Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Cornford Carrera anyone?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cornford Carrera anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimera963

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Cornford Carrera anyone? Reply with quote

I tried one of these the other day and was amazed.

Though I have a few questions. I have heard on many reviews that this amp cleans up very well just by turning the guitar's volume back. Is this correct? And if so, at what point in terms of how much gain you are using, does this begin to fail?

Also, I love the Fulltone Fulldrive pedals and was wondering what this would sound like in the front of the amp, to boost the gain a bit (when set lower, on the amp).

I was amazed how this amp could go from all sorts of cleans, vintage or not, to rock and even get near hi gain territory. And I really loved playing it.

I currently play through an ENGL Powerball and Mesa/Boogie 2x12" Recto cab, which is just too much. Too loud, too much gain and too big. I have emailed the shop I tried to Cornford at, to see if they would accept a trade-in for my head and cab, in exchange for the Cornford and maybe some fancy pedals, seeing as my current setup is probably worth almost twice as much as the Carrera.

Though, it's still early days and I'm just seeing what happens. I'd love to hear anyone's opinions on this amp!

-Chris
Bingefeller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I just got a Cornford Carrera today. Great amp, I really recommend it. It can get great tone at low levels.

I set the drive control at about halfway, which is kind of a dirty crunch sound, and use either a Boss Super Overdrive or a London Germanium Fuzz pedal. When I roll back the volume, with just the amp's gain set halfway, it cleans up very nicely and gives you a warm clean that gets dirty if you pick harder. If you turn the amp's gain up full and roll back the volume you can get a cleanish tone, but not a proper clean tone. It would do the job nicely though as there isn't a lot of headroom on this amp.

If anyone else has the Cornford Carrera - what do you think of the reverb? This is the first proper valve amp that I've owned and the reverb is very different from the solid state amps I've had in the past. It's very subtle....
gadget

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two Harlequins over the years. Great little amp. I miss mine.

I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to re-acquire one, or go for the Super-Harley Carrera instead. The extra features would be nice for that 'all in one' package, but the Harlequin is equally great for its simplicity.

Perhaps I'll have to have both! Laughing
max1986

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to get a Carrera for my 21st a couple of months back, i'd urge you to sell your soul, family, limbs.....whatever it takes to get hold of one !

With a strat it cleans up beautifully no matter how high you set the gain, even with it on full, simply picking very lightly will give you an almost clean sound, with a hint of grunt around the edges.

Ive tried various cheaper overdrive pedals infront of it (TS808, Marshall Guvnor and Bluesbreaker) you really do hear the difference in pedals, i'd recomend you use the pedal's gain boost sparingly, just to colour the amp and add a little more gain if needed.

Personally, i like the amps natural gain just how it is, i guess its because you're hearing proper power amp saturation as opposed to front end fuzz. Sounds very articulate, and mercilessly exposes any technical flaws in your playing Sad

as for the reverb, its very responsive, very versatile,smooth taper, not like a fender reverb unit where its either set to 'Off' or 'Cavernous,' effects loop is nice too

obviously its not designed as a gigging amp as its only 5-8 watts but i doubt you could beat it for recording and rehearsing, will improve your playing no end too, as i doubt you'll stop playing through it! like i said, If you get the chance, buy one, you wont regret it!

P.S - I don't work for Cornford Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: