Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Delay
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikke_998

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Delay Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a good delay pedal (so no rackdelays), I'll probably leave the delay on all the time !
guthrie and vai have very nice delay sounds and I am aiming on that type of delay sound, a warm digital delay I think. (eat em and smile, Passion and warfare or erotic cakes come to mind as examples)
I know guthrie uses either the replica or a TC 2290 but the replica is a bit too expensive
so I looked for some alternatives and found the tc-electronics nova delay. It is based on the 2290 and has 3 types of delay from warm tape to digital.
Also a boss DD pedal came to mind.
pls tell me your thoughts about these pedals or other pedals to get that kind of delay sound I described.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also look into the new Eventide Time Factor delay pedal. It sounds like the delays in their $2000~$5000 rackmount boxes: warm yet crystal clear and very musical.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really looking forward to trying the timefactor, but i'm afraid i'll have to buy one if it's as good as they say.

some common units that i've used, and my two cents (not even that, just some unprofessional and subjective comments):

the replica is a good unit. but not the only pedal that does that kid of thing. not too great bang for the buck imho. prefered the mad professor deep blue delay to it.

if you don't need tap tempo a dd-3 with a hi-cut mod is great. best bang for the buck as far as i know. it's no 2290, but it has a character of it's own that's really cool. i believe dd-5 can get the same mod as well.

dd-20 is GREAT bang for the buck. sounds really good. does a lot of things.

both the cheap and expensive line6 models (forget the numbers, dl4 is one of them isn't it?). the expensive one hsf geat features and nice sound, but i didin't really like it.

use a mixer for the wet effects in the effects loop. that way you won't ruin your tone. if the loop itself sucks (all too common), then you have other and bigger problems ... a parallell loop is cool, but as far as i know very few amps actually has proper working ones (the egnater mod50 making it's way overseas to my doorstep has a good one).

my take on the replica is that you pay a lot for really good ad/da converters, but you'll still run your nice tube tone thru a digital device. a mixer would be money better spent. BUT, it really is a good unit, and if one likes it (like guthrie), fine. i'd be lying if i said that i could hear it ruining my tone with digital artifacts Wink. it sounds great even before a reasonably dirty or at least broken up amp.

it's ten years since i played through a guitar rig with a 2290 (not as a outboard effect in a studio, that is), and while my ears, sound ideals and experience have developed (well ... changed), i still haven't found anything ... 'better'. it's a very special unit, although i actually prefer dirtier and less pristine sounding ambient delays nowadays.

the timefactor sounds sweet though.

sumis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just scored a timefactor. some serious pedalboard building will ensue.

loiking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of Analog delays personally. I like the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and i like the sound of the T-rex, which gets close to Analog sounds on some settings, but boy are they both pricey.
Zorshelter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The t rex replica is excellent, it's pure sounding for me just adds a nice delay to your tone, I recently bought a Timefactor and despite the fact that there are tons and tons of possibilities I still haven't found my bliss
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i could definitely get by with just a simple warm sounding delay. tap tempo is cool, just to switch between slap-back and a longer delay time, but really, a stock dd-3 (or with a hi cut mod) goes a looong way.

wayne krantz gets more out of a stock dd-3 in front of a not too clean amp, than even the edge out of a 2290 (hmm, that's debatable, i agree).

i think the replica is great. it sounds wonderful, but i still think it's too pricey for what it does. you shouldn't run your dry tone through the pedal anyway, so why pay so much for the great ad/da converters. but hey, without a mixer in a series loop and a simple setup: it's great.

i had been waiting for empress to release their delay, which just gives me GAS. but the deal i got on the timefactor (got it cheaper than a used replica) was impossible to tturn down. the fact that it has midi was also a deal breaker since my egnater mod50 switches channels thru midi.

with that said, a nice analog or analog sounding delay would be nice as well. one of the maxons, the mxr carbon copy, or the mad professor deep blue delay perhaps (digital but very analog feeling. beats the replica imho. less features though). the mxr seems like a good deal and gets a good rap.

so, Zorshelter, how are you using your timefactor? it sure is overkill if one just needs a nice trail on your lead tone . . .

frankde9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your opinion about the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai ?
I like the original delay effects within and the looper, it allows really interesting things : work on ambiances, jam along ideas, etc.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankde9 wrote:
what's your opinion about the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai ?
I like the original delay effects within and the looper, it allows really interesting things : work on ambiances, jam along ideas, etc.

if you mean my opinion, i have none, since i haven't tried it. i'd very much want to though. i'm actually looking for a looping function that allows modulation and tweaking. i'm gonna try one out as soon as i get a chance.

Zorshelter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

so, Zorshelter, how are you using your timefactor? it sure is overkill if one just needs a nice trail on your lead tone . . .

well I use it with a Mark IV, put it in the loop, controls it via midi, it really is a cool unit, I like the fact that you have different types of delays plus filters etc...the fact that you can use an expression pedal to control what you want etc....but I must say that I'd like to be able to control the volume of the repetitions and also that I'm not totally satisfied with the tone I get from it (I need time to tweak it and maybe try a mixer to transform my serie effect loop into a parallele)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: