Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New guitar purchase in the works, what to get???
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guitar purchase in the works, what to get???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: New guitar purchase in the works, what to get??? Reply with quote

Alright, so I’ve started a little savings account and hopefully will be getting a new guitar by October to December. I’m steering towards Suhr, Vigier, and Carvin.

I currently have a 7 string Carvin that I love, but I’m looking to getting a 6 string. The 7 string has a thick neck, which I like, but I’m steering towards a really light resonant guitar with a thin, flat neck.

I want dual humbuckers. Great low action. I’m mostly thinking of Vigier Excalibur, or Suhr (don’t know model/like Guthries main axe) or the Carvin H2. I want a tremolo, as well, and the real kicker is I’m a lefty!!

Also having a semi hollow, or chambered guitar is a preference, no F holes though.

So what do you think, any suggestions? Vigier or Suhr? (I have a feeling I know what this forum will say, but give me some reasons)

Cheers,

Tim

Carvin may seem out of place, but it’s a lot cheaper, I love the one I have, and no problems at all with the lefty.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New guitar purchase in the works, what to get??? Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
So what do you think, any suggestions? Vigier or Suhr? (I have a feeling I know what this forum will say, but give me some reasons).

Lucky Day wrote:
A reason... hmm... whaddaya think Neddy?

Ned Nederlander wrote:
Well I don't know... oh alright

A! They're adorable

B! Buzz Feiten tuning system... (as standard)

C! Contoured heel... (as standard)

P! ... Plek set up (as standard) with Q,R & S quite rust-free stainless steel frets... (not standard)..

The trem is a 1088 IIRC with a

Stainless steel trem block (not standard IIRC)

and these fellows on the back...

(non standard at no extra cost).

I'd have to say if you want a great degree of control over the shape of the neck and fretboard I was gob-smacked by the suhr options it made me really think about all the guitars I've played... and why I liked them.

But you knew I was going to say all that. But getting a chambered standard with a figured top and bindings with a couple of suhr humbuckers would be an amazing idea.. I thought about getting a classic-T with a humbucker on the neck and a single coil on the bridge (I think I went through a lot of switches)... I'd be surprised if anywhere did as solid a job for lefties.. it amazed me Cool

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i chose between a suhr or vigier when i went shopping two yrs ago.don't think you can go wrong with any of them, quality wise, but what made me go suhr was:

1) totally customizable. they'll do what you want, plus what would have been costly special options on the vigier is(kind of) standard options @ suhr.

2) a wanted a very modern axe, but with some vintage features (sound wise), and a vintage look. suhr is on top of the game when it comes to the modern-vintage in different combinations.

3) i realized that a wasn't a solely a metal-fusion guy any longer, that i needed something that could cover certain grounds. vigier can cover tha same grounds, definitely, but suhr had the best solutions for me. had i wanted a more shreddy type of axe, i would have gone with vigier. not now though, since i'm hooked on suhr and know what they can do, i.e. anything! but i don't think that suhr will give you 'better' solutions than vigier when it comes to modern 'shred' style instruments.

4) the price! even within eu, the vigier would cost significantly more than the totally custom suhr, and if you want ss frets and special options, it will be even more expensive. importing to usa ... i picked my suhr up in the states, and with the advantage of low $ compared to the swedish kroner, my custom suhr cost me less than an ibanez prestige, or something.

5) initial customer service when i started to ask about stuff was good from vigier, but outstanding from suhr.

the ghraphite reinforced neck on the vigiers are an extremely cool concept, practically. especially when you live in the climate that sweden offfers. but, if you're into a vintage sound ... it's not the same. i've only played five vigiers, and they were all shredders though ...

good luck.

my axe: http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=827

M@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTIONS Re the Steel block for a 1088 Trem...

1) Can the standard block be replaced with the Steel Block (swapped out)?

2) Can the Steel block be ordered from anywhere?

I think my Standard doesn't have the Steel block (looks like a zinc block, even though the Suhr site mentions that the 1088 has a Steel block).

Also, pardon my ignorance, what does the IIRC stand for? Embarassed

Cheers
M@
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys!! Beautiful guitars!! You are putting bad thoughts in my head. Hmm..

A couple questions…

-How resonant is the classic? I’m thinking about chambering a standard, but I’m just not sure if that’s what I want or not? I play a lot of jazz, but I also like to get heavy sometimes, so I’m kind of worried it won’t work out well for the chambered, but at the same time I still have my carvin 7 string which sounds great heavy, so I can always switch guitars. The carvin is a quilted koa top on koa and maple, it’s acoustically very quiet, but sounds great plugged in. I’m hoping the new guitar will be a little livelier acoustically.

-How balanced is the guitar, meaning when you sit, does it balance on your leg? I’d like a light guitar, but I don’t want the neck to out way the body.

-What’s the time frame on ordering custom?

-Sumis you said your neck was wider then the standard? Was that something you asked for or, was that part of the Reb Beach neck? I’ve always wanted a little more space between strings, so that sounds like a good option for me. And how does that neck feel for legato and tapping stuff?

And what’s the advantage of the D shape neck? It sounds interesting, and being a scott fan I can’t help but look at it. It also is thin and that’s what I’m looking for.

So I’ve always been a strat guy, the thing that worries me about the Standard, even though I’m probably leaning that way, is I’ve never really been much of a Les Paul fan. So that sound is not really what I’m looking for. So I’m wondering if Going with a Classic HSH pick up configuration would be the best for me. Also are there coil taps on the pickups? And how do they sound split, can you still get that classic strat tone?

Oh, how is the 1055 bridge? Is it floating? Stay in tune? Sound good? Etc..

Thanks guys, sorry for all the questions…

Tim
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the more I’m thinking about it, what about the Classic T, I’ve always wanted a tele, but never had a major use for it. But I’ve heard that the body design just has a great tone about it. What about getting a Classic T with 2 humbuckers, with coil tap, and Gotoh1055, pickguard, Either Alder or Basswood, Pao Ferra fingerboard, with comfort cuts? Maybe D shaped neck, reversed headstock, sprezels, blank fingerboard, 16inch radius, wider nut configuration, I’m not sure what pickups, haven’t even really begun to figure that out…, hmm…

Though chambered could be nice, with basswood and maple top. Geez, what have you started? I mean what have I started?… considering I’m only saving about 30 to 40 bucks a week, plus whatever gigs, I guess this means I need to gig some more, a lot more, so I don’t have to wait until next year to get this. Hmmm….

What are the advantages to stainless steel frets? Or disadvantages?

Sorry for all the questions, I suppose it’s about time I start directing this to Suhr….
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget my QUESTIONS Re the Steel block for a 1088 Trem... Wink

1) Can the standard block be replaced with the Steel Block (swapped out)?

2) Can the Steel block be ordered from anywhere?

I think my Standard doesn't have the Steel block (looks like a zinc block, even though the Suhr site mentions that the 1088 has a Steel block).

Also, pardon my ignorance, what does the IIRC stand for?

Cheers
M@
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
Wow guys!! Beautiful guitars!! You are putting bad thoughts in my head. Hmm..

No, someone is putting thoughts in your head that you are having bad thoughts Wink really they're good thoughts... very good thoughts Laughing

Mirth wrote:
A couple questions…

There is only one person I know who can comprehensively answer all these questions... where is Ed?

Mirth wrote:
-How balanced is the guitar, meaning when you sit, does it balance on your leg? I’d like a light guitar, but I don’t want the neck to out way the body.

My guitar is very balanced.. and light too.. I play it on me knee at present as I can't decide whether to use a clip lock strap or buy a nice broad suede strap..

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as frankus said: ask ed!

download the specsheets from suhrguitars! search the suhr forum.

1088 comes with steel block. 1055 comes with steel block, or you could specify zinc block. u could get a steel block for 1055 from suhr, or callaham. zinc block sounds smooth and could actually be preferable depending one what tones you're after and what woods the guitar is made of. my 1055 stays in tune great, but it has less to do with the bridge, than with correct setup and zero wraps around the sperzel locking post. mine is recessed. recommended if u want it floating. looks cool as well Cool

standard body is very well balanced, and very resonant, despite its smaller size. the classic, tele and ts will sound bigger though -- but it's depends on many parameters ... wood? Wink a chambered tele or ts would resonate for days, i guess. but to be honest: my standard solidbody w/ pickguard is too loud to play unplugged without disturbing my girlfriend two rooms away, doors closed. it sings!

neck width is two standard choices: 1 11/16" or 1 5/8”. mine has the rb measurments, but is wider. its definitely a wonderful 'neck for technical shreddy stuff. especially with jumbo frets. i put mediums on though to keep my cool, but remember that they are just as tall as the jumbo, and taller than the heavy. suhr will scan any neck u send them and copy it! but honestly, i've played about 15 suhrs or so (not much compared to some, but they don't grow on trees!), with very different neck sizes, and they have all been ... outstanding to play with (even the fattest of the fattest that was on one axe i spent some time with). the even c slim is as slim as u'll ever need imho (even though mine is slimmer). but remember: the neck has huge impact on resonance.

a c shape is theoretically more ergonomic. and a too thin neck, where your palm has no contact with the back of the neck, forces u to pinch it. not good. ibanez wizard is not a very 'good' neck in this respect -- but obviously hasn't done any harm to the technique of two genreations of shredders.

advantages of stainless steel frets: they don't seem to wear ... at all! (kind of). disadvantages: none. if not looking brand new and polished all the time is a bad thing.

suhrs pickups is the shit! say no more. and they'll wire your guitar anyway u want, as long as its possible. give them a challenge. i have the ssv neck humbucker and it splits VERY very good. splitting hums is always a compromise, but this is really good. i'm mainly talking about pos 2 and 4, but the ssv split by itself is pretty cool as well, and with the ssh+ split by itself i can fool my mother and girlfriend and daughter (note that they are three different persons) that i have a tele. my guitar goes from angus young to wayne krantz with a flick of the 5-way.

expect nothing less than six months delivery time. probably much more, but your dealer will know more. and ed of course. but really, ed isn't really selling his stuff on this forum (which is really cool), although guthrie's playing definitely has sold a few suhrs Wink

Mirth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys!! I have to try and digest all this. As soon as I get an idea of what I'd want, then I say: "Alder would be good on a classic t, but what if I did basswood, oh them maybe I should go with a standard, and then...well there's mahogany, but that's not as light, but the sound, then maybe I should try a chambered, thing...yadda, yadda, yadda....."

This is tough, I guess it's good it will take me a little while to have the funds. But maybe not... I need to find a place that has one, even though I went blind with my carvin and am still ecstatic about it, I really would like to try different shapes and woods out to hear them.

Hmmm....hmmm...

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Tim

I definitely need to get in touch with Suhr.
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend considering an Ibanez S470. It's made of mahogany, has an arched top, and it's very thin and lightweight. It also has the thin Wizard II neck, and has the HSH pickup configuration.

"Kelly has a fabulous sense of melody.."- Michael Molenda, Guitar Player magazine

"Much better songwriting than most instrumental stuff out there." - Dave Weiner (Steve Vai band)
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
Thanks for the response guys!! I have to try and digest all this. As soon as I get an idea of what I'd want, then I say: "Alder would be good on a classic t, but what if I did basswood, oh them maybe I should go with a standard, and then...well there's mahogany, but that's not as light, but the sound, then maybe I should try a chambered, thing...yadda, yadda, yadda....."

Jim Reeves wrote:
Welcome to my world,
Won't you come on in

Laughing don't forget Swamp Ash, and apparently one piece is slightly heavier than 2-piece. But chambered means you've got to choose a top and type of binding.

Mirth wrote:
This is tough, I guess it's good it will take me a little while to have the funds. But maybe not... I need to find a place that has one, even though I went blind with my carvin and am still ecstatic about it, I really would like to try different shapes and woods out to hear them.

Good idea, try and find one with Stainless Steel jumbo frets, and a later one where the Buzz Feiten tuning system is in place... and the plek job.. in the UK that would cost half the price of the guitar without all the other components and bespoke neck..

Mirth wrote:
I definitely need to get in touch with Suhr.

Certainly get in touch with the Suhr forums for a view on what people like and for a massive array of ideas on stuff.

The problem with S470s is that Mirth is left handed and most Ibanez lefties are made in Korea, it'd be pretty difficult trying to find one. There was a Jazz guitarist in Spain I saw who played an S470, he was pretty cool.

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys.

As far as the S470, I've tried them before, but it honestly doesn't compare to the quality or sound of my Carvin, and I'm hoping now to even go beyond that. Plus being lefty I think i've seen like 2 before, but overall the body size might be a little too thin for me, and I'm kind of hoping for a more acoustical instrument. Possibly with chambering/or hollow like the Carvin H2.

But those necks are pretty cool, but I've heard their are a lot of problems with them. Something I would consider, if it was still around, would be a custom shop s series, but I'm not sure at those prices it would be better than a suhr or vigier.

Anyways thanks again, I have checked the suhr forum which was helpful.

Cheers,

Tim
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really think you should try and find a couple of suhrs to try out. the specs does of course make all the difference, but as decent, or even really good, as an ibanez s-series is, it's not really comparable to a custom speced guitar, pleked and all, with the best pups money can buy (subjectively), a lifetime warranty neck, buzz feiten system, as good as a finish get, etc.

just try any top of the line axe: anderson, tyler (the hugest sounding guitars i've ever heard has been tylers, chambered and solid), vigier ... a good ibanez guitar is actually as good a guitar one could ever need, but that doesn't mean it stops there ... it doesn't.

i would also try to play around with more 'mature' necks. speed and techinque isn't really connected to the thinness of a neck, although a flatter radius probably will. i always thought the wizard or jem necks was the ticket to shredding. after spending a few years getting my hands on many many boutiqe axes with more traditional specs, i've come to realize it's just not true. but off course, it's a personal preference and a question of playing style. rusty cooley on a suhr with landau specs might not be the ideal combination ...

frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I Recall Correctly... Embarassed sorry for not spotting that one before.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: