Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New guitar purchase in the works, what to get???
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guitar purchase in the works, what to get???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to try the Suhr through an amp and BD-2 it really brings the SSC into play... the thing is deadly quiet... there's no extra noise with the BD-2 on or off. Shocked I foretell much time will be spent finding lots of my favourite sweet-spots Cool

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again,

My wife's out this weekend so I think I'll venture up to the stores and see if I can check out some Suhr's somewhere. Smile

As far as a thinner neck, I currently have a 7 string carvin, which has a baseball bat for a neck, but it is definitely fast. I definitely like the thicker neck too, but just wanted something completely different then what I have, well maybe not completely, but I do want a different feel and sound.

With the thicker wider 7 string neck, it really fights you on getting solid bends sometimes. That and the nearly flat radius, so I'm hoping to get something that will be easier to hold in my hands. etc...

I wasn't really even considering a s series, I would get one used maybe on ebay or something for a couple hundred bucks, change out the pickups, etc... But for the most part Ibanez has always kind of ticked me off with there Lefty selection, but that could go for just about every company, but maybe more so considering for the longest time I wanted a Lefty Jem (japan) good luck finding one of those Wink

Anyways, hopefully I'll get to see a Suhr soon, I'm curious how the neck compares to the Carvin. I just set my carvin up and the action is about as low as I could ever imagine, but if the measurements are correct what you're saying about Suhr would even be lower Shocked

Cheers.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
Mirth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh; wait for it, wait for it….wait for it….

ding, ding, ding….

Another Question!!!

What about road worthiness?

Let me say first, I am a player not a collector; I will be playing the heck out of whatever guitar I get, I mean manhandling the thing. I’m not interested in a guitar I have to put away all the time, or constantly wipe off or polish.

I set up my guitars every couple months, I change the strings every couple weeks, but other than that, I don’t really baby my guitars, I play them a lot. Yank on them, drop them (not on purpose), knock them over, grab them funny, whatever. I have no desire to have a bunch of pretty guitars, I’d much rather have a 10thousand dollar guitar that looks like I took a sander to it from playing it, then have it shining in a clear case on the wall.

Of course I will baby it for a little while, but I try not to be a guitar snob, and will let any one play it really, even though I’m lefty. I’m certainly not over protective. Maybe this is not the right way to treat something like this, but I’m in to play, and bend and yank strings, and tap and slap and jump around and whatever comes to my mind.

So can it handle it? Any opinions are great appreciated!!

Laughing
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if it's a custom guitar, order it the way u want it! with custom axes, like suhr for instance, people have to understand that it's all depending on the specs. suhr could easily build you a fabergé inspired thing for 10K$, or u could order a basic strat with a simple solid black color.

the quality will be there, that's for certain. my guitar has a gorgeous paint job, really nice, and tough but thin finish. axe feels 'stiff', solid and rarely needs adjustments (depending on abuse and climate/season). but never have i felt that it's a gem -- it's a friggin' guitar, a TOOL, and that's what i wanted, and that's what i speced out.

but hey, if i'd ordered an elaborate quilted carve top, with f-holes and gold hardware, custom inlays and laser engravings ... i'd probably baby it. but why on earth would i order such a gay example of expert guitar building? Wink (apart from the fact that i wouldn't be able to pay for it ...)

Mirth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sumis,

That's all good to know. Smile And you make valid points, I guess it is up to me to tell them what I want.

Man, I really need to start gigging somemore, like daily so I can put money into this thing... I've made a deal to myself that basically takes 1/2 or more (if not all) the money from gigs into this guitar. Along with 20 to 40 a week put into an account.

So I've got a ways to go, but if I can line up 15 to 20 gigs in the next couple months, then I might be able to order by Fall. We'll see...
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell stuff. I got all the tat floating around that I meant to use but never did and flogged it: pedals, books, guitars, spares, pickups, cases, stands, tuners, videos, dvds...

To my mind I was happy to sell everything even the Strat I've owned for 15 years, I figured that the important thing was the memories and they don't belong to a thing.

I've still got some money to clear and a few more items to sell.. after that, I might upgrade my amp using the same philosophy... but you'd be amazed how much easier it is to focus with just:

tuning-fork,
metronome,
music stand,
Peavey classic 30,
Keeley modded BD-2
a supremely nice Strat

I've got a box to hold the Jen Wah, EB Jr, MonkeyFX Super Monkey and Boss RC-2 and a bookcase in another room for the books and magazines.

So err back to the message: sell stuff as well if you're comfortable with that Wink

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Peavey classic 30,
Keeley modded BD-2
a supremely nice Strat

a combination that will go a long way! the peavy classic is serious bang for the buck. quality might be uneven and might not be too roadworthy, but some really warm and juicy tube sounds emerges from that box.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: