Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - To anchor or not to anchor during picking
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To anchor or not to anchor during picking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: To anchor or not to anchor during picking Reply with quote

I've been watching a lot of you tube video's lately and notice a lot of players picking without any of their picking hand touching the guitar. I've always anchored with my pinky and am wondering whether this is common to most people and what disadvantages there may be. It's a slow day so I thought i'd see what most people do and what their thoughts are.
Scias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When im using fingers to play the strings, I usually have at least one or two fingers resting on the pickguard. I sometimes do it when im using a plectrum too. I guess the only time i have my hand 'floating' is when im playing the lower strings. In any case I also rest my palm on the bridge most of the time so it's ready for muting. I'm usually resting my right hand on the guitar in some way or other, apart from when im right-hand tapping of course.

I guess its good practise to have a pinky on the bridge cos your hand will be more balanced and stable, but I find you should do whatever the hell feels right.

You guessed it. my day's been slow as well.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it. Go to guitarprinciples.com and ask on their forum. These people are about the only ones that really know what they are talking about and there's given in depth explanation in the book you can get there.

Basicly, you can never optimally use the weight/momentum of the arm & hand when you're already resting on the body of the guitar. Just think about that for a moment.

Besides that simple truth, your pinky will limit the mobility of the arm as well and you'll be forced to move the arm with your shoulder, which isn't a good thing, since the role of the shoulder should just be to keep the arm in place. That provides the stability alot of these great players have.

I'm not gonna start a discussion here since I know that's useless since there are too many people that will try it without anchoring for 5 minutes while they have been playing WITH pinky resting for 15 years, and then tell me it doesn't work for them (again go to the forum of guitarprinciples.com), but I guarantee you that all really great pickers like Shawn Lane, Al DiMeola, Gypsy Jazz players, etc. usually don't anchor for the same reasons. Some people TOUCH the guitar with their pinky sometimes, which isn't the same as RESTING on it.
1mbmb1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RD"]Don't do it. Go to guitarprinciples.com and ask on their forum. These people are about the only ones that really know what they are talking about and there's given in depth explanation in the book you can get there.

Basicly, you can never optimally use the weight/momentum of the arm & hand when you're already resting on the body of the guitar. Just think about that for a moment.

One can do that WITH anchoring, also. Maybe you can't.

Besides that simple truth, your pinky will limit the mobility of the arm as well and you'll be forced to move the arm with your shoulder, which isn't a good thing, since the role of the shoulder should just be to keep the arm in place.

Nobody defined the role of anything while playing guitar (and if. it must be the work of some narrow minded person) and you'll not be forced to move the arm with the shoulder when anchoring.

I encourage you to try and experiment different ways of doing things. Explore and then look (or better feel) at what you find.
RD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The narrow minded person is the one who makes statements without studying the book first.

Anyway, suit yourself. Ignore everything I wrote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: