Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Tabs!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Tabs!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
explicate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Guthrie Tabs! Reply with quote

If anybody wants a guthrie performance tabbed out let me know. Headin home solo, bluesbackingtracks, asia, whatever, send me an email. Cheers.

Jon
explicate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: clarification Reply with quote

just to clarify, I charge $5 dollars an hour. I request the money up front based on estimated time it will take me to tab (due to the level of insanity guthrie chose to put forth for that particular performance). I'm afraid you'll have to take my word that I'm not cheating you. If you trust in essential human decency... my paypal is available if you PM me, but I really should stress that my work is in no way endorsed by this forum. It will be done within 24 hours from time of purchase. If you want it done in a program like guitar pro where the rhythm or bass etc. is included that will be $10 an hour
anth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much would it cost to get 0:33-0:45 tabbed out of the bluesjamtrack bb king backing track solo by guthrie?
anth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could what strings are picked and what strings are plucked by his fingers be included in the tab aswell?
explicate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: replies Reply with quote

I'll give you that tab for free. Yes I could include what is picked and what is plucked with a finger.
anth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that would be great. when holidays ill definately purchase some. cheers.
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Guthrie will receive the appropriate percentage royalties for the reproduction of his music?
StephenE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
And Guthrie will receive the appropriate percentage royalties for the reproduction of his music?

Lol my thoughts exactly.
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought that, maybe worth checkin with guthrie or a moderator or whatever as to whether it is ok, unless you are guthrie, in which case you would have to ask yourself.
explicate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Lighten up Reply with quote

I doubt Guthrie wants a percentage of 15 or 20 bucks for tabbing his solos
Jon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lighten up Reply with quote

explicate wrote:
I doubt Guthrie wants a percentage of 15 or 20 bucks for tabbing his solos

Wow, what a great attitude!! Apart from being illegal to duplicate the music in written form without the express permission of the artist, it's downright rude to go on that artist's forum and blatantly offer to do just that. It's not the amount of money in question...it's the attitude that it's ok to steal from other people if it's a really small amount. How much money does it have to be before it stops being ok? Do you get to decide how much money you will steal from Guthrie before he'll be bothered by it?

If it's not a problem then maybe I should start selling mp3s from Erotic Cakes on here as well - Guthrie would only earn a small amount from each one so it's not really depriving him of anything.

I really am surprised that anyone with the ability to, and good musical taste to want to transcribe Guthrie's work would be so blind to the principal of ownership of musical work - it ain't yours and you can't do whatever you want with it.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most of us really want, and are keeping our hopes up for, are full authorized tabs for Erotic Cakes, produced and sold with the blessings of Guthrie and Paul Cornford. This has been brought up here repeatedly, and while there have been a few teasers that something might be in the works, it has yet to happen. In the meantime, I'm hoping that Guitar Techniques will eventually decide to put out one or two more of the EC tracks.

Another relevant topic that has been discussed here is the fact that Guthrie's work, like most guitar-oriented music, appeals to a niche market and is unlikely to generate substantial revenues from sales alone. In that light, any spinoff products such as sheet music, backing tracks, etc. assume greater importance for the artist and need to be protected.

So while I think it's cool that you're capable of tabbing out Guthrie's solos, I'll have to side with the others here who say that it's in poor taste to promote your wares here. If your work is really that good, then perhaps you should be negotiating with Mr. Cornford for the rights to do this properly and fully sanctioned.

Bert
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to nuke this, but I figured naah.

I doubt the guy is going to make any money from it and he looks pretty daft suggesting it.

I mean if I wanted to learn it, I'd transcribe it as part of the learning process, anyone with the money would probably thinks the same, kids who like tab aren't going to have the money.. or if they do they'll probably give it to the kid at school who's transcribing it for his own enjoyment.. and he needs funding Wink Cool

I know you guys think I'm always thinking "yeah yeah you were always thinking of nuking it, blah blah" but really moderating you guys is a real challenge, there's no obviously stupid posts to quell... next to no spam these days... but just in case you think I'm going soft, I'm not.

I've got a beard just like Chuck Norris and I can do his stare. Mad

I have the power!
explicate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a forum guy and my work isn't of professional quality, all I am providing is what many people want to know.... what the hell is going on in those 128th notes this man is playing. It takes a long time to figure that out accurately, and I enjoy doing it for myself but I figured if other people want to benefit from my work then I'll charge a small amount.

If you have the ability to tab his stuff then you should do it without guilt and share it with your friends. Music is free, the notes are free, the compression and rarefaction is free; all guthrie does is provide brilliant phrasing, dynamics, etc. like every other musician. Maybe you guys could go to open mikes and accuse people of covering stevie ray vaughan without paying his family royalties.

I think you forum guys are caught up in the bullshit surrounding music. The phrasing is genius, people including myself want to see it broken down, and it's hard work to do that, but it's not taking anything away from guthrie to do it in any way. And charging for labor is standard.

The people who can play Guthrie's solos can tab them. So far, those people who are paying for it are either able to tab it and are paying for the convenience; or their mouth is bigger than their stomach and they just want to see it like a kid looks at disney world. Either way my advice to you forum dwellers is spend more time playing less time bitching.

Music is free! Enjoy it!
stratoskier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear...

By the way, I play 6-7 hours a day, and up to 10 on weekends.

Bert
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: