Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Fellowship at The Bassment October 28th?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellowship at The Bassment October 28th?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Fellowship at The Bassment October 28th? Reply with quote

Is the normal Thursday night Bassment sesh on for this week? Hoping to take another trip down!
Will

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on this topic, i'm thinking of popping down this thursday from Bromley.

I'm interested in these Bassment/Tonemerchants DVDs, but unfortunately i'm young and poor and have always been scared to get a credit card (despite Lloyds band trying to ram them down my throat whilst i've heavily overdrawn - ang on, last I heard Seth was working for them - it must be his fault - damn that man)

Laughing

If theres anyone regulary at the bassment gig who i can buy them off there, please let me know. I might even buy you a beer too! (i can now imagine a few ears perking up)

Excuse the spelling - i'm a few beers in (again)
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, those DVD's are not copy-protected or anything. Anybody could make duplicates. In fact, I'd welcome someone over in UK to make copies and sell for whatever it costs to get the copies made and distribute over in UK. For me, it costs about $5.50 each per lots of 50 copies made. I've shipped a few hundred copies to UK myself and I find that rather ironic.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you've the original which was in PAL format, I believe, I'll look into it.

My wife will probably habve a hissy fit, but I'm hoping with the frequency that's happening that I'll build up a tolerance Wink Confused Crying or Very sad

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Well, if you've the original which was in PAL format, I believe, I'll look into it.

My wife will probably habve a hissy fit, but I'm hoping with the frequency that's happening that I'll build up a tolerance Wink Confused Crying or Very sad

Never had a PAL format because the original was produced here as NTSC. As long as it's not region-coded, it should be fine over there, too, shouldn't it? I've sent hundreds of copies to UK and no one has told me that they couldn't view it there.

Well, you know, this may be a moot point since we'll produce a killer pro-quality DVD here in January and that DVD should be distributed through "normal" channels via Cornford Records and licensees around the world along with the debut solo album. When that DVD comes out, these clinic and Fellowship DVD's will just become collector's items for Guthrie fanatics and I think I should be able to handle that volume. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

Well, I be going to the bassment this week.. so if any of you guys are going I'll be the tall guy in combats with a strawberry blonde mop.. (not ginger).

Come over if you're about during the interlude. Not sure if Guthrie is there, what with work afoot on his sololproject, he usually is there unless out of the country.

If he's not there then Dave Kilminster who also writes for GT stands in. I reckon Guthrie'll be there unless Ed knows different Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that Guthrie will be there. Seems he just got back from Brighton. He's a very, very busy man. How far is Brighton from Chelmsford anyway?

Good to know that Guthrie has such an able replacement in Dave Kilminster when he's not around. Dave had told me that he had been touring with Keith Emerson. I understand that Pete Riley is also the drummer for Emerson as well. That's a very tight knit group of musicians there.

Don't forget to take some pics at the next gig! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay .. I went. I took one pic Embarassed

However Guthrie came over with an envelope of piccies from the Churchills gig. Just after I'd gone out in the rain to get some more batteries for the camera Confused c'est la vie. I'd not want to break the flow of the evening.. flash photography and all that..

I'm sorry to say I didn't get one of Guthrie sporting his tone merchants t-shirt, best get the lad a new one I reckon.. it's looking rather weary Very Happy

I took my mate Matt along and the two of us chortled as Guthrie and Zak swapped licks.. and tore into the theme to the Benny Hill show Shocked

High point of the night (for me) was Seth's bass solo for Chromazone. At this point I'd like to explain that Seth is generally tucked around the back of a pillar to the right of Zak and next to the drummer; his solos happen when Zak picks up his pint and steps aside. This week, Chromazone was played with a lot of gusto and the crowd were really hyped up Seth and the stand in drummer were the only band members not to have taken a solo..

Zak stands aside, and the pace the tune seemed to me to be at a speed Seth usually builds up to for everyone to join in again. He changes the tune Shocked I think it was Chicken Picking from the studio album (could be wrong) it has Guthrie playing a kind or reggae vamp and country licks (on the piezo I reckon) and there they are out of Chromazone and all into the next song at full pelt, playing solos in a really brief tumbling style and everyone rallying around a closing phrase, like a catch phrase shared amongst mates down the pub, used to conclude a line (like a game called "I'll have the Whetstone").

I've seen a couple of stand ins for Pete Riley, this guys was proper bo Smile he got a solo toward the end of the night and a lot of applause.

Dude, I've learnt something today and that is...

It's one of those things that hard to reconcile, people measuring Guthrie's ability or taking him as an individual entity when on evening like last night it's a holistic thing and analysis seems totally inappropriate if not comical.

I guess the disparity is similar to the difference I felt between the dread I had, as we acquired prams, cots and the like in an organised fashion before my son was born; yet seeing my wife's bump kicking put all the organisation and responsible scary stuff into a warming context. You can't have one without the other, and the reason for the organisation is to facilitate the real life event.

I have the power!

Last edited by frankus on Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image here (712k)

and duff Sad

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, there's always next week or the week after, right? Wink

Thanks for the review. The more I read about this, the more I shudder in excitement about Guthrie and the band tearing it up over here in January. I get what you're saying. Yup, it's a communal kind of thing and that's what I'm looking forward to as much as watching Guthrie play.

Thanks for the pic of that helter skelter rig of Guthrie's. Laughing Started a thread about it in the Gear section of this forum.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tune was The Chicken (track ten on the studio album)... so imagine going from Chromazone to 'The Chicken' and that's what they did last week, couldn't go this week had to prepare for our new kitchen and fold 1300 raffle tickets with my wife... I know how to live, me Sad

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: