Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Duncan '59er vs. SSV neck humbucker
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duncan '59er vs. SSV neck humbucker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Duncan '59er vs. SSV neck humbucker Reply with quote

The bridge pup swap in my N4 from the Bill Lawrence with the Aldrich was totally the right thing to do. Fatter bottom, sweeter highs with a complex midrange giving this thing its own voice. I've read on these posts that Guthrie couldn't imagine a better sounding neck pickup than the SSV, the '59er is excellent but maybe just a bit too scooped in the midrange. I'd love to hear anyone's take on the SSV..
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so as strange as it may be, I'm gonna answer my own question I posted about a year ago. The SSV neck or Aldrich neck seems to have a 'modern' tone to it, I'd say.. no midrange scoop like the 59er has slightly. In fact the Suhr has a slightly 'pushed' sound to it. After hearing Troy Grady play through a Two Rock Topaz with the 59er, he achieved this almost hollow-bodied clean tone, I've decided to keep the neck pup. Very organic vintage tones with the SD..and no dramatic imbalance in volume with the Aldrich either. I got the best clean tone I've ever heard with a Suhr Badger 30W into a Bogner 1x12. If you're curious to hear the SD 59er in action on a Two Rock Topaz, go to http://www.troygrady.com/mov/amps.mov and at about 2/3rds through the video you'll hear an amazing clean tone with this setup.
Riffermann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops...here's the Two Rock clip without having to search that whole video file (10M instead of 330M)

http://www.troygrady.com/mov/topaz-jazz.mov
Riffermann

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: neck pup Reply with quote

Ok so I had to see how the SSV would sound in my signature superstrat and man, I'm glad I finally did. Some background : The Hughes & Kettner Tour Reverb I use has an outstanding clean channel that reminds me of being somewhere between a JC120 and a Twin Reverb. The reverb is extremely good/smooth and natural without destroying the highs when/if you crank it. (The best clean tone I've ever heard was from a Badger 30W head.) The high gain channel reminds me alot of the over-the-top gain tones of Engls. The amp's crunch channel is weak and lifeless but I'm not a blues/classic rock player so I'm either playing totally clean jazzy stuff or DT type prog rock stuff. And I'm using a 2x12 Avatar open-back cab with a Hellatone 30 and 60. SO the SSV neck: I installed it an hour ago and I already know it'll be there for good Smile Both the Duncan and the Suhr seem to have the same volume of bass but the Suhr is tight whereas the Duncan is a little boomy. The Suhr doesn't have that midrange scoop so now I don't have to push the mids on the EQ anymore. And the coolest thing about the SSV is how the highs are smooooth. The Duncan's highs are too pronounced making the pick attack a little obnoxious If the Aldrich and SSH+ are 'corrected' JBs (as I read on some other board), then the SSV definitely qualifies as being a corrected 59er. btw, check out a YouTube video with Andy Wood demoing a Badger 18W combo using these pickups. Suhr has basically transformed my Davies N4 Washburn into something superb.
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how rolling back on the volume knob with the Suhrs that the eq doesn't get squashed, just an even volume drop. The Duncan's highs would taper and sound a little flat. The only thing I miss about the 59er is that gooey throat tone around the 12-14th fret is a little nastier and more nasal than the SSV...but the SSV wins in every other aspect. After using the 59er for so long (16 years) I feel like Blues players would like the 59er better. The SSV definitely excels at modern and jazz tones.

porcupine tree, Greg Howe and Guthrie 'No Governor' GOVAN
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you dig the SSV. It's a great all-around pickup and is great in the neck position with virtually any other type of humbucker in the bride position. Guthrie certainly digs it in the neck position of his Sig model and the blue Modern as does Andy Wood on his two Moderns. Very versatile, crispy clean yet warm and thick... I understand that the very articulate nature of the pickup may not appeal to everyone. Like anything else, there is no such thing as one "ultimate" pickup.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Glad you dig the SSV. It's a great all-around pickup and is great in the neck position with virtually any other type of humbucker in the bride position. Guthrie certainly digs it in the neck position of his Sig model and the blue Modern as does Andy Wood on his two Moderns. Very versatile, crispy clean yet warm and thick... I understand that the very articulate nature of the pickup may not appeal to everyone. Like anything else, there is no such thing as one "ultimate" pickup.

what that guy said. he tricked me into using one, and it's hands down the most pleasant sounding and feeling neck bucker i've used. it's powerful enough for modern hi gain smooth lead tone, and articulate and dynamic enough for woody crunch and jazz tones. splits really well and reacts wonderfully to the volume control. it also has a built in mini bar.

Riffermann

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed, sumis...

Last edited by Riffermann on Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
sumis

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riffermann wrote:
would immaculate tonal tastes, blond hair and blue eyes get me in with the ladies?

no it would not.

and be careful with the swedish variant of the "f"-word. ...

grooming is a winner i've heard.

Riffermann

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I've been using the SSV neck pickup and I love this thing. The 'bite' it has is incredible ... it's absolute jazz heaven. The Aldrich has astounding clarity and fullness for classic rock tones and rhythm but for alternate picking the attack seems stiff...although the notes sing beautifully. I'm gonna swap the Aldrich with the SSH+ and give that a try. Suhr pickups are top shelf..just need to tweeeak a little
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: