Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - What "Guitar Strings" are people using?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What "Guitar Strings" are people using?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: What "Guitar Strings" are people using? Reply with quote

I currently use "S.I.T guitar strings"

They are amazing, no fuse at all!

I would love to hear everyone thought's about guitar strings , and what's out there for options?

I recently watch "LES PAUL" play in New York city and he uses
MAXIMA Gold strings I believe?

johndenner
Ant711UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't tell the difference between one set and another, I just buy 10 sets at a time of the cheapest available via ebay. I use 9-42's and I only change them one string at a time whenever they break. I usually play twice a week and rarely have any problems with any brand of strings I've used.
BostonJohn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Gotta try them at least once! Reply with quote

S.I.T give them at least 1 try!

They tune the 1st time
Zorshelter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball Slinkys mostly 9/46
Riffermann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use D'Addarios, Slinkys, GHS Boomers...etc. But after coming across the DR strings, I honestly believe they are tops in quality. The 9.5, 12, 16,24,34,44 Tite-Fit are a very nice balance between the slinky-feeling 9s and the too heavy for me/guitar 10s. Can't wait for my Lava cable too btw Smile
Cass679

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's 10-46

Might even go up a notch as i like the strings to have some fight. Everytime i play a set of 9's now, they just feel like rubber bands.
adrianclark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Addarios... they've never given me any cause to change. 10s for the Strat & Les Paul, 11s for the 335 and 9.5 for the widdly Ibanez. Oh, and 12-gauge Martin SP for the acoustic.

adrian
StephenE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball 10-46 gauge (regular slinkies as far as I know).

I've got no reason to change the brand, although I've used D'Addario in the past and might give them a try again Smile

Cass679 wrote:

Might even go up a notch as i like the strings to have some fight. Everytime i play a set of 9's now, they just feel like rubber bands.

Hey there! This is Andelusion from the Petrucci forums Smile Just saying Hi.

I also find 10s a bit slack now! When I moved to them from 9s it was like heaven Very Happy I personally have an aggressive playing style most of the time so like the strings to have a bit of resistance.

Don't you worry that if you go up another gauge you'll eventually get higher and higher until it starts getting silly? Hehe, I think I'm gonna stick with 10s, I'd love a strat with 11s though (at least) for heavy blues.
loiking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to switch strings for different guitars. on Floyded guitars i tend to use 10's while on guitars that have tune-omatic bridges i use 11's at the very least. I think the heavier the string, the nicer the tone and i also find 11's much easier to play on than 9's.
adrianclark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What "Guitar Strings" are people using? Reply with quote

BostonJohn wrote:
I recently watch "LES PAUL" play in New York city and he uses
MAXIMA Gold strings I believe?

Didn't realise you could still get Gold Maximas! I tried some once, and found the gauging quite odd... a set of 10s felt more like a set of 11-gauge nickel strings. They kept their tone longer, though.

You could get Black Maximas (Teflon-coated) a long time ago, but I've never seen any... apparently Frank Zappa used to like them.

adrian
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I swore by the Dean Markley Blue Steels, but since then I settled with plain 'ol Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-46). They seem to last just as long and feel just as good as any other string I've played...and the price is very appealing as well, especially when you buy them in bulk.

I have a hard time hearing the difference between different brands of strings (except for coated strings, which I don't like), so consistency almost becomes the determining factor.

The biggest difference I notice is between string sizes. For me, 9s sound and feel a little thin, but 10s sound and feel just right. But that's all a matter of preference.
Cass679

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenE wrote:
Ernie Ball 10-46 gauge (regular slinkies as far as I know).

I've got no reason to change the brand, although I've used D'Addario in the past and might give them a try again Smile

Cass679 wrote:

Hey there! This is Andelusion from the Petrucci forums Smile Just saying Hi.

I also find 10s a bit slack now! When I moved to them from 9s it was like heaven Very Happy I personally have an aggressive playing style most of the time so like the strings to have a bit of resistance.

Don't you worry that if you go up another gauge you'll eventually get higher and higher until it starts getting silly? Hehe, I think I'm gonna stick with 10s, I'd love a strat with 11s though (at least) for heavy blues.

Hey, what's up?

Just as you mentioned a strat, I'm goin to be getting myself one for my 21st at the end of the month. Will probably have some 10's on it to start off with, but I moight go heavier for some of the SRV stuff i've been playing at the minute Smile
JamesHealey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used 9's for over a decade.. but recently decided to step up to 10's and they're destroying my hands haha, but im really diggin' the tone of them they're worth the hassle and im sure i'll eventually get used to them.

Always used Ernie Ball, always will.. they work and stay in tune.
felenoral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 10s for the longest time, but after trying these DR 11s, I think I'm sticking to them. Maybe I'll go heavier, but definitely not lighter!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dig the Elixir NanoWebs (10's) with the anti-rust treatment on the plain strings. I've had a set on for several months and they still look new and sound like about a week old now. The only guitar I've got right now is the original Root Beer Suhr Standard that I had initially given Guthrie. I still consider it Guthrie's guitar and I'm holding onto it here in the US since he can't carry around too many guitars between the UK and the US.

My understanding is that the Elixir NanoWebs are essentially D'Addario strings "treated" by Elixir. To my ears, they do indeed sound very much alike and that's why I like Elixirs because they sound and feel like D'Addarios but last about 10 times longer.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: