Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - How do I order a Cornford amp?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I order a Cornford amp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruno R.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: How do I order a Cornford amp? Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
I direct myself to u because i assume that u probably know best, but if theres anyone else that can help, its more then welcome!

I live in Belgium and theres no distributor here for cornford, so my question is if i should try to contact Cornford by email directly, or through the distributor in the neighbourcountries such as The Netherlands, Germany or France. Im also a bit worried about the shipment, cause it would break my heart if anything happened to the amp on its way here,so if there are different companies that u can advise me (reputationwise i suppose), that would be most welcome...!
Thanks, Bruno
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruno,

I think it'd be best to contact the man himself, Paul Cornford, about this and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

paul@cornfordamps.com

I'm sure you're looking forward to playing through one. Paul builds some mighty fine amps - distinctly British but they have their own unique sonic characteristics that set them apart from the bigger well-known names.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Bruno R.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed,
just wanted to thank you for your quick response! Ive contacted Cornford and from now its probably waiting till the beast arrives! Smile
I read that u sold your business? I hope it all works out, whatever it is that you're doing now!
Greets, Bruno
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruno R. wrote:
Hey Ed,
just wanted to thank you for your quick response! Ive contacted Cornford and from now its probably waiting till the beast arrives! Smile
I read that u sold your business? I hope it all works out, whatever it is that you're doing now!
Greets, Bruno

Cool! I'm sure you can't wait. Which Cornford are you getting?

Yes, I sold the TM biz as retail is not something I really ever wanted to do. I'm working at Suhr Guitars now as the marketing and sales director. It's definitely more up my alley since I had worked at Fender for over 10 years before starting the TM biz and I've always wanted to be in the manufacturer side of things. It all worked out well.

Thanks and let us know about your new Cornford when you get it!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Bruno R.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed,
I finally got the Hellcat and 4x12 cab I ordered directly from Cornford.
I had a few problems at first as the reverb didnt work, and one day later, the whole amp, but it was quickly dealt with by the wonderful people at Cornford, who sent me 3 spare valves, which solved both problems! Smile
Ive been playing it for 3 days almost nonstop now and I cant wait to take it on its first gig!! The clean tones just floored me... so transparent, glassy, clear, greatly balanced... Ahhh I love that Vintage channel a whole lot! The Modern channel might take me a little longer to get to know, since its so much louder I cant really turn up the Master Volume and its quite a bit 'angrier' then I had expected, but I know ill get the best out of it with a little tweaking and some live-situations.
How are things at Suhr? Hope you're enjoying the new work!
Kind regards,
Bruno
jordan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruno R. wrote:

I finally got the Hellcat and 4x12 cab I ordered directly from Cornford.
I had a few problems at first as the reverb didnt work, and one day later, the whole amp, but it was quickly dealt with by the wonderful people at Cornford, who sent me 3 spare valves, which solved both problems! Smile

Did I read that right? You bought a brand new amp from Cornford and within a day both the reverb and valves had failed?
Bruno R.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did read that right Smile
Martin Kidd assured me that that sometimes happens, and it was most probably due to the shipping. They sent me 3 spare valves, which I then tried till I found that it was the second valve from the left, and the reverb valve that were defect... This was all done very quickly, efficient and the people at cornford were most helpful and friendly.
Cornford Rules! Smile
gadget

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear then, the reverb itself hadn't actually failed but was rendered non-operative by the failure of one of the two preamp valves. This can often happen in transit, as valves are fairly delicate items. I believe Marshall had recurring problems of this nature with their power valves in the early days, necessitating a change to the more robust 6L6s for export models?

Glad you're enjoying the new amp Very Happy I have a Hellcat too and they are a thing of wonder. Kind of hard to describe what it's like to play one... a fulfilling experience Cool
Resi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruno, where in Belgium are you from? I'm from Belgium myself, would be interesting to see if you lived close, so I can come take advantage of your cornford Wink
JamesHealey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubes don't like being shipped.. end of story!
wallympls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the amps I have shipped and received I have only had one mechanical problem after it was shipped.

Tubes get damaged everday. Expect your tubes to not make the trip and you will be less disappointed next time.

Also faster more expensive shipping is the best way to go. For example:
I only send a amp with a reverb overnight.

Glad you like your new amp.
gadget

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallympls wrote:
...Also faster more expensive shipping is the best way to go...

+1 to that.

It's always tempting to save a few extra £$€ with cheaper shipping (and I've done it plenty of times Embarassed ), but it's false economy. I had a preamp sent from Oz to the UK and it cost me around £200 - expensive yes, but it was beautifully packed, well insured and went door-to-door half way around the world in three days.

Valves may still be problematic, but that's valves for you unfortunately. If you know what you're doing valve installation wise, I often find it a good idea to have them removed and well-packaged separately inside the case, then reinstall them myself when the amp arrives (you may need to have the power amp valves numbered for correct replacement).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: