Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Petrucci Forumites Weigh In On Craziest Technicians
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petrucci Forumites Weigh In On Craziest Technicians
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Petrucci Forumites Weigh In On Craziest Technicians Reply with quote

So I snoop in on what those crazy shredheads over at the Petrucci Forum are talking about these days (haven't been there in many months) and run into this thread about who they feel have the "craziest technique". I guess a long thread about something like that is expected to be found over there. I thought some of you guys may get a kick out of it. Guthrie is probably mentioned more often than anyone else in the thread, so I guess that's a good thing, no?

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50031

Well, at least Guthrie has some serious notoriety out there! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, I just successfully killed 30 minutes reading an 11 page thread on technique wars Very Happy

The Pirate Modes clip has always blown me away for how effortlessly Guthrie flies into that ultra clean, perfectly articulated, "Pirate-y" run...all while his mind and focus seems diverted to his students and not the guitar! I think what impresses me so much is that, when playing clean, so many fast players seem to draw out more of the percussive side of picking than the actual note quality. I don't think many of the other guitarists that were listed among the 11 pages can really touch this fundamental side of Guthrie...maybe a few, but not many.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Forum is good for a laugh every now and then. Still, some guys over there definitely do know what they're talking about. I'm sure Guthrie would be flattered to be mentioned in the league of Holdsworth and Lane. The key is the technique being used as a means to a musical end, not technique being an end in itself. The problem with a lot of guys mentioned there is that they're more known for technique than an identifiable style or an individualistic voice. But then, the thread was about crazy technique, so I digress...

My thoughts are that I have never seen anyone with Guthrie's well-roundedness or versatility and being so scarily good at applying so many different techniques. Also, Guthrie doesn't have that maxed-out fuzzy gain sound that so many shredders rely on to make them sound faster than they really are. I've played through Guthrie's rig and it's rather unnerving because you can't afford to be sloppy on it. It's a bit dry, bright, dynamic and unforgiving. It doesn't really have a lot of low-end, so if you don't have a clear pick attack or precise hammer-ons and pull-offs, you'll sound thin and sound like you missed the notes.

This is an aspect that a lot of the guys over at the JP Forum miss. Most of those guys mentioned there play with gobs of gain and liberal dosage of effects like delays and chorus. It's one of the reasons Guthrie sounds so fresh, organic and identifiable amongst the legions of shredders and technicians out there. His sound is truly in his hands and the guitar in an "acoustic" sense. The amp and his modest rig simply amplifies what's going on "acoustically" in an honest manner. His tone and voice are completely in his hands. The gear only gets what's in his hands out into the audience's as clearly and honestly as possible.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cass679

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
This is an aspect that a lot of the guys over at the JP Forum miss. Most of those guys mentioned there play with gobs of gain and liberal dosage of effects like delays and chorus. It's one of the reasons Guthrie sounds so fresh, organic and identifiable amongst the legions of shredders and technicians out there. His sound is truly in his hands and the guitar in an "acoustic" sense. The amp and his modest rig simply amplifies what's going on "acoustically" in an honest manner. His tone and voice are completely in his hands. The gear only gets what's in his hands out into the audience's as clearly and honestly as possible.

You've just summed up exactly why I love Guthrie's style and sound over everybody else's. Yeah, he's got the technique and musicianship to match, but alot of people tend to skip the part where they also have to have a good sound. Tone has become more of a factor in my playing now that I try to listen to players sound, aswell as their ability. This is probably the reason why I have come to respect more players like Derek Trucks and David Gilmour. I always imagine how unforgiving Guthrie's rig would sound. It shows just how good a player he actually is.
RD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a Shawn Lane interview I have (mp3) he mentions that there's a big misconception about "technique" since lot's of people seem to think that good technique is about fast chops/licks. He mentioned that Hendrix was an extremely technical guitarist since he was able to play with so much feeling including these subtle nuances everywhere.

Seems to me that most of these Petrucci fans don't get the point. Perhaps that goes for many guitarists & guitar music fans in general, not just Petrucci fans.

No matter how obvious some musicians make it - ignorant statements and "who's the best" kind of topics just can't seem to die. Indeed, it's best to laugh about it, but it's really sad at the same time.
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Cool

I have the power!
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
In a Shawn Lane interview I have (mp3) he mentions that there's a big misconception about "technique" since lot's of people seem to think that good technique is about fast chops/licks. He mentioned that Hendrix was an extremely technical guitarist since he was able to play with so much feeling including these subtle nuances everywhere.

I remember listening to that mp3 interview a couple of years ago. Before hearing the interview, I never really cared much for Hendrix (throw the stones now! Very Happy ). But Shawn explained Hendrix's nuances in a way that, for the first time, I appreciated him as a player. This was the first time I had ever heard anyone actually break down Hendrix's playing and put it into words.

Gosh, I used to be one of those goobers who thought technique was limited to the single category of speed. That was also during the most boring period of my playing as well. hmm... Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Petrucci Forum isn't so much a Petrucci Fan Club as it's about shredding in general. I'd venture to say that more than half of the regular posters there aren't Petruccu fans. Many there have said that they really dislike Petrucci. It's just become the de facto forum for shredders. I drop in every now and then just to see what's going on (to see what they're saying about Guthrie) and if there are any new players to check out, but that's about it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
brody_in_ga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I can't stand the Petrucci forum. Most of the forumers there have actually turned me away from Dream Theater! As sad as that is, I used to be one of there biggest fans. Oddly enough, after posting there and reading all the negative crap from them, I can no longer listen to John Petrucci and Dream Theater without associating it with those guys at the JP forum.

Rolling Eyes
brody_in_ga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Well, the Petrucci Forum isn't so much a Petrucci Fan Club as it's about shredding in general. I'd venture to say that more than half of the regular posters there aren't Petruccu fans. Many there have said that they really dislike Petrucci. It's just become the de facto forum for shredders. I drop in every now and then just to see what's going on (to see what they're saying about Guthrie) and if there are any new players to check out, but that's about it.

Guthrie gets some respect there, but many bash him there to. Some have even said there that Guthrie uses to much "legato" and other useless junk. One of the regulars over there even said that he was not "Original" or something to that effect...I couldn't help but laugh when I read that.

But for what its worth, the admin over there Paul Warren, came to Guthrie's defense.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brody_in_ga wrote:

Guthrie gets some respect there, but many bash him there to. Some have even said there that Guthrie uses to much "legato" and other useless junk. One of the regulars over there even said that he was not "Original" or something to that effect...I couldn't help but laugh when I read that.

But for what its worth, the admin over there Paul Warren, came to Guthrie's defense.

I know what you mean. I used to be a staunch defender against anyone who'd say negative things about Guthrie there, but it got to the point where I just said, "Why bother?" Rolling Eyes I came to this way of thinking: "If you don't get it, you don't get it. If what Guthrie does isn't your cup of tea, I'm not going to force you to drink it."
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brody_in_ga wrote:

Paul's a real good guy and he gets it. I admire him for running that forum. It's not a task I envy or something I'd want to do myself. I like the peace and the general "nice guys vibe" of this forum. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Cass679

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
brody_in_ga wrote:

Paul's a real good guy and he gets it. I admire him for running that forum. It's not a task I envy or something I'd want to do myself. I like the peace and the general "nice guys vibe" of this forum. Wink

That's one of the main reasons why I don't visit the Petrucci forum a regularly as I used to. Some of the forumites (and I mean just some of them), have a very hostile attitude to anything new and challenging. To be honest, there are a number of good minded people over there, but some just spoil it for the rest.
brody_in_ga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this forum here. In all the post I have read here, everyone seems so cool. I don't sense a "Im better than you" vibe here. I hope this forum replaces all others!!

And I also hope that Guthrie gets the exposure he deserves. I want him on the cover of the rolling stone!! Laughing
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might post a new thread there called "who is the guitarist with the biggest hands" and waite for someone to go "yeah guthrie has got midget hands compared to the incredible hulk, john petrucci watched that film once, guthries hands are so un-original compared to jp's" or something like that because you know someone will take the thread seriously over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: