure each one will be slightly different.

Yes, as I posted on another thread, we'll have a pro video and audio crew to tape the shows with pro editing as well.

Was he using the Analog Man pedals?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dave...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as im aware, yes there were analog man pedals in there. He took me through them quite quickly... i just asked asked about his Wah effect, he's replaced a pedal with 'H2O' on it with a simpler unit from america. i honestly don't know what they were all called im afraid!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave... wrote:
As far as im aware, yes there were analog man pedals in there. He took me through them quite quickly... i just asked asked about his Wah effect, he's replaced a pedal with 'H2O' on it with a simpler unit from america. i honestly don't know what they were all called im afraid!

Well, I turned him onto those Analog Man pedals. One's a fuzz called Sun Face with an NOS NKT-275 Germanium transistor that I think is the simply the best fuzz out there and the chorus unit is the Clone with just speed and depth knobs. Even though it only has two knobs, it has a real wide range of sounds as you can set the knobs anywhere and it will sound really good and usable in a very musical manner. When you turn the speed knob up high, you can get some really cool Leslie effects as well. Simple but highly effective and sounds awesome. I need to turn him onto a really cool wah next. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Wiebren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since i'm also looking for an excuse to make my fist post ill take this opportunity Smile.

By the looks of it must have been one hell of a concert. Just wish i had the chance to see the master him self live. But since i live in the Netherlands chances are small i guess. I found out about Guthrie his music a few month's ago when i found a link to his clips on an other forum. And i love the stuff the guy is playing especially how he moves though progressions and his combination of styles. Hope to learn somthing here

Cheers,

Wiebren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: