Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Evolving Fellowship Rig
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Evolving Fellowship Rig
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Evolving Fellowship Rig Reply with quote

Our noble Mr. frankus was kind enough to submit this photo of Guthrie's rig during the Fellowship gig on Oct. 28.

The Suhr Standard seems to be connected directly to a Fishman Blender pedal via the green Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable (TRS to TRS). From there, into the Mooger Fooger Ring Modulator, then to Digitech Whammy, then jumps to the small purple Guyatone Envelope Filter, then to the yellow T-Rex Mudhoney, then into the Barber Direct Drive SS (blue box) or the Dunlop Crybaby wah, a Morley volume pedal and finally into the Cornford Hurricane 20w 1x12 combo.

The Analog Man Clone chorus pedal and the brown T-Rex Replica digital delay pedal - I'm quite sure - are connected to the effects loop of the Cornford combo. The Technics pedal, I believe, is an expression pedal for the Mooger Fooger. He's also got the Analog Man Sun Face NKT-275 fuzz pedal there next to the expression pedal but it doesn't seem to be plugged in at this particular moment. Guthrie does like his little toys, doesn't he?

On top of the combo, it seems there's a Korg DT-7 tuner and the Fast Fret accessory to keep the strings clean and slippery. Wink I need to build Guthrie a nice pedalboard and get all this stuff organized! Laughing He may also need a buffer at the very front to keep the tone true all the way through the signal chain, but that's just nitpicking.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:43 am; edited 2 times in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clothing thrown on top of the PA speaker is a nice touch! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acoustic damping I'm sure!
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a Rizla packet (green.. I prefer the lighter blue papers, greens have the corners cut off) in there two .. this was used as a dampener under the 3rd fred when Guthrie did a solo using a slide.

Not sure how it's effect differred from the hair scrunchy...

I have the power!
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
There should be a Rizla packet (green.. I prefer the lighter blue papers, greens have the corners cut off) in there two .. this was used as a dampener under the 3rd fred when Guthrie did a solo using a slide.

Not sure how it's effect differred from the hair scrunchy...

what's a rizla packet? Question perhaps it also raises the action?

cool rig. seems a lot of good sounds to be had there. Cool

btw, that guitar is so guthrie!
Bowks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's Evolving Fellowship Rig Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I need to build Guthrie a nice pedalboard and get all this stuff organized! Laughing He may also need a buffer at the very front to keep the tone true all the way through the signal chain, but that's just nitpicking.

Whatever plans you have for his rig, please please PLEASE give him some bloody straplocks for that Suhr! It makes me cringe when I see nice guitars dangling precariously on straps without some kind of straplocks! Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's Evolving Fellowship Rig Reply with quote

Bowks wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I need to build Guthrie a nice pedalboard and get all this stuff organized! Laughing He may also need a buffer at the very front to keep the tone true all the way through the signal chain, but that's just nitpicking.

Whatever plans you have for his rig, please please PLEASE give him some bloody straplocks for that Suhr! It makes me cringe when I see nice guitars dangling precariously on straps without some kind of straplocks! Shocked

Good idea. But that's for Guthrie to do. Seems he doesn't want to change a single thing on the guitar. He told me it'd be nice if the knobs had numbers on them so he could quickly see where they're set and I suggested that he replace those chrome dome knobs with Gibson speed knobs or something like that but I see that he hasn't done that. I'll try to talk him into getting strap locks on there but I've always felt that one could easily drop or damage the guitar with the strap locks if one is careless (while removing the strap) and keep the guitar in good shape and never damage it without the strap locks if one is not careless.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
what's a rizla packet? Question perhaps it also raises the action?

A rizla packet, a packet of cigarette papers for rolling tobacco, in england it seems to be a tradition that musicians smoke rollies.

Good point about rasing the action, a damn good point. A normal packet has around 50 papers in it.. perhaps a pack of blue rizlas would be too thin Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: I've Made Guthrie A Toy Junkie Reply with quote

Now that Guthrie has tasted some choice tone gear, he is hooked for good! Laughing

Guthrie is in now possession of the RMC/Teese Picture Wah which he described to me as "absolutely fantastic". He's also been testing the Xotic RC Booster and says that intital impressions are really good and that he's looking forward to giving it the real-world test at the next Bassment gig. Ditto for the Axess BS2, which he said "It sounds like it's not there!", which he surmised would be the highest complement one could give to a device of that type. Next on his list to try and critique are: the Menatone JAC Compressor, the Automagic Silver Machine wah for a totally different flavor of wah joy, and the EMMA DiscumBoBulator envelope filter/auto wah.

And get this: I asked Guthrie if he'd be interested in performing the Jan shows through a wet/dry/wet triamp set up with the mini Rig of Doom featuring the TC2290, Eventide 2016, and the VHT 2/50/2 through a pair of Cornford 1x12s for the stereo wet signal with the dry Cornford Hellcat half-stack in the middle and he said he's definitely all up for it! He said Steve Morse was over in UK recently to give a clinic at the school he teaches in and that Morse used a similar set-up and now he's a total convert. So guys, prepare to listen to Guthrie playing through the wet/dry/wet RIG OF DOOM here in January. Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie just advised me that he tried the Automagic Silver Machine wah at the latest Fellowship gig and he says that it's "loads of fun. Love it!" He described it in detail even more: "What a whacky over-the-top pedal! This is what the Bad Horsie could be if it would only try MUCH harder. The construction is typically Teutonic and precise, the pedal feels uber-responsive and the little switch to give you the Michael Schenker "half-cocked" option is a great idea..."

I've been saying this for a long while: the Automagic Silver Machine wah is the best kept secret in the wah world. It's simply a killer wah pedal.

He's also digging the Menatone JAC although he normally doesn't use compressors in a gig situation. Here's Guthrie's take:

"Initially, I felt that the compression was diluting the dynamics of my playing, and that the only benefit it offered was that it made everything feel a little "easier". However, I'm slowly realising what you can do with a compressor (and it's quite a subtle one, isn't it - I struggled to elicit a bad sound from it!)
1) Nice little boost for the clean jazz soloing; with the front HB, tone pot all the way up, things sound a little rounder. (The Hurricane kind of compresses everything a bit anyway, because I've got the master vol all the way up, but I still noticed a difference!)
2) It's AMAZING for slide playing - using the same sound as above but with the bridge HB, the notes assume much more of a "pedal steel" quality. Add a touch of the Replica delay, and you've got one happy redneck!"

Real-world feedback from an unreal player! Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
zea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ed, ? .. The Automagic Silver Machine wah is probably the best wah out there ? I'm using the RMC3 right now... will Automagic Silver Machine wah be alot better ??
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zea wrote:
So Ed, ? .. The Automagic Silver Machine wah is probably the best wah out there ? I'm using the RMC3 right now... will Automagic Silver Machine wah be alot better ??

I sent you an email, but I'll reply here as well. When you're talking about products in this kind of a realm, there is no such thing as the "best". One can't say that a Suhr guitar is "better" than a Tyler or vice versa or that a Cornford is "better" than a Diezel or vice versa and the same with RMC and Automagic. They're both superb but quite different. If you use the wah a lot as a creative tool, you might want to have both for different musical applications.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: The Latest Version of THE RIG! Reply with quote

dave was kind of enough to take a pic at the gig last night at the Bassment and send me this photo of Guthrie's floor rig, which is looking more mumbled and jumbled than ever. Laughing Running out of space there, eh, Guthrie? Wink

Based on this photo, the chain goes:

Suhr Standard guitar with Fishman piezo bridge
Fishman Blender Pedal - piezo signal to PA
Axess BS2 Buffer/Splitter
Moogerfooger Ring Modulator
Automagic Silver Machine Wah
Guyatone WR3 Auto Wah Envelope Filter
Menatone JAC Compressor
Barber Direct Drive SS
Digitech Whammy
Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal

In the loop of the Cornford Hurricane:

Analog Man Clone chorus
T-Rex Replica digital delay

So I understand Guthrie would really like to use the RC Booster as well, but ran out of space and outlets in his power supply. Well, the RC is a pretty subtle kind of an effect and is not something that's needed all the time. Glad that he's using the Axess BS2 buffer on the front. I know he wouldn't be using that unless he noticed the difference.

Obviously, Guthrie is quite enamored with the Automagic Silver Machine wah. Glad to know that the JAC has made it on there. Seems the Barber Direct Drive SS is the only overdrive in the rig now, at least for this evening. Ernie Ball volume pedal has replaced the Morley. I do hope that Guthrie manages to not trip over all these cables during the gigs! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
zea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooo w, ! Thats some great infos right there Ed !

Automagic is out for live now ! Razz
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that Guthrie's rig will change from gig to gig based on his whim. It's not quite practical to string together everything he has, so I believe he'll try this wah one gig, try the other the next gig, leave out this and that one gig, and have a bunch of this and that another gig.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: