Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Who would be in your Guthrie dream team?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who would be in your Guthrie dream team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipblows

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Who would be in your Guthrie dream team? Reply with quote

Many is the happy hour that I have whiled away with muso mates discussing the merits of our favourite musicians, hotly debating top ten lists, and putting together ultimate fusion combos etc.

So, who would make your ultimate band that included Guthrie? Era is not an issue, so for example Beethoven could be on keys if you so wished!

To kick things off, I reckon I'd go for:

Guthrie - Guitar
Gary Willis - bass (an easy choice)
Vinnie Colaiuta - drums (another easy choice)
Jason Rebello - piano
Squarepusher - electronics (an experimental selection, but he happens to be a genius too, and him and GG went to the same school!)
Michael Brecker - sax and EWI (recreate some Steps Ahead magic)
Andy Narell - steel pans (adding a Weather Report flavour to the sound)

They could totally rock out, and could also lay down some sophisticated jazz, as well as pushing the boundaries experimentally.

Who's next?
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for Vinnie Colaiuta
Mike Keneally on rhythm guitar and vocals with Roy Estrada, Lauren Hill and Mary J Blige.
Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke on bass
Brian Eno, Herbie Hancock on Keyboards
Wynton Marsallis, Michael Breaker, Ornette Coleman as brass

that'd be cool,

I have the power!
Tanya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got a 'dream team' with GPS - but you knew I'd say that !!! Smile

Tanya
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... since you asked, I decided to think. Here would be my pick, for today anyways.

Guitars: Guthrie and either Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson or Wayne Krantz, someone basically who would challenge Guthrie every night and force him the bring his A game every night.

Drums: This is a hard one for me so I'll put down a few; Kieth Carlock (Krantz Drummer), Kenneth Schulk (Candiria's former drummer) or Thomas Haag (meshuggah) I feel all of these guys would bring something different but would again push the envelope.

Horns: Dave Liebman (Sax), Sean Jones (Trumpet) some old and new blood.

Bass: This tough, hmmm.... I don't want someone too flashy but some one who is aggressive and crafty, and unique, I almost want to say Les Claypool, but I think I'll go with Victor Wooten, even though he is often flashy he does usually know when to back off a bit and feel the groove. Plus he can improvise well, and and some fun to the show.

Keys: How about Brad Meldau this guy can do about anything and would definitely add some nice color to the sound.

So the condensed list...

Guitars; Guthrie and either Holdsorth, Henderson, or Krantz

Drums; Either Keith Carlock, Kenneth Shalk or Thomas Haag

Bass; Victor Wooten, will entertain others though.

Horns, Dave Liebman (sax) Sean Jones (trumpet) and maybe a badass bass clarinetist

Alright I'll stop drolling,

Cheers.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Mike Keneally on rhythm

I'd like to see Dennis Chambers on drums. Actually, Billy Cobham now that I think of it.

This might sound like an oddball pick, but I'd like to see Jordan Rudess on keys. Pull him away from the prog stuff and put him in a jam band setting, and I think him and Guthrie would be an awesome mix. He's got that quirky "Rhode Island Shred" style musical humor that comes out in his playing as well.

Victor Wooten on bass...but then again, I really like what Seth is already doing.
philipblows

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about Seth - it's worth pointing out that I LOVE the line up of the 'popular beat combo' Erotic Cakes, and I genuinely don't think I would enjoy that album any more if some LA fusion big-wigs were on it. It's just fun to imagine the all-star line ups.

As a bass player myself, I totally respect Seth's groove playing, and think that he, like his brother, has a superb tone and feel. He plays exactly what's needed for the tunes, and executes his bass lines really well. His solos can be cool too.

Similarly with Pete, I'm no expert on playing the drums, but he has a great groove, imaginative parts, and pulls off lots of jaw dropping stuff ro boot.

I'm also a big fan of Victor Wooten - I have piles of Bela Fleck albums, really enjoy the Live at The Quick DVD, have the Bass Day DVD and so on, and love his solo album Yin and Yang (especially the instrumental disc). He is a beautifully fluid fingerstyle soloist, and produces awesome funky b-lines. However I would be hard pushed to include him in my dream team because of his tasteless slap frenzies!! He seems to see the red mist sometimes, and throw melodic considerations out of the window... good fun at first, but ultimately not that musical.

Gary Willis on the other hand, while guilty of making some horrible solo music, and allowing Tribal Tech to move away from being an awesome rocking fusion band to a horribly dissonant experimental project, is, in my humble opinion, THE supreme bass player.

His grooves are mind-numbingly funky, and his solos are just silk. His tone and right hand technique give him such dynamic interest, that for me he is number one. Still, we all like different things.

Great choice with Mike on rhythm guitar by the way, borrowed a G3 DVD off a mate, and was well impressed by the way that he matched Vai note for note while dancing around the stage like a chump! Bad hat though...

Keep the suggestions coming folks... Very Happy
Resi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar: Guthrie Govan
Guitar: Emily Remler
Guitar: Jim Hall
Double Bass: Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen
Electric Bass: Victor Wooten
Fretless Bass: Jaco Pastorius
Piano: Michel Petrucciani
Piano: McCoy Tyner
Organ: Jimmy Smith
Soprano Sax: David Liebman
Alt Sax: Charlie Parker
Tenor Sax: Michael Brecker
Trumpet: Carlo Nardozza
Clarinet: Eric Dolphy
Banjo: Béla Fleck
Violin: Jean-Luc Ponty
Drums: Dave Weckl

And I'll stop there... Okay, so it's more of a big band... Razz
tweezeroo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course Rolf Harris on stylophone..
Mirth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resi,

Why your at it how about Tito Puente on Percussion. Ha.

BTW I notice Emily Remler on there, I've heard so much great stuff about her, but have never heard anything that grabbed me YET, I must emphasize yet. What would you suggest to check out.

Cheers,

Tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
Resi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
Resi,

Why your at it how about Tito Puente on Percussion. Ha.

BTW I notice Emily Remler on there, I've heard so much great stuff about her, but have never heard anything that grabbed me YET, I must emphasize yet. What would you suggest to check out.

Cheers,

Tim

Well, what got me into her was her album East To Wes, which is a tribute to Wes Montgomery - she uses a lot of Wes style octave playing etc... And as you can imagine, it's pretty straight-ahead jazz.

It depends what you're into, though. Later on in her life she started getting into a more smooth-jazzish approach to it, which you can hear on her album This Is Me (it's still far from smooth jazz, don't worry) which I also love...

Anyway, I've uploaded my favorite track of East To Wes, the title track, so you can have a taste.

I find her phrasing in it very reminiscent of Guthrie... Or, it would be the other way around. Razz
loiking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a good question
Guitar=Guthrie
Bass and vocals=Jack Bruce(maybe when he was younger)
Drums=Billy Cobham
Rythm Guit=Mike Keneally
Horns=Miles( i know its kind of wierd but i reckon he'd dig it)
Keys=Herbie
Errock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Guthrie Govan
-Christina Aguilera
-Madona

The new G3 Wink
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the rasta guitar teacher at my school on guitars.
Vocals- has to be that guy at the basement last christmas doin the beatboxin stuff, not neceserily singing, but making obscure noises.
bass-probably the fat guy from bowling for soup.
Drums- animal from the muppets, blows donati out the window.
Keyboards-chopin

Imagine that at the basement, that would be immense live, it would be crazy, I would gladly give all my money for that.
adrianclark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the tricky thing isn't who to have alongside Guthrie, but how to use Guthrie himself for best results.

He looks a bit languid and lazy, but he's got a fearsome burst of speed and immaculate technique. I'd want him holding back a bit behind Defoe or Owen. For those games against teams with big defenders, though, I'd use Crouch as target man for the set pieces, nodding balls back to Owen and keep Guthrie back in more of a Lampard role. Problem is, you just can't have Guthrie and Gerrard together, so that'd be a bit of a dilemma.

Will that do?

Smile

adrian
Delicato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianclark wrote:
Will that do?

Yes it will. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: