Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - proxyoverride issue
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proxyoverride issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shapiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: proxyoverride issue Reply with quote

and galactose residues might be a ma- The use of transfected cell lines in com- the plant mitochondrial genome can be
sounds good marion and michelle yes i realise i need to clean the filter.. bad girl about half our light globes are the new ones another couple of things i've thought of - we had a flood in novemb
caffeine. Regular use of caffeine creates a extra fat. Don t take it every day. Take it every other day and on the days you don t take 4 green onions, finely chopped
and take only a short time to put together. But don?t worry, they?re still you?ve grown two inches. Does your Two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

Last edited by shapiro on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
loiking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've recently encountered the same problem as you, and believe i have found a solution. when using chromatics never land on a note out of the sscale at the end of a phrase. they need to be more in'between notes , in between "inside" notes. also it is good say if in a dorian mode, to slide or slur from a chromatic note to the 6th degree or the 2nd degree of a scale. this works for me anyway
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loiking wrote:
i've recently encountered the same problem as you, and believe i have found a solution. when using chromatics never land on a note out of the sscale at the end of a phrase. they need to be more in'between notes , in between "inside" notes. also it is good say if in a dorian mode, to slide or slur from a chromatic note to the 6th degree or the 2nd degree of a scale. this works for me anyway

pretend your explaining this to an idiot. You could be talking about the principle of uncerainty or Shroedinger's cat for all i understood.
shapiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats about how much of chromatics I understand at the moment, just the concept of it in general. But i cant really figure out how to apply it over fast phrases. I mean sure every now and then ill go inbetween two notes that are a whole step apart by playing the middle note (the one a half step away). But to play some of the govan stuff where every other note is a chromatic and sounds good? boggles my mind
Mirth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be:

1. Make sure you are comfortable playing chromatic runs in a fast way (meaning with your technique). So try to improvise only using chromatic scale. Make everything excessively chromatic. Try to get the feel of what’s happening. If this doesn’t make sense to you, make sure you can even play a chromatic scale across all strings, start to finish. Try it with 4 notes per string. Like this:
E: 5678
A: 4567
D: 3456
G: 2345
B: 2345
E: 1234

- So get used to playing up and down, stopping and starting in different places, but keep in totally linear, and completely chromatic, get used to the sound and the feel. Try moving it around, try different fingerings, but see if you can make a continuous chromatic run.

2. Now once you are comfortable with that, try it with a click track (if you haven’t already) and pick a chord (for example Gmajor –{GBD}) now try to land on a chord tone every beat, or every other beat, or every fourth beat, or whatever you can think of. Meaning, be in control of your chromatic runs.

- This I the trick to the whole thing is knowing where to land. That is a whole other topic. For some chords there are definitely notes you don’t want to land on, or stop on, like a perfect 4th on a Major 7#11. But on other chords like Altered 7th, there are a few more options, though again the lamest note would probably be the 4th, or major 7th.

3. Finally trust your ears, once you kind of feel it out a bit, you need to trust your ears more than anything, try to hear where the line wants to go, not where your fingers want to take it. By targeting notes in an actual improvisation, you will sound stale and rehearsed, but eventually you should just trust your ears to take you to the right place.

Well good luck, I hope this wasn’t in “greek” to everyone.

Cheers.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
shapiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great advice. Thanks, ill give it a shot
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mirth Reply with quote

That was excellent stuff mirth, how much do you charge for lessons? I'll have to owe ya Wink
Mirth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Mirth Reply with quote

Wickedpicker wrote:
That was excellent stuff mirth, how much do you charge for lessons? I'll have to owe ya Wink

You owe me nothing but some good music Cool , but...

This got me thinking about a thing that happened to me a couple years ago; I was waiting at Penn Station, my sister was taking the train in, and this guy, who was obviously a little nervous and sad comes up to me and says "I'm really sorry to ask you this, but I have lost my wallet and can't get back home, the train leaves in a couple minutes. Would there be any way you could loan me a little money?"

Well all I had was 20 bucks in my pocket, and I didn't really have a lot of money to spare, but I think I got paid the next day, so I asked; "how much do you need?" and he said it costs 20, but if you could even give a dollar that would help. So I handed him the 20 bucks, and he said to me, with a huge grin of relief;

'I'll never be able to give you back this 20 bucks, but I promise you I will give the 20 bucks to the next person I see in need"

I've never forgotten that, and thus the world spins. So I guess my reply would be, pass it on, and it's all good to me!!! Very Happy
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
loiking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pretend your explaining this to an idiot. You could be talking about the principle of uncerainty or Shroedinger's cat for all i understood

sorry i jumbled myself there a little bit as well Embarassed
i also thinnk that the way you play chromaticly is to do with rythm. if you have good phrasing, i doesnt really matter what notes you play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: