Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's use of quotes
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's use of quotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's use of quotes Reply with quote

Seems like he's very fond of putting quotes from rather obscure pieces of music into his solos! I think it really spices up some of the jams, and I've started building up a "repertoire" of funny quotes myself to inject into my solos Smile

I'm sure I've missed some of the quotes, but here are the ones I've heard(from the Jazz/Fusion DVD and a few videos):
The Entertainer
Beverly Hills Cop Theme
The Flintstones Theme

I also heard the sax player quote Simpsons on one of the songs Smile
Will

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From various bassment gigs, i've heard bucketloads.

The only ones I can remember so far are:

The Simpsons
the theme of The Casualty

I'm sure i've heard him stick in ghostbusters too... classic!
Will

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, i forgot about

The Bill!

brilliant...
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Gadget
Popeye
Woody Woodpeckers laugh..
Sweet Child of Mine
In The Mood
Layla
A police tune
The Benny Hill Show

The last four were on the 28th of October, I reckon there are loads more, I just don't get because my musical knowledge is rather limited by comparison.

If you read any written passages by Guthrie, you'll find they're just as packed with references and constructions upon another concept, like the "what-if" machine from Futurama that wound up in the GT article where he plays Something in the style of Hendrix.

I have the power!
Edovinus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a quote of the Postman Pat theme on the Fellwoship dvd, unisono with the saxophone.
EricT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered a new one:)
At about 1:15:30 he quotes What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor!
Another things that's really cool is how fast the sax player catches up and joins in on the quote. Does anyone know if they work some of it out beforehand? Not where the quotes will be played, I'd think, but maybe the melody part?
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They play this stuff every week. I think the improvs are totally off the wall, I remember seeing Zak and Guthrie swapping bars or kids cartoons.. at the end of it Guthrie played a line that sounded rather like someone saying "shall we go back now?", Zak replies and there they are back into the tune.

I think the band communicate during each other's solos, there are definite gestures and such, but if you listen to B.N.H on the live album, the guitar seems to assert itself after a stage in the keyboard players solo, kinda like a reminder Wink

The pastiches are probably off the cuff but are reinforced over time. I used to cruelly play the classical piece (played in cartoons when people have birds flying around their heads) when any person, I was jamming with, got that glazed over look in their eyes.. they'd think "I'm X musician" and started ripping into the guy's repetoire*. It became a group thing, looping around and slipping into it.. or sneaking Star Wars into renditions of Johny and Santo's Sleepwalk..

* I got the idea from the Zappa You Can't Do that on Stage CD... the band starts playing it when a guy starts heckling Zappa ... "I wanna garden.."

That said I've heard quoting sound awful, one sax player ran through somewhere over the rainbow, does your hair hang low, Popeye and back into the tune, there was no mirth in what he was doing, it didn't work.

I have the power!
EricT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there definitly has to be some sort of context to it. Just suddenly playing a quote can sound really ackward.
But when Guthrie plays them, they sound so natural and integrated, very cool!

Btw, anyone knows what tune he plays at 1:33:30 on the Fellowship DVD? I've heard it lots of times, but I can't quite place it...
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankus, how does that classical thing go? I'd like to see that.

I think quoting can be great fun, but as others have said, if it sounds forced it doesn't work. Much like any lick really - it's usually pretty obvious when somebody goes "woodlywiddlywhee*STOCK LICK #1*wheedlywobblywoo".

Which, unfortunately, is just one of the reasons why my soloing sucks. Embarassed
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tab it out over the weekend... and ask my guitar teacher the name tonight.

I find the trick to ripping stuff off is to tinker with it enough that you can play it in different tempos and keys and genres.. I'm currently trying to shoe horn the main theme of the cat (from Peter and the Wolf) into a blues context, with loads of trills on stuff like the flat 3rd.. I first learnt it on the bass (it's like sounding the notes of an E barre chord and then some more). I'm also giving serious thought about what chords to use it with.

Reading a Zappa biography, it seems he wa quoting Stravinsky from the get go, on Freak Out, which when you listen to it, sounds like a massive swipe at pop music and the US at the time, the classical quotes passed me by. My knowledge of Stravinsky is limited to Petrushka and The Firebird.. the Shrovetide Fair is amazing, and I pinched the main theme from "The Infernal Dance..." for a tune I called "Snot Goblins" (Inspired by Ren and Stimpy) and heavily influenced by Isao Tomita's rendition of The Firebird

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember the name of that classical thing?

Cheers,
Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie and Zak used a bunch of quotes during the Fellowship sets here during NAMM week. I guess it's something they do all the time. The most memorable was the "Seasame Street" theme in midst of a solo by Guthrie and then Zak joined and then they kept taking the theme further out.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zak played a Tsunami relief charity gig in Brentwood a town not far from Chelmsford (and the Fellowships regular venue) with a certain Doctor from this Forum Wink ... the people we had next to us were boorish city trader types come along to support their mates in the second band (Zak and DrJazz did the warm up) ... after the first tune (including excursions into Sesame Street and Day Tripper) a guy who'd been lecturing me on the Les Paul on stage says to a mate: "now he can play".

The second band (Marlow) were good, but then any sound with 3 guitars, a drummer, bassist, percussionist and a harmonica player should have a big sound.. their contribution had a lot of presence .. again a band that size should.

I think Zak and co impressed a lot of the people come specifically to see Marlow.. by their shear musicality (they are rooted in music) ..

Best quote of the night also goes to Zak for:

That last tune will have Dizzy Gillespie turning in his grave... now it's Miles Davis's turn Wink

I have the power!
poochinella7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of quotes-and you forgot"teddybear's picnic"!- ithink what makes it so smooth and impromptu is what is called"gelling" or great minds think alike. Led Zeppelin had it ,Eagles,Steely Dan,The Doobie Brothers...the list goes on . Seth and Pete are also part of this whole interraction as they provide the best rhythm section to ground the whole improvisation of The Fellowship. Erotic cakes also has great moments of interraction between Guthrie and Seth who's been playing his new Suhr bass at the Chelmsford "Bassment"club gig..They all rock and rule Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: